What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Force of Evil -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
That's strange. I don't have this Olive Blu-ray, but the review at DVDBeaver mentions the extra, and has screenshots of the menu page showing the Special Feature option and of Scorcese from it.

menu_force_of_evil_blu-ray_M01.jpg
menu_force_of_evil_blu-ray_00008_menu_.jpg

Reggie, when did you acquire your disc? Maybe Olive lost the rights to that Scorcese intro, and changed the disc in later pressings. (?)

However, a recent review of the Arrow Blu-ray (UK), and DVDBeaver also confirms, that the extra is on that newer release:

"In a brief statement on the film that is one of the extras on this release, the director of Taxi Driver, the Scorsese film most inspired by Force of Evil, explains why he feels the film is so important."​

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
So, tried different player and same result. It really appears to me that some of the discs may have been manufactured without the special feature on them. I can put any other disc in either set-up and if there are special features on the disc, even if it is a foreign disc from another region the features come up. It is specific to this disc.

There just are only two options from the menu of this disc.

Also, it is interesting how this comes up because it is not as if the option is there on the menu and I can't get it to play...there just is no option for the special feature period.
Reggie, what happens if you move your cursor to the right after highlighting "Chapter" on the menu? Does it go to the right, where the Special Feature should be? If not, then it does appear that the intro is not on your disc for some strange reason. My main menu looks like the picture posted by Glenn.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Can you find it by using the "Title" option on your player? I have one blu-ray that will not load the menu, and to play the film I have to go into the Title option and choose it that way.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
That's strange. I don't have this Olive Blu-ray, but the review at DVDBeaver mentions the extra, and has screenshots of the menu page showing the Special Feature option and of Scorcese from it.

menu_force_of_evil_blu-ray_M01.jpg
menu_force_of_evil_blu-ray_00008_menu_.jpg

Reggie, when did you acquire your disc? Maybe Olive lost the rights to that Scorcese intro, and changed the disc in later pressings. (?)

However, a recent review of the Arrow Blu-ray (UK), and DVDBeaver also confirms, that the extra is on that newer release:

"In a brief statement on the film that is one of the extras on this release, the director of Taxi Driver, the Scorsese film most inspired by Force of Evil, explains why he feels the film is so important."​

I ordered my Olive disc a while back. Actually, that Arrow disc I think is already out of print, or sold out, I think because it seems only available on the secondary market. The Arrow disc has more special features than the Olive and according to some presents a superior image. I can't say as I don't have it to compare.

Yes, on the back of the Olive case for my disc it lists the special feature with Scorsese and the menu is the same menu in the picture you posted. It's an active menu that plays music and cycles through short clips from the film.

The only difference is the menu on my disc shows no SPECIAL FEATURE option.

Reggie, what happens if you move your cursor to the right after highlighting "Chapter" on the menu?

It just jumps back to play. No matter what you do or where you try to go on the menu screen there are just two options, PLAY and CHAPTERS and all you can do is toggle between those two. In the area where it should say SPECIAL FEATURE as shown in the photo I posted it is just the black bar.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Can you find it by using the "Title" option on your player? I have one blu-ray that will not load the menu, and to play the film I have to go into the Title option and choose it that way.

No, the disc loads normally and everything works on it just fine. The menu comes up and seems fully functional based upon what is there. In fact if you did not know there was supposed to be a special feature on this disc you would never know there was anything wrong.

Ha, in fact I actually didn't until I looked at the back of the box the other night. I guess the funny thing about this is it seems I am the only one with a disc that does not include the special feature.

However, my guess is mine is not the only disc that they made that does not have it. I did not order it right away. I think I picked it up after it had been out for a year or so. So, I am guessing maybe the second run of these were ones that were pressed without the feature. It would be odd if it were just me that would be as likely as winning the lottery, no?

Somebody else is bound to bring this up.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, I just threw it in to one of the players and took a quick pic of the menu so you guys don't think I am nuts. The menu comes up with just those two options. I can play the film or select chapters that's it.

View attachment 52960
I double-checked my disc this morning and it has three options with the third being Special Feature.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, tried different player and same result. It really appears to me that some of the discs may have been manufactured without the special feature on them. I can put any other disc in either set-up and if there are special features on the disc, even if it is a foreign disc from another region the features come up. It is specific to this disc.

There just are only two options from the menu of this disc.

Also, it is interesting how this comes up because it is not as if the option is there on the menu and I can't get it to play...there just is no option for the special feature period.
When did you buy this disc?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I ordered my Olive disc a while back. Actually, that Arrow disc I think is already out of print, or sold out, I think because it seems only available on the secondary market. The Arrow disc has more special features than the Olive and according to some presents a superior image. I can't say as I don't have it to compare.
I have both discs and I think the Arrow disc is slightly better video-wise. Man, the Arrow disc sold out fast as it was just released a little over a year ago back in late November, 2017.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
When did you buy this disc?

The truth is I missed that this had been released and then saw somebody mention somewhere that they had the blu-ray, maybe even here and maybe it was you, and I was amazed that Force of Evil actually had been released on blu-ray. So, it was probably about a year after it had come out.

Not only is the Arrow disc only available on the secondary market but this Olive disc seems to either be out of print or sold out as well. It is no longer available on Amazon and hasn't been for some time. So, it seems at the moment that Force of Evil on blu is a rarity.

This is too bad because it is a beautifully shot film that is often gorgeous to look at. I mean if you wanted to show somebody the "look" of Film Noir this has plenty of scenes you could use...and Garfield is awesome in this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
T
This is too bad because it is a beautifully shot film that is often gorgeous to look at. I mean if you wanted to show somebody the "look" of Film Noir this has plenty of scenes you could use...and Garfield is awesome in this.
Garfield was awesome in just about all his roles. He was my father's favorite actor so he turned me onto him when I was about 10-11 years old. He's now one of my ten favorite actors of all-time. He left the world much too early dying at 39 years old.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, John Garfield is a guy I wish had a longer career. He just had a presence when he was in a picture. He looked pretty fit to me and I think he dropped dead after a day of playing tennis or something. I don't recall if I have ever read what they thought was wrong with him. All I can remember is they said he was going through a rough divorce and was still dealing with pressures from the black list so he was under a lot of stress but 39 is way too young.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, John Garfield is a guy I wish had a longer career. He just had a presence when he was in a picture. He looked pretty fit to me and I think he dropped dead after a day of playing tennis or something. I don't recall if I have ever read what they thought was wrong with him. All I can remember is they said he was going through a rough divorce and was still dealing with pressures from the black list so he was under a lot of stress but 39 is way too young.
Garfield had a heart condition which is one of the reasons he was rejected military service during WWII. He had scarlet fever when he was young so it damaged his heart. I had an uncle that contacted scarlet fever and it cost him most of his hearing. He was indeed under a lot of stress during the last year of his life. He had marital problems as he was a known womanizer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The truth is I missed that this had been released and then saw somebody mention somewhere that they had the blu-ray, maybe even here and maybe it was you, and I was amazed that Force of Evil actually had been released on blu-ray. So, it was probably about a year after it had come out.

Not only is the Arrow disc only available on the secondary market but this Olive disc seems to either be out of print or sold out as well. It is no longer available on Amazon and hasn't been for some time. So, it seems at the moment that Force of Evil on blu is a rarity.

@Reggie W I noticed the Arrow Blu-ray is back in-stock at Amazon UK. This disc does play in all Regions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks