What's new

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So it sounds like the moral of the story is "Don't buy the capsaholic download" and instead get the Kino Disc if you want something better than the German disc since the most people with the disc and playing them side by side say it's a slam dunk improvement.

Easy choice since I never found the correct software to play the capsaholic version

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
It is important to note that this Archive at Yale involves 190 boxes.
So whomever takes on the task should have some serious time set aside.
But, once again, if no answers are uncovered at Yale;
don't rule out Marconi's hand-written musical cues;
which would be an altogether different archive or source.

Haha yes, it's certainly a stretch. In the end, even if I had that script in hand, the information is the same, Kino's disc is neither the release version or the uncut version, it's another one of those "hybrid" cuts.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Another potential problem with caps is that few people view them on the actual device they view the film on.

How a cap looks on an iPad or computer monitor has very little to no relation to how it might look on a properly calibrated display that you’d watch a movie on.

I know that my computer screen looks pretty but I also know I haven’t done a thing to calibrate it to home video color space for reference.

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
Another potential problem with caps is that few people view them on the actual device they view the film on.

How a cap looks on an iPad or computer monitor has very little to no relation to how it might look on a properly calibrated display that you’d watch a movie on.

I know that my computer screen looks pretty but I also know I haven’t done a thing to calibrate it to home video color space for reference.

Totally agree.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

When caps first got more widespread I did a few comparisons on the setup that I watch movies on. Luckily (or unfortunately depending on your point of view) caps from sites like caps-a-holic did match rather closely what a paused Blu-ray looks like on the same display.

Not very surprising given that one compares one still to another and decoders do not make that much of a difference either.

Armed with that knowledge the next step was to calibrate my monitor in the office so that I get a better idea about certain things like color temperature, detail and textures, noise reduction and edge enhancement without having to fire up the projector, lower the screen etc. etc.

Would I advise anybody to also do this when he does not see the point in this? Absolutely not when he is generally happy with the Blu-rays he buys but then that is not true for all of us especially when a movie is available in multiple versions or with more critical viewing.

So if one is happy with a disc no reason to second guess what one already has but for some there is value in looking at caps in addition to other information before making a buying decision.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
But can you do the Macarena while eating Macaroni - listening to Morricone ;) :dance:?
Actually, I can; but for some strange reason, until my May delivery of Morituri arrives at our dwelling;
the Macarena has placed on Moratorium.:wacko:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I, myself, have never purchased nor dismissed a disc based on Caps;
I am totally secure with the credibility of reviews written by those who have watched and listened to the transfer.
The text, alone, of various write-ups; plus my familiarity with each writers eye and tastes; has guided me best.
One thing's for certain, with each newer edition of a Leone release the expectations or demands get higher.
So, when trusted assessments gain noticeably greater grades; especially in light of prior outputs;
I say, "Why Not?", let's give it a go.
Splitting hairs and speaking of minutia's about grains and missing frames are also important;
but, once again; and as others have said before; the Leone films (or transfers) have had a most damnable of histories.
I sense that the search for the "definitive" color timings and cuts will continue for quite some time;
but, until them, this edition of "For a Few Dollars More" has piqued my interests enough to justify a future order.
Bottom Line:
I hope that the definitive(s) will one day be discovered, but it sure is nice to learn that we've arrived at something much better than before.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It doesn't look pretty because the caps are stupid and are nothing like what's on view on this thing I have called a Blu-ray. But be happy.

I only watched FAFDM recently so not sure when I will rewatch it but I was not happy with the German disc, too oversharpened and coarse. Hopefully by the time I get around to rewatch the Dollar trilogy there will be a well done UHD version available.

Spili

Agent
Real Name
Marco
For a few caps more

The good, the bad, the caps

So it sounds like the moral of the story is "Don't buy the capsaholic download" and instead get the Kino Disc if you want something better than the German disc since the most people with the disc and playing them side by side say it's a slam dunk improvement.

Easy choice since I never found the correct software to play the capsaholic version

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at. You do realize those lossless screenshots don't lie, right? Especially when it comes to caps-a-holic's software... What you see is a like-for-like of what's on your BD disc.

Now whether or not you notice the anomalies when viewing in motion is a different story and your prerogative to enjoy.

I feel like most of the praise this is getting is because it's miles better/much more natural looking than the previous incarnation, which is indeed true, but doesn't mitigate the fact that the underlying transfer has been compromised with low pass filtering.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Do those capsaholic not lie? Well that was my actual assumption or more to the point that they are meaningless to watching/enjoying the Bluray. Is it people's interpretation of the caps or the caps themselves that I find useless -- probably both.

I read too many of these discussions over the years and found them to be baffling after watching the disc. I read the discussion then watch or I watch the disc and then go read the Dissection -- there just isn't any correlation between my reality and that discussion. There are massively derided releases absolutely skewered using caps as the only exhibits in which 90% of the 'discussants' seem to have never bothered too see the actual disc nor even seem to think that's a useful idea.

I don't freeze frame my movies nor watch frame-by-frame and look for the worst frames zoomed and frozen to highlight supposed issues -- 1/24 of a second passed awfully quickly in my life. I just don't have enough time left alive to bother especially given no frame of reference as to the actual original film. Anything from 1967 is long long forgotten and the hundreds or TV stations P/S and cut version, VHS, LD, DVD editions have long since erased any neuron memory.

So far from the people who have watched the actual KINO release have given it almost a unanimous thumbs up compared to prior attempts which trumps 1000 caps frames.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
These caps clearly have a horrible teal cast to them
thumbnail.asp
;)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
[...] but doesn't mitigate the fact that the underlying transfer has been compromised with low pass filtering.

Has anybody from Kino ever mentioned why they do that? I also noticed it on the the other two Dollar films from Kino and looking at the original MGM release of TGTBATU and the Kino version it is easy to see that this is very fine and unobstrusive grain that has been hit the most and I can't remember anybody complaining about that kind of grain before.

It would be interesting to know if this is now a company philosophy for Kino or some strange mishap which is hard to believe as it has now happened to all three Dollar films.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Do those capsaholic not lie? Well that was my actual assumption or more to the point that they are meaningless to watching/enjoying the Bluray. Is it people's interpretation of the caps or the caps themselves that I find useless -- probably both.

I read too many of these discussions over the years and found them to be baffling after watching the disc. I read the discussion then watch or I watch the disc and then go read the Dissection -- there just isn't any correlation between my reality and that discussion. There are massively derided releases absolutely skewered using caps as the only exhibits in which 90% of the 'discussants' seem to have never bothered too see the actual disc nor even seem to think that's a useful idea.

I don't freeze frame my movies nor watch frame-by-frame and look for the worst frames zoomed and frozen to highlight supposed issues -- 1/24 of a second passed awfully quickly in my life. I just don't have enough time left alive to bother especially given no frame of reference as to the actual original film. Anything from 1967 is long long forgotten and the hundreds or TV stations P/S and cut version, VHS, LD, DVD editions have long since erased any neuron memory.

So far from the people who have watched the actual KINO release have given it almost a unanimous thumbs up compared to prior attempts which trumps 1000 caps frames.

Clearly screencaps have no use for you so it is probably best to ignore them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks