What's new

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
Yeah, the version there now doesn’t have the Samuel Goldwyn logo and appears to be the old DVD transfer. Was the HD version that used to stream there also available for sale? If so I would assumes those customers still have access to that version. My HD iTunes copy that I paid $5 is mine forever.
I'm not positive, but I don't think it was, as I'm sure I would have purchased it in HD from Amazon if it had been, and it's not in my Amazon library. After it became available in HD on iTunes, I purchased it from them for the same price as you. :)

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Umbrella Entertainment are soon to release Flower Drum Song and Thoroughly Modern Millie as a double. Does anyone know if Flower Drum is from the same source as the one being reviewed here?
And so far it looks like a cheap put-out.
No CC are SDH. But time will tell.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I wonder how expensive it would be to release a 4k of AIRPORT from TODD-AO elements.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
I saw it as well at Radio City on St Patrick's day. A very fond memory and it was spectacular. That's why a 4k to me would be a nostalgic treasure. Honestly I haven't even seen the film since 1970. I think I read up to that time the head projectionist there for some reason did not want to show 70MM. But Ross Hunter said it was the only way the Hall would get the film. It was the only first run genuine 70MM film to play the Hall during its film/stage show era. The rest were blow-ups.
Had I been older I would have gone to see Airport at Radio City multiple times. I remember Andrew Sarris writing he saw Sunset Boulevard there 21 times.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
Anybody else receive notification from Amazon the release date has been pushed back to June 1?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
May I inquire as to who is “they” that are streaming such a flawless transfer? Other posters on here are saying Amazon Prime’s looks like crap.
Just search my original thread about it - A PEEK AT FLOWER DRUM SONG. Not hard to find, but as others have already said, it was on Vudu.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The thread diverted a bit about Todd AO. I was serious when I hoped this release might mean The World of Susie Wong might get a remastering too.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I saw AIRPORT in 70mm at Radio City Music Hall. Spectacular!
And I watched them film some of the scenes at the Mpls / St Paul airport, back when I was in college. Lots of fun, and no one bothered shooing us away. I still have photos I took of Burt, Dean and Barbara Hale.

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
As I wrote because the head projectionist did not want to show 70MM. Hunter had to demand it.
And Todd AO came up because FDS is a Hunter wide screen movie which Mr. Harris says is a wonderful transfer and Airport which is one as well deserves the same gilt edged treatment.

And didn't Burt hate the movie but got a percentage and made a fortune?

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
As I wrote because the head projectionist did not want to show 70MM. Hunter had to demand it.
And Todd AO came up because FDS is a Hunter wide screen movie which Mr. Harris says is a wonderful transfer and Airport which is one as well deserves the same gilt edged treatment.

And didn't Burt hate the movie but got a percentage and made a fortune?
Since the Hall never ran roadshows nor planned to, they didn't see the need of going to the expense of installing 70mm projectors to replace their Simplex XL machines. However, they knew Airport would be a huge G-rated crowd pleaser and very much wanted to play it. Recognizing that there were at least a half-dozen 70mm-ready Times Square theaters that would gladly book the film, Radio City upgraded their equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RGG
Recent bookmarks