What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Flashdance -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think we're supposed to feel guilty about liking anything from the 80s.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Well, Pittsburgh has never looked so beautiful, especially the incline. It would make for an interesting double feature with Night of the Living Dead.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It's a gorgeous disc, whatever you may think of the film. (And not, it's not a bad film at all, either.) Surprisingly enough, there was actually an article in American Cinematographer about it back in 1983, and it looks like Peterman shot most of it on Eastman 5293, rating it anywhere from 400 to 800 ASA. He made note of the fact that it didn't necessarily push the grain beyond what the stock already had, but it did push the contrast, and he liked the effect. (He used 5247 whenever he wanted flatter contrast). The HDR grade on the disc really accentuates that contrast, almost making it look like bleach bypass. It's striking.

As for the grain, it certainly seems like it's the real deal, not scrubbed and then faked. I do wish that the bitrate ran a bit higher than it does, especially since there aren't any extras on the disc. But it still looks good.

Regarding Pittsburgh never looking that beautiful, I just finished up Second Sight's UHD for Martin last weekend, so speaking of contrast, that's a helluva contrast in terms of how both movies make Pittsburgh look!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks