What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One might wonder what Field Marshall Rommel might have thought of Austrian born Billy Wilder's second U.S. production, a 1943 WWII project, with Rommel played by in icy tones by Erich von Stroheim.

Five Graves to Cairo was released between The Major and the Minor (1942) and Mr. Wilder's little noir picture, Double Indemnity, which set his directing career on track.

Previously, he worked as a writer.

Shot by John Seitz, who was nominated for an Academy Award on location in the African deserts in Arizona, Kino's new Blu-ray is the best I've seen the film look.

Don't judge the production by the first five minutes or so, as all of the footage is dupe - dissolve after dissolve after dissolve.

When it gets to cut production footage, the image becomes much more cohesive with solid grain, and inky blacks.

Presumably derived from a fine grain, it's a solid affair, and quality means of viewing the film.

From a genre perspective, it may not be precisely as expected, as Mr. Wilder weaves a bit of comedy into the proceedings.

Miklos Rozsa did the score. He would score Double Indemnity the following year.

Image – 4.25

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've viewed this movie more than a few times in my lifetime with my last viewing earlier this year in February. I'm looking forward to upgrading my DVD to this BD release and the Joe McBride audio commentary.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Kino Lorber has been a superb friend to Billy Wilder and his fans.

I hope that KL might also be able to provide us with Ball of Fire (1941); as this will complete the BD availability of Mr. Wilder’s personal 21 Oscar nominations as Producer, Director and Writer.

Until then, I will be making purchase of Five Graves to Cairo and the soon-to-be-released BD of The Lost Weekend.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Kino Lorber has been a superb friend to Billy Wilder and his fans.

I hope that KL might also be able to provide us with Ball of Fire (1941); as this will complete the BD availability of Mr. Wilder’s personal 21 Oscar nominations as Producer, Director and Writer.

Until then, I will be making purchase of Five Graves to Cairo and the soon-to-be-released BD of The Lost Weekend.

Ball of Fire is a Goldwyn film. For the moment, at WB.

Reactions: PMF

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Taking my chances and ordering it along with The Milagro Beanfield War at DeepDiscount. I hope i won't have any issues with the shipping this time.

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks