What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... ™ Fast Times at Ridgemont High -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Amy Heckerling's Fast Times at Ridgemont High, based upon the book (and screenplay) by Cameron Crowe, was a gutsy, honest, low budget production in 1982, and Universal's HD-DVD represents the film beautifully today.

The look of the film was on the grainy side in original prints, and in HD actually it looks superior to what I remember seeing theatrically as a direct positive 35mm dupe.

Beautifully cast with virtual unknowns whose collective talent packed a wallop, the film holds up today as the '80s version of Nick Ray's Rebel created three decades earlier, or George Lucas's 1973 American Graffiti, produced on an even smaller budget.

Yet another great addition to the HD-DVD world of DVDs from Universal.

On the flip side, along with the SD version of the film, you'll find a quality documentary from Universal's Coleen Benn.

As both a film and software, Fast Times... comes Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Wow...

Ordered.

I need to stop reading your column before I have to file for bankruptcy

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
Ok, I've gotta ask, how do some of you fellas remember what films looked like on the big screen from years ago? I can barely remember what the girls I was dancing with last night looked like!

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I would guess someone who's studied and worked with film in as close detail as Mr. Harris has, would have no problem remembering how a particular work is supposed to look.

Me, I usually fixate on a particular detail so I can compare the film to its eventual DVD/HD release.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Ok, we need screenshots of Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool in high def. Only then will we know if this is a reference release!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
One of the all time great comidies with a great soundtrack as well. I wasn't planning on picking this one up but it looks I will.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
As I understand it, Fast Times' original mono soundtrack was not included on the most recent DVD release. Has it been reinstated for HD-DVD?

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
It sounds like the clarity of this release is so good that Mr. Hand would be able to confirm that, in fact, all the kids in the movie ARE on dope.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Having just received my HD-A2 a couple of weeks ago, I watched Fast Times last night and was impressed - a clear improvement over the SD DVD. Having watched this movie so many times over the years, it was great to see many details for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sur