JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMO, Far From Heaven wouldn't have worked at all if it were set in 2002.
It wouldn't have been this movie. It would have been something very different. This movie is exactly what it's meant to be.

I was actually anxious to get home from work today so I could watch this. First, the picture is stunning. Soft, smooth, gentle but, at the same time, with an outrageous pastel palate. Also, the soundtrack is just silky. It struck me how silky right from the start. I've only ever seen it on DVD, so this presentation was everything I had hoped. My old plasma was the perfect way to reproduce it.

It's the first time I've watched Far From Heaven in several years. It's interesting how some movies can change depending on the day and your frame of mind. I think one of the strengths of the story is that intolerance is portrayed in so many directions. In fact, there's really only character, Cathy (Julianne Moore) who never seems to reject anyone or anything. It can seem like it's almost entirely about racial intolerance, but that's far from the case. There is also the institutional intolerance toward Frank, (Dennis Quaid), or at least that Frank would face, if anyone found out, but what I appreciate is that it doesn't play favorites. No intolerance is let off the hook. Near the end, the one character who seems truly accepting, other than Cathy, finally is pushed too far. I don't mean to short change Raymond (Dennis Haysbert) with that comment. He recognizes the inequities he faces, he's just more willing to accept them than Cathy. Then again, he probably has less of a choice. One of the most interesting aspects of the story is that the tolerance and understanding Frank receives from Cathy is not returned in kind.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
A friend of mine had two free tickets to a preview just before opening. He asked me to go and we loved it.

I immediately recognized the Sirk style and left the theater comparing it to All That Heaven Allows. That film has pointedly negative comments about television, and Dennis Quaid's character works for a television manufacturer (one of many deft touches). It was surprising to see a gay theme handled in a Sirkian style. Note the psychiatrist who says we handle this issue in a "modern" way. In the 50s, people had to be modern.

Although I have the DVD, I have ordered the Blu-ray.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have the CDs for the off Broadway musical of “Far From Heaven” staring Kelli O’Hara. I am familiar with the movie but have not seen the stage show. The music is very well done and very moving. It is well worth a listen. There is enough dialogue to easily follow the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks