What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If Mr. Eastwood had a true mentor, that filmmaker would probably be Don Siegel.

Of Mr. Eastwood's early works here in the Colonies, which began in 1968 with Ted Post's Hang 'Em High, Mr. Siegel was responsible for four films, inclusive of the classic Dirty Harry in 1971.

Escape from Alcatraz (1979), fits into that late period during which Mr. Eastwood was still being directed by others.

The film is a taught thriller, and designed to have you rooting for Frank Morris, who we've seen mistreated by pretty much everyone at the prison, but beyond that given, it works beautifully, and remains a wonderful piece of entertainment.

As far as I can tell, Mr. Eastwood has directed 38 features, which must be some sort of record outside of the silent era

If you need more information best to read what Mr. Ebert had to say about it here:

The new 4k UHD disc from Kino, courtesy of Paramount is nicely done, and seems to fall outside of the grain and detail is our enemy mantra. Color, densities, yes, even grain structure, all fall within a pleasurable area.

Zero downside here.

For the record we've had two recent releases of Mr. Eastwood's work in 4k courtesy of Kino.

Keep them coming, please!

Image - 4.5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS -HD MA 5.1 & 2.0 Monaural)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Recent Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 3.75

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
For the record we've had two recent releases of Mr. Eastwood's work in 4k courtesy of Kino.

On top of the previous three "Man With No Name" 4K releases, there's at least one more announced but not yet scheduled: Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. I would be surprised if more of the Eastwood titles they released on Blu-ray a couple of years ago didn't get a 4K upgrade. Three of them were Siegel films (Two Mules for Sister Sara, The Beguiled, and Coogan's Bluff), one a John Sturges film (Joe Kidd), and two were Eastwood directed (Play Misty for Me and The Eiger Sanction).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
On top of the previous three "Man With No Name" 4K releases, there's at least one more announced but not yet scheduled: Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. I would be surprised if more of the Eastwood titles they released on Blu-ray a couple of years ago didn't get a 4K upgrade. Three of them were Siegel films (Two Mules for Sister Sara, The Beguiled, and Coogan's Bluff), one a John Sturges film (Joe Kidd), and two were Eastwood directed (Play Misty for Me and The Eiger Sanction).
All deserve a place on the shelf.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
As long as we've got the Don Siegel wishlist going, let's add Charley Varrick and Madigan to that one.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched this disc recently and was very pleased. A nice upgrade from the old BD. Color in particular so much better saturated and detail is noticeably improved too. I did see a bit of grain reduction or something in a few scenes, but minor enough. I've always loved this movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks