What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Eastern Promises -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
David Cronenberg's 2007 Eastern Promises has been released on 4k by Kino via Universal. To me, it's an odd one for Mr. Cronenberg, who usually seems to be working in other genres.

An interesting, well-cast film about the Russian mob in London, and as Roger Ebert notes in his 2007 review, these aren't the Corleone's.

Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts, Armin Mueller-Stahl are the leads.

This appears to be a scan of recent heritage, with a nicely rendered grain structure, solid colors, rich blacks and an appropriate gray scale.

The only very minor point that stood out to me was an oddly captured highlight early on, in the the grain didn't seem happy. Other than that, it's a quality presentation.

Image – 4.25 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 3.75

Beautiful, appropriate organic grain - Naturally

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
David Cronenberg's 2007 Eastern Promises has been released on 4k by Kino via Universal. To me, it's an odd one for Mr. Cronenberg, who usually seems to be working in other genres.
You haven't seen 2005's A History Of Violence, also starring Viggo Mortensen? It's in dire need of a 4K upgrade too.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I have, and also not his norm.
A very accomplished director, many people associate David Cronenberg only with science fiction and horror - which is what he started out with, and became famous for. However, I would argue that it isn't his norm, any more than Paul Verhoeven's norm is huge Hollywood sci-fi blockbusters. Cronenberg has made just as many films outside these genres. His films made during the last twenty years: Spider (2002), A History Of Violence (2005), Eastern Promises (2007), A Dangerous Method (2011), Cosmopolis (2012) and Maps To The Stars (2014) although unconventional and uncommercial, wouldn't fit neatly into science fiction or horror. Fast Company (1979), M. Butterfly (1993) and Crash (1996) wouldn't fit neatly into science fiction or horror either, although they all have elements of body horror.

After a long hiatus, it looks like he's heading back to where he started, with an old script: Crimes Of The Future - starring Viggo Mortensen again. I'm really looking forward to this, as I thought he would never make another film again.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A very accomplished director, many people associate David Cronenberg only with science fiction and horror - which is what he started out with, and became famous for. However, I would argue that it isn't his norm, any more than Paul Verhoeven's norm is huge Hollywood sci-fi blockbusters. Cronenberg has made just as many films outside these genres. His films made during the last twenty years: Spider (2002), A History Of Violence (2005), Eastern Promises (2007), A Dangerous Method (2011), Cosmopolis (2012) and Maps To The Stars (2014) although unconventional and uncommercial, wouldn't fit neatly into science fiction or horror. Fast Company (1979), M. Butterfly (1993) and Crash (1996) wouldn't fit neatly into science fiction or horror either, although they all have elements of body horror.

After a long hiatus, it looks like he's heading back to where he started, with an old script: Crimes Of The Future - starring Viggo Mortensen again. I'm really looking forward to this, as I thought he would never make another film again.
He’s a wonderful filmmaker.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
IMDB Specs say this was a 2K DI. Did they use a film out or something?
Could be an upscale… many look excellent.

Not sure what extra you’d get from scanning a 2k film out in 4k for home video aside from generational loss…

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Yeah, as I'd been seeing him act in a recurring role in Star Trek: Discovery the past couple of years, it had occurred to me that it had been a long time since his last movie. I'd been figuring that he'd decided to retire from filmmaking, and that this little bit of acting was just a way to make a little pocket change while enjoying retirement. I was surprised when news came out about Crimes of the Future. I'm very much looking forward to it.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
You haven't seen 2005's A History Of Violence, also starring Viggo Mortensen? It's in dire need of a 4K upgrade too.
In dire need of a 2K upgrade too, all sorts of problems prevented me from upgrading from DVD.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
IMDB Specs say this was a 2K DI. Did they use a film out or something?
I read online that it's a re-encode and upscale of the original HD source. The 2008 Blu-ray got high marks too. I have the DVD, that also looks good, and purchased the KL regular Blu-ray (disc only) from Ebay, it looks superb.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's a great overview of Cronenberg's oeuvre published on Little White Lies

Inevitably, I disagree with their rankings but looking at that list makes you realize how much really great work that Cronenberg has done.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Inevitably, I disagree with their rankings but looking at that list makes you realize how much really great work that Cronenberg has done.
We really need eXistenZ and Spider - these don't exist on hi-def physical media or streaming, as far as I'm aware. And please let us have new scans of Dead Ringers, The Fly and A History Of Violence. Is that too much to ask for?

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
We really need eXistenZ and Spider - these don't exist on hi-def physical media or streaming, as far as I'm aware. And please let us have new scans of Dead Ringers, The Fly and A History Of Violence. Is that too much to ask for?

eXistenZ was released on Blu-ray by Echo Bridge. It was not a good release and could definitely use a remaster/reissue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks