What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Easter Parade -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 8, 1999
Messages
13,600
Real Name
Robert Harris
Interesting the way that things work out.Vincente Minnelli's Easter Parade, starring Judy Garland, Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse, became Charles Walters' Easter Parade, starring Judy Garland, Fred Astaire and Ann Miller.The 1948 three-strip Technicolor M-G-M musical was to be a follow-up to The Pirate, but came in at a lower budget, and with the majority of original talent replaced.Apparently Mr. Kelly was an extremely fierce athletic competitor, and was so frustrated, finding himself losing a volleyball game at his home, he broke an ankle shortly before production was to begin.Mr. Walters had, who had done his time as dance director at M-G-M, and who was given the directorial reigns of Good News in 1947, was given the director's chair by Arthur Freed, and went on to direct for another two decades.Mr. Astaire was then in retirement, and receiving a call from Mr. Kelly came out of said retirement, and never went back in.Ms. Charisse supposedly also hurt herself in some way (I don't recall the details) and also had to be replaced at the very last moment, with Ms Miller, who had just arrived at M-G-M from Columbia.A beautiful little film, Warner Bros. new Blu-ray is a delightful, if imperfect affair.Part of the problem is extant elements.The final reel, 7A/B was lost in the GEH fire, and comes from master fine grains. As dupes were already dupes, cut into original, we lose two generations, and slight contrast rings, not to be confused with "ringing," are part of the image. There's nothing to be done about it.A bit of occasional mis-registration, but nothing either untoward or troublesome.Color, which is generally gorgeous, seems at time, a bit heavy.Other than that, this is a beautiful Blu-ray, and yet another wonderful example of what Technicolor looked like in the late 1940s and early '50s.Image - 4Audio - 5Highly Recommended.RAH
 

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
22,703
Location
Charlotte, NC
Real Name
Matt Hough
Cyd Charisse had gotten pregnant and couldn't do the film. Ann Miller auditioned with several other dancing ladies and won the role and an MGM contract.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

ahollis

Premium
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
7,952
Location
New Orleans
Real Name
Allen
MattH. said:
Cyd Charisse had gotten pregnant and couldn't do the film. Ann Miller auditioned with several other dancing ladies and won the role and an MGM contract.
Ann Miller could do no wrong in my book. Thank you Mr Harrris for informing us of the imperfection and the reasons so there will be little complaining. As this is one of my favorite MGM musicals I look forward to its release on Tuesday.
 

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
2,997
Real Name
Ray
Robert Harris said:
Interesting the way that things work out. Vincente Minnelli's Easter Parade, starring Judy Garland, Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse, became Charles Walters' Easter Parade, starring Judy Garland, Fred Astaire and Ann Miller. The 1948 three-strip Technicolor M-G-M musical was to be a follow-up to The Pirate, but came in at a lower budget, and with the majority of original talent replaced. Apparently Mr. Kelly was an extremely fierce athletic competitor, and was so frustrated, finding himself losing a volleyball game at his home, he broke an ankle shortly before production was to begin. Mr. Walters had, who had done his time as dance director at M-G-M, and who was given the directorial reigns of Good News in 1947, was given the director's chair by Arthur Freed, and went on to direct for another two decades. Mr. Astaire was then in retirement, and receiving a call from Mr. Kelly came out of said retirement, and never went back in. Ms. Charisse supposedly also hurt herself in some way (I don't recall the details) and also had to be replaced at the very last moment, with Ms Miller, who had just arrived at M-G-M from Columbia. A beautiful little film, Warner Bros. new Blu-ray is a delightful, if imperfect affair. Part of the problem is extant elements. The final reel, 7A/B was lost in the GEH fire, and comes from master fine grains.  As dupes were already dupes, cut into original, we lose two generations, and slight contrast rings, not to be confused with "ringing," are part of the image.  There's nothing to be done about it. A bit of occasional mis-registration, but nothing either untoward or troublesome. Color, which is generally gorgeous, seems at time, a bit heavy. Other than that, this is a beautiful Blu-ray, and yet another wonderful example of what Technicolor looked like in the late 1940s and early '50s. Image - 4 Audio - 5 Highly Recommended. RAH
GEH fire? Is that the big MGM fire in the late 1960s.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
276
Real Name
Brian Rose
Man that big MGM fire is the burn that keeps on burning. Seems everything we miss now, the last surviving print was lost in THAT fire!
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
3,709
Real Name
David
First domestic Fred Astaire musical. I am so happy. I'm hoping this opens the doors for many more to come. I am puzzled over the mis-registration comment. I know that for the DVD, this underwent the Ultra-Resolution process which was designed to eliminate mis-registration errors. David Edit: having read through the DVD review, it appears that also showed some signs of mis-registration errors - possibly in the missing original reel scenes.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

JoeDoakes said:
GEH fire? Is that the big MGM fire in the late 1960s.
1978. The George Eastman House lost the original camera negatives for 329 films, while the National Archives lost 12.6 million feet of newsreel footage.
 

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Joined
Nov 10, 2010
Messages
422
Location
the wet coast
Real Name
Jon Paul
Holy s***!! I had no idea that so much newsreel footage had gone up in smoke. An unbelieveable historic loss. I suppose dupes of most of the newsreel stuff survives, but not to have the original footage – the mind simply staggers under the blow. Damn.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2009
Messages
4,082
Real Name
Ben
theonemacduff said:
Holy s***!! I had no idea that so much newsreel footage had gone up in smoke. An unbelieveable historic loss. I suppose dupes of most of the newsreel stuff survives, but not to have the original footage – the mind simply staggers under the blow. Damn.
I don't think dupes exists. Most of it is just gone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
2,997
Real Name
Ray
Fires are to film what plane crashes are to music performers. It's remarkable that there have been so many.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jul 3, 1997
Messages
57,457
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching this film for the very first time...on Blu-ray no less... I enjoyed the film, though I wouldn't rank it as one of my all-time favorite musicals. Noticed many of the things that Robert Harris talked about. Color did seem a bit heavy now and then, but even more troublesome than that was the constant color changes in flesh tones and backgrounds. The restaurant sequence where the waiter is pretending to make a salad is the perfect example of how colors go from a pink to greenish tone and then back again. As Robert stated, nothing overly troublesome, but just something you notice. Another tidbit I noticed was how the higher resolution that Blu-ray provides brings out the seams in the back screen effect used during Astaire's slow-motion moves against a fast-moving dance number. On the more positive side, there isn't a blemish to be seen anywhere. In all, this film looks absolutely pristine.
 

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Joined
Feb 21, 2012
Messages
78
Real Name
David Edwards
My copy arrived from Amazon today. I'm guessing I received the Canadian disc in my case, as it's missing the American Masters Judy Garland documentary. It is listed as one of the special features on the back of the case. I read a review that the US version contains the documentary, but the Canadian and UK versions do not. Did anyone else get the US version yet who can confirm that documentary is there? "I ordered Easter Parade through an American video distributor so I am blessed to report that this disc contains the American Masters documentary on Judy Garland ‘By Myself’. U.K. and Canadian discs do not, presumably because PBS has denied the rights for distribution outside of the United States.". http://nixpixdvdmoviereviewsandmore.blogspot.com/2013/02/easter-parade-blu-ray-mgm-1948-warner.html
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

Received my copy today. I popped it in to check out a few scenes. Wow! Now this is Technicolor! The pinks were electric!
 

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Messages
2,848
Location
PA
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by RetroGuy
My copy arrived from Amazon today. I'm guessing I received the Canadian disc in my case, as it's missing the American Masters Judy Garland documentary. It is listed as one of the special features on the back of the case. I read a review that the US version contains the documentary, but the Canadian and UK versions do not. Did anyone else get the US version yet who can confirm that documentary is there?
"I ordered Easter Parade through an American video distributor so I am blessed to report that this disc contains the American Masters documentary on Judy Garland ‘By Myself’. U.K. and Canadian discs do not, presumably because PBS has denied the rights for distribution outside of the United States.". http://nixpixdvdmoviereviewsandmore.blogspot.com/2013/02/easter-parade-blu-ray-mgm-1948-warner.html
Everything I've read claims the documentary is not actually present on ANY version of the blu-ray. I'm wondering if the reviewer you referenced got confused by the fact that is LISTED on the back of the blu-ray as being included even though it isn't. My copy was waiting for me when I got home (late) last night and, truth be told, I was more interested (like Eric) in popping it in to spot check what the movie looked like and I never thought to even check the special features.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2004
Messages
2,072
Location
Southern California
Real Name
Rob Ray
I received my US copy yesterday and though the documentary is listed on the back, it is nowhere to be found on the disc. Better hang onto your DVD. The transfer is lovely, with more information on the sides. The opening credit background is no longer cropped on the sides.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

ahollis

Premium
Joined
Mar 1, 2007
Messages
7,952
Location
New Orleans
Real Name
Allen
Received mine also yesterday and no documyary on Blu, though it is listed on the back.cover. Great piece of entertainment and very enjoyable transfer even if the source elements are not perfect.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2006
Messages
22,703
Location
Charlotte, NC
Real Name
Matt Hough
After I read last week that the "By Myself" American Masters special was not going to be included on the Blu, I took out my DVD and watched it. No wonder it won Emmys! It's a superb overview of her life and career. I had seen it before, but I hadn't watched it in a couple of years and had forgotten how well done it was.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Messages
4,087
Rob_Ray said:
I received my US copy yesterday and though the documentary is listed on the back, it is nowhere to be found on the disc. Better hang onto your DVD. The transfer is lovely, with more information on the sides. The opening credit background is no longer cropped on the sides.
Okay, who do we sue. That's false advertising! Seriously--I'm gonna wait and find out what's going on before I buy it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
346,015
Messages
4,763,696
Members
141,637
Latest member
avinrulez
Top