What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Eagle Eye -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As I was viewing Eagle Eye, two things kept going through my mind. The first was that this was yet another "homage" to Sir Alfred -- the loved the camera slowing moving in on the boy playing the trumpet a la Young and Innocent -- as well as to 2001's Hal.

The second is that every time I see Mr. LeBeouf, he seem to be either running away from someone / something, or toward them / it.

Eagle Eye did not fare terribly well when reviewed, but I'm pleased that I took the time to view the Blu-ray, which is about as perfect as a BD can get.

I'm going to issue a spoiler alert, so if you want to keep what surprises there are intact, immediately move to below the asterisks. (***)

The film is about the American Federal government, and its ability to track every citizen that either carries an electronic device or walks in front of electronic cameras.

The film is about an attempt to assassinate not only the President, but the next dozen or so below him, in order to bring in an entirely new government.

Why?

Because the President approved an attack on foreign soil that escalated world tensions and terrorist activity toward Americans.

My personal feeling about assassinations is that they're generally a bad idea, poor form if you will, unless the individual involved is so reprehensible that there's no other way around it, such as an election. That's one of the nice things about our country.

The French had their own way of dealing with problems a couple of hundred years ago.

The other point that I found interesting is that while the plot isn't terribly plausible, it does make one wonder precisely how intrusive the government's capabilities are. Is your cell phone your enemy?

Bottom line is that the film, via its beautiful Blu-ray release is a decent way to lose a couple of hours if need be. For me it was an ice storm.

RAH

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As long as a person is willing to really suspend disbelief then it is a decent movie. A person who likes to dissect movies will likely not think much of this one. There is also more than a passing nod to 'War Games' in the flick. In some ways, I actually liked this one better than 'Wanted'.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Much better then wanted.
although it did make me wish for a blu-ray of 3 Days of the Condor.

I liked Eagle Eye but something about the reveal of who the bad guy
was disappointed me a bit.

I wanted more then a HAL like computer situation

MikeM

Screenwriter
I can check my logic at the door in most cases and enjoy popcorn entertainment for what it is like 24 and such, but this movie was laughably bad in my opinion.

Just stolen parts from War Games, Enemy of the State, 24, The Fugitive and 2001 and it wasn't even done well.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

I'm also sick of movies that fade into slow-mo every 5 minutes. It gets old. It's becoming the biggest movie cliche' there is. In fact, I can't even think of a single movie from the past 10 years that doesn't have a slow-mo sequence! As for Mr. LeBeouf--no offense to him or his mom, but am I alone in thinking he's the most over-rated movie star since Pia Zadora? It's like his whole career is based on hype. He's not a bad actor, but I'm always hearing people like Steven Spielberg--and Tiger Beat magazine--praise the crap out of this kid. And I'm like, yeah--he's a decent actor, but he's never even had an acting challenge. He's always appearing in poorly-written blockbusters--not Shakespeare. If he ever gets a chance to actually act, then we'll see if he's worth all this praise and attention...!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
doesn't Spielberg have a bit of a pedigree to be able to offer a valid
opinion on his actors.

I like Lebeouf, more then anything i like his acting style, it seems like he has good timing and a good sense of humor that is part of his style.

why does he have to do a serious movie to justify his talent?

He must be doing something right, for poeple like Spielberg to want to keep using him.

HIs career is already longer and more successful then pia zadora as a movie star.
PIa Zadora,:laugh: really.

Also wait till you see Watchmen, the entire film is slo-mo.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The operative word is "really". While most movies require a suspension of disbelief some require it more than others. Some movies also require a more conscious suspension of disbelief than others. IMO, this movie happens to fall into the latter category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks