What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've always love the title of Each Dawn I Die, but equally found it to be a B+ level Warner crime drama.

James Cagney's performance is what makes it tick.

Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is a quality affair, derived from a nitrate fine grain master, which to my eye, seems to be fine but nothing special in terms of fine grains.

Get this one if you're a Cagney fan, want to see how William Keighley (Adventures of Robin Hood) handled this type of drama, or just want to support film preservation.

Mr. Keighley had worked with Mr. Cagney several times previous in various capacities (including director), and would direct him again in The Fighting 69th, Torrid Zone and The Bride Came C.O.D.

Image – 4

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This movie probably has one of George's Raft best performances as he was a class and perhaps two below his fellow Warner acting mates, Bogart and Cagney when it comes to acting ability especially when it came to expressing any type of emotion.

A very good film that I have on pre-order.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have this on DVD, but it's been a long time since I watched it -- over 14 years. Where does the time go?

Not sure I need to upgrade this one if it's been that long between viewings. Although, it would give me an excuse to watch the film again. ;)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Never seen this, but Cagney is usually worth a watch.

I think it's an okay movie but inconsistent - some good parts, some less than good.

I never really accepted the notion that the Cagney character would
go to prison as easily as he did. The crooks frame him so clumsily that it's tough to swallow he'd actually be convicted.

Anyway, it's a watchable little melodrama but not in a class with Cagney's better flicks...

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I wish you guys will use spoiler tags!

The entire movie is based around what I said and it happens in the first act!

It's in every synopsis - you can't read about the movie without knowing what I said, as it's THE BASIS FOR THE ENTIRE PLOT!

Great googly moogly - I get that people hate spoilers, but come on. Picking on my comments as "spoilers" seems extreme.

Is it a spoiler if I say there are dinosaurs in "Jurassic Park"??? They appear later in the story than the events I described for "Each Dawn"! :oops:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The entire movie is based around what I said and it happens in the first act!

It's in every synopsis - you can't read about the movie without knowing what I said, as it's THE BASIS FOR THE ENTIRE PLOT!

Great googly moogly - I get that people hate spoilers, but come on. Picking on my comments as "spoilers" seems extreme.

Is it a spoiler if I say there are dinosaurs in "Jurassic Park"??? They appear later in the story than the events I described for "Each Dawn"! :oops:
Then we disagree and it's my opinion that you revealed a spoiler because you did more than say Cagney was in prison. Anyhow, if you want to argue this further then do so via PM.

1618154155057.png

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Do we want (care about) spoiler tags for a 1939 film, it's hardly the latest DC/Marvel etc. On a positive note, it's more Cagney and Raft on blu ray.

I try to avoid real spoilers when I review a movie.

The issue becomes what equals a "real spoiler".

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
On the DVD the main title track had an insert from an alternate source for several seconds. Will be curious to see if an unblemished track has surfaced. Music was by Steiner and he reused the main title cue for KEY LARGO.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Caught up with this one yesterday. The critique of prisons and the criminal justice system was actually tougher than I though it would be for 1939. And to my surprise Cagney got me

emotionally with his breakdown, which came somewhere around the middle.

It's impressive how much publicity material Warner Bros. created for Each Dawn I Die.

pressbook-wb-each-dawn-i-die_0005.jpeg
pressbook-wb-each-dawn-i-die_0009.jpeg
each dawn.jpg
Each-Dawn-I-Die-US-HS-R1956-1939-scaled.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508