What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™Dragonwyck -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another gothic drama, from Fox via Twilight Time.

The first directorial work (1946) from master filmmaker Joseph Mankiewicz, this Gene Tierney, Vincent Price starrer, is a quality affair, that holds up very well.

Shot by Arthur Miller in gorgeous black & white, and with a magnificent score by Alfred Newman, (offered isolated on Twilight Time's new Blu), Dragonwyck is a film well worth your time.

If there is a downside, it seems to be with the surviving film element, be it a dupe neg or fine grain. Color timing is off, with Mr. Miller's meticulous imagery probably viewed with blown out highlights half the time. One gets used to the problem, but it affects the image in major ways.

The disc arrives with some quality extras.

Audio is fine.

Image - 3

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - yes

Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope people focus on the recommendation and not the numerical video grade.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I hope people focus on the recommendation and not the numerical video grade.

Please.

If the best extant protection element was poorly produced, we have what we have.

I’m pleased that Twight Time released, and that we’re able to upgrade to Blu. Where the information is there, the image looks lovely

Last edited by a moderator:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I watched this disc a few days ago and I thought it was possible that the elements Fox worked with were a bit less than ideal. I thought they did a good job and I'm glad I bought the disc which has some excellent "extras". Oh, and I just love the movie! Vincent Price fans should all make a point of seeing this film.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Please.

If the best extant protection element was poorly produced, we have what we have.

I’m pleased that Twight Time released, and that we’re able to upgrade to Blu. Where the information is there, the image looks lovely[/Q

I watched the movie last night and thought both picture and sound to be very good and a major improvement as against the DVD which I also thought to be good........

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this tonight and found it quite wonderful. The image has a velvety look to it. Blacks aren't the deepest I've ever seen, but the white levels in the snow scenes looked quite nice on my OLED, and I didn't consider them blown out like I was expecting.

If you like Gothic melodrama/suspense, this one is for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks