What's new

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I don't know Warner numbers, but I'd imagine we can draw parallels with Twilight Time's experience.

B-movie genre releases like Fright Night (two releases, 8000 copies), The Blob (1988) and Christine are near instant sellouts, while classic films like The Roots of Heaven (1958), All the King's Men (1949), Stormy Weather (1943), and To Sir, With Love (1967), still have not sold out 3000 copies several years after they were released.
And there's somehow enough demand for two blu-ray editions of Death Ship.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I Walked With A Zombie, The 7th Victim (two sadly underrated Val Lewton masterpieces), .

Underrated ?
I don't think that classic genre fans have ever underrated these films
(of course, I'll rate I Walked With a Zombie over The 7th Victim, but I'm sure that will start a firestorm so let me acknowledge that as only my opinion).

But I'm with you on wanting more !

If Shout/Scream continues releasing the level of quality as they did with Val Lewton's Curse of the Cat People Blu-ray, then let's praise Warner for letting them handle it and give them more.

Last edited:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
TCM-HD aired a very nice print of "Horror of Dracula" late Wed (Oct 10) night. Framed at the full 1.78 of the TV screen, it looked as good as I have ever seen it air on broadcast.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
It is great to see the interest in the two new Hammer arrivals but a bit of a shame the USA release is devoid of extras, it could have perhaps included PRINCE OF TERROR showing the filming of it at the time but hey ho. The new German release has a 40 minute documentary included UPDATING DRACULA which I'm looking forward to seeing being a fan of the last two Dracula films.

Satanic Rites is very much anticipated over this side of the pond so happy viewing everyone. Its going to be a memorable Halloween!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Yes, it is frustrating that every horror/slasher release seems to get the most attention ( measued by posts) and super-duper sales figures.....but the lowest common denominator has always been the key to mass success. I'm just used to it now. No amount of bitching and moaning will change that.

You'll never convince me that "Night of the Demon" is a better film than "The Sea Hawk" but it has 116 replies to its post and "The Sea Hawk" would probably get 20. Milennials are why we can't have nice things.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Millennials aren't watching NIGHT OF THE DEMON, DRACULA A.D. 1972, or THE SEA HAWK. They're binge-watching Netflix series, or gaming. Horror/sci-fi/fantasy films lend themselves to cults and exert a strong fascination with boomers and Gen X-ers like myself who grew up with them on plain-wrap, three-network TV BC (Before Cable) and are thrilled to have their favorites in pristine editions. I'm an Errol Flynn fan, too, but their appeal is different, and skews older, to a generation content to watch them on TCM.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Millennials aren't watching NIGHT OF THE DEMON, DRACULA A.D. 1972, or THE SEA HAWK. They're binge-watching Netflix series, or gaming. Horror/sci-fi/fantasy films lend themselves to cults and exert a strong fascination with boomers and Gen X-ers like myself who grew up with them on plain-wrap, three-network TV BC (Before Cable) and are thrilled to have their favorites in pristine editions. I'm an Errol Flynn fan, too, but their appeal is different, and skews older, to a generation content to watch them on TCM.
Regardless, milennials suck. And I've raised 3 of them. They suck.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Dracula A.D.1972 coming Tuesday Oct.16. Satanic Rites NOW coming Nov. 13 ! WHY ? has it been pushed back 4 weeks !??? They both were due on Oct.16. What's the problem with that Bluray ?? Anybody ?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I imagine the Archive is wrestling with whatever elements it has. I've seen one half-decent transfer of SATANTIC RITES; the rest are poor. Or maybe it's found something that's actually worth the wait.

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Its certainly prolonging the agony for those of us who have waited a lifetime for a decent release of this sadly neglected title.
I'm still clinging to my off air 1970's VHS tape and my Laserdisc from Roan Group, may have to spin that today.

Satanic Rites is precious to me holding memories sitting up late with my father watching it as the old Ferguson top loader VHS recorder captured the screening on TV for us so many decades ago. I expect many of us have memories like these and all very special to us.

WHEN.jpg

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Very true and most Millennials don't like slasher films they are into Ghost stories which is why 8 out of 10 horror movies now are ghost stories. The slasher films are being bought in large by people who grew up in the 80's and 90's that rented them as kids and thus have memories that all of them were great.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I learned about Hammer Films on Saturday afternoons,on antenna television in New Jersey.(No cable then, and No cable Now !) Saturday nights on Creature Features and Chiller Theater ! The first ones I remember seeing are The Phantom of the Opera and The Evil of Frankenstein. : ) I have loved Hammer ever since !

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Placed my order for the new German release of Drac A.D.1972 with the extras, I'll report back what its like once viewed.

As far as Satanic Rites is concerned my diary has a budding list of possible release dates but fingers crossed it makes the 13th Nov 2018 this time. Bit of a shame its missing the Halloween slot..

35mm Satanic.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks