What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dr. Zhivago -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
More speaking of apples and oranges.

Zhivago was never grainy, and was extremely sharp, as the negative was generally fully exposed. A comparison to Kwai is a bit unbalanced, as the earlier film was shot on Eastman 5248, via scope adapters, which soften the image, and then printed dye transfer, which via the process and increased contrast, gave it the appearance of sharpness, that was all perceived.

The original run of Kwai prints was produced with the incorrect aspect ratio, as it had been composed full frame, for 2.55, and released 2.35, with the left side of frame unceremoniously lopped off.

The 4k version of Kwai looks quite sharp and grainy and it certainly has a special look - I am very curious how the upcoming 4k UHD disc will compare.

2 of the best blow ups I have seen were The Great Race and Days of Heaven.

Thanks for letting me know, hopefully I will be able to check them out at some point even though The Great Race will be heavily faded.

I was very impressed with the level of detail in some single reels that I saw of The Wild Bunch and Papillon but I did not yet get to watch them as a complete print.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My goal during my time as a projectionist was that the audience shouldn't be aware of the operation at all. Lights, curtains, and film should look like it was automatic.

Exactly. You are among the heroes of the theatrical experience, whereas others who hadn't the showman in them led to people having to rise from their seats and complain about focus and framing and sound. So, Peter, bravo to you!

avroman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren Thomson
"The Great Race " was the opening attraction with my home built 70mm projectors in my theatre in 1968. ( What a night that first screening was! ) I practically had all my finger nails chewed off! Although it all went well.
It still recalls great memories, and Boy! didn't "The Great Race "look beautiful.
I went on to screen every movie released in 70 on those Projectors until 1985, when I could afford to buy brand new equipment with a 70/35 Platter.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
The 4k version of Kwai looks quite sharp and grainy and it certainly ha - I am very curioues how the upcoming 4k UHD disc will compare.

Thanks for leting me know, hopefully I will be able to check them out at some point even though Teh great Race will be heavily faded.

I was very impressed with the level of detail in some single reels that I saw of The Wild Bunch and Papillon but I did not yet get to watch them as a complete print.

The copy of The Great Race came from The Swedish Film Archive and it still had full colour and that was 2011, it was also shown on the
Cinerama screen and as I said it still looked excellent.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Great Race in 35 dye transfer looks very much like a reduction print. Much of the quality is the result of a fully exposed negative.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The copy of The Great Race came from The Swedish Film Archive and it still had full colour and that was 2011, it was also shown on the
Cinerama screen and as I said it still looked excellent.

The Swedish film institute seems to have the best looking vintage prints with regard to color - I was lucky to see their prints of Cheyenne Autumn and Ryan's Daughter and there was very little fading to them, too. That was some years ago and such a print can turn to pinkish red very fast but back then it gave me an idea how fantastic all these prints must have looked on release date in well run theaters.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Saw Doctor Zhivago Christmas week of 1965 at the Loew's Capitol. Was disappointed the film did not completely cover the huge curved screen as Cheyenne Autumn did. That said I also recall the print was extremely sharp and all subsequent viewings never matched that original showing.

Cheyenne Autumn must have looked distorted on the sides as it's 70mm 2.2 image filled a 2.76 Cinerama screen.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Cheyenne Autumn must have looked distorted on the sides as it's 70mm 2.2 image filled a 2.76 Cinerama screen.

I really don't recall the distortion but I've also questioned the complete use of the Cinerama screen for 70 mm Cheyenne Autumn. Perhaps by sitting in the balcony helped matters. I do recall that the sound was outstanding but that I hated the use of rear projections in the pivotal Edward G. Robinson scenes.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Thanks for posting this! I lived in Knoxville from July 1975 - January 1978. I saw many movies here... including ROCKY ... also GONE WITH THE WIND (in 70mm), FUNNY LADY, THE HINDENBURG and a number of 1.85 films (TAXI DRIVER, THE SUNSHINE BOYS, MURDER BY DEATH).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
RAH

Does the transfer for this film still hold up today? Bought the Digibook and am looking forward to watching it for the first time ( I know:oops:).

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I still haven't bought this movie.
I wonder, has anyone heard anything about a UHD coming?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I was recently considering watching David Lean's Doctor Zhivago from 1965 yet again. But since over the years I've watched that movie at least twenty times (about half of those since I got the blu-ray in 2010), I decided instead to watch the 2002 British miniseries production of Doctor Zhivago, which features Kiera Knightly, Hans Matheson, Sam Niell, Alexandra Maria Lara, and many more. The screenplay for this miniseries is by Andrew Davies, who is famous for writing many great adaptations of novels for television, including To Serve Them All My Days (1980), Pride and Prejudice (1995), Daniel Deronda (2002), War and Peace (2016), Sanditon (2019), and more than a dozen notable titles beyond those.

Since this Doctor Zhivago miniseries is almost 4 hours long it includes some scenes from the novel that aren't in the 1965 movie. David Lean's movie is still the definitive version of this story for me, but this 2002 miniseries is surprisingly strong and moving, and a worthy companion from my pov. It's directed by Giacomo Campiotti. The miniseries is only available as far as I know by subscribing to "Britbox" for c. $7 a month on amazon, although the first week is free. Below is a short trailer.

Anyway, getting back to the David Lean version. I'm still satisfied with the 2010 blu-ray. But if there are additional ways for Warner at this point to upgrade this movie I would buy it again. For instance, since the negative is in such poor shape, are there separation masters that might be used?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks