What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned... -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Scratch

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Many Thanks for your review Mr. Harris.
Happily added to my short list.
Some of my favorite scenes from this film are the glorious shots of the B-52. With appropriate background music.
Tony S

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
While one of my all-time favorites, I was not immediately convinced that owning this one on Blu Ray would be worth my while, since Strangelove is largely a dialogue-driven film. But I love those B-52 shots, and did take notice to their presentation in the SD version. To see those babies presented "tip to tip" will be worth it to me, not to mention the overall treat of the restoration. Besides, my SD copy can now officially become "the loaner" without concern.

Thanks for the great review.

John

Rob LoVerde

Agent
Real Name
Rob LoVerde

If I may take the question one step further, do you think that, say, "2001: A Space Odyssey" or "A Clockwork Orange" would have benefited from the treatment given Dr. Strangelove or do they not need that due to being more recent motion pictures? I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

2001, yes, but I don't know if the results would necessarily show up in low-rez. ACO, doubtful.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The previous 2-disc SD transfer was far too dark, as the DVD Beaver comparison reveals. The BD may be a little too bright when viewed on my PC monitor when compared to my plasma TV which often seem to be the case. The cropping/framing on the BD is better. The original mono soundtrack really ought to have been uncompressed, though. Otherwise, this is marvelous work from Sony.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

RAH - forgive me for asking, because I don't mean to sound doubtful, but does "2001" really need restoration work? I ask because it's my favorite film of all time, period, and I'd hate to see anything bad happen to it. That said, I saw it in 70mm as recently as 2003 and in 35mm as recently as last year, both were fairly new prints and looked about as close to pristine as you can get. The current DVD and Blu-ray releases look pretty good to my eye as well. Is the negative really in trouble?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

2001 is in no danger. Damage to the OCN that occurred over the past 40 years can now be upgraded, dirt can be digitally removed. But there is plenty of redundancy of elements. The film isn't going anywhere.

RAH

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Phew... that's what I thought but thanks for confirming. I have to say, when I saw it for the first time in 70mm during it's 2001-2002 run (I had previously only seen it in 35mm), I was completely blown away. I mean, I expected to be, but it exceeded even that expectation. The print was surprisingly dirt and scratch free. The only clue that it wasn't a brand new film was the Pan Am logos visible throughout.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If I remember correctly, the score during that B-52 'copulation' scene (in Strangelove) is "Try a Little Tenderness".
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Cees

BrianSiano

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Siano

I'd heard complaints about the Blu-Ray of ACO; apparently there are some color differences from previous, Kubrick-approved transfers. Rob's given it a good notice on this forum, however.

Still, I have high hopes that they'll do a Harris-level job on _Barry Lyndon_, whevere they decide to put that one out on Blu.

MatS

Screenwriter
BRAVO Sony.....

I just watched this and I know this phrase is used too often with BD ...."this is the best the film has ever looked" ... but it is true

Gone from the 2001 Kubrick Collection dvd (and likely subsequent dvds) are the annoying and frequent dirt/debris flaws that plague that presentation

a must own for fans of the movie and fans of great cinema alike

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I am disappointed that the cut 'pie fight' was not included on this disc.
Before anybody steps in and says it's lost, I saw the footage in 35mm at the BFI last year.
I don't know if Sony are aware of this.
Did the Kubrick Estate say they didn't want it to be seen?

MatS

Screenwriter
yep, I too am still disappointed that footage has not seen its way to home video

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Robert, could you comment about how Kubrick achieved the look of Dr. Strangelove. So many shots are gritty and not robustly detailed. The airbase battle scenes that look like newsreel footage would be an example of what I'm on about. Most of the film looks as if it was shot so as to mute detail atleast some to me. Have you any thoughts for this teenage fallout queen....?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

The booklet insert refers to it as "lost footage" so presumably Sony doesn't know it exists. Kubrick himself cut the scene, saying that "it was too farcical and not consistent with the satirical tone of the rest of the film."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks