What's new

ThadK

Second Unit
Also, how come they stuck an ancient analog transfer of the classic cartoon HYDE AND HARE in as an extra, even though a fully restored, HD master has existed for 18 years and is even on HBO Max? Is it because they’re geniuses?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some posts have been removed as things got a little heated in this thread and has thrown this thread off-tracked. Furthermore, some of those deleted posts crossed the line in regard to proper forum decorum. Personal attacks are not allowed on HTF. Any further such posts will result in forum disciplinary action. This is a final warning!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My three version viewings of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" starts tomorrow morning. First up is the John Barrymore 1920 version then the 1931 Fredric March film. I'll finish up with Spencer Tracy's 1941 version. I have seen all three film versions previously and I have enjoyed each of them for different reasons. However, I've never watched all three versions in the same day so I'm looking forward to that movie experience. Furthermore, it will be my first Blu-ray viewing of each film. My last viewings of each movie was on TCM.

1666807225177.png
1666807248035.png
1666807287386.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My three version viewings of "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" starts tomorrow morning. First up is the John Barrymore 1920 version then the 1931 Fredric March film. I'll finish up with Spencer Tracy's 1941 version. I have seen all three film versions previously and I have enjoyed each of them for different reasons. However, I've never watched all three versions in the same day so I'm looking forward to that movie experience. Furthermore, it will be my first Blu-ray viewing of each film. My last viewings of each movie was on TCM.

View attachment 159897 View attachment 159898 View attachment 159899
So just how are you somehow sneaking into my den, looking at what I have lined up for the Horror Challenge, and then beating me to the punch *every time*!! :laugh: It really feels like you've been a movie or two ahead of me all month!! :D

My copy of the 1931 film *should* be at my house when I get home... Now that I know your plans, I may have to move up my watching of this *identical* trilogy, just because... ;) Oh... my version is also scheduled to include Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde from Hammer... time depending...

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I was impressed as a teenager by Frederic March in Inherit the Wind, which was shown in one of my high school English classes. Now, more than forty years later, I've been impressed by the other side of March's long career with this movie. Very good make up, special effects, and performances. The picture quality is strong for a movie from 1931.

annex20-20march20fredric20dr_20jekyll20and20mr_20hyde_nrfpt_03.jpeg
videomoviespeechinheritthewind.jpeg

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman
So just how are you somehow sneaking into my den, looking at what I have lined up for the Horror Challenge, and then beating me to the punch *every time*!! :laugh: It really feels like you've been a movie or two ahead of me all month!! :D

My copy of the 1931 film *should* be at my house when I get home... Now that I know your plans, I may have to move up my watching of this *identical* trilogy, just because... ;) Oh... my version is also scheduled to include Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde from Hammer... time depending...
Watching it now. Stunning! It's one of the most beautiful transfers of anything I've seen from the early 30's. And so rare to see a Paramount film from this era to look so stunning. Mamoulian was such a visually eloquent, stylish and ahead of his time visualist. I mean the use of first person camera - genius. The transformation scene is practically an equal to Murnau.

Last edited:

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Bookend "J&H" with March's final performance in "The Iceman Cometh." One of his best pieces of work. Also Robert Ryan's last film.
I just got the Blu-ray of The Iceman Cometh from the most recent Kino Lorber sale, which I only saw the once as a subscriber to The American Film Theatre series in the 70s. All the performances were excellent, most assuredly including Fredric March. Perhaps due to the limited distribution, March wasn’t Oscar nominated for supporting actor, nor Robert Ryan, nor Lee Marvin whose powerful performance was a revelation.
As to Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, it shows to be scheduled for this coming Saturday 10/29 on TCM (noon Eastern, 11 am Central where I am). Is this going to be the new scan offered here in the latest Blu-ray or an earlier leftover print I wonder? I’ve set the DVR to record it in any case. (I’ve only seen the ‘41 version and that was decades ago.)

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

View attachment 159897 View attachment 159898 View attachment 159899
Before I go to bed, I just want to say that I've already watched the Kino Blu-ray of the 1920 version and I just finished the WAC Blu-ray of the 1931 version. I must say the WAC Blu-ray is a revelation as watching this movie again with an almost pristine video presentation is like viewing this movie for the first time. Just beautiful! Furthermore, some time in the near future, I will listen to both audio commentaries on this Blu-ray disc. Anyhow, I'll watch the WAC Blu-ray of the 1941 movie later today after I wake up. TBH, I love all three versions of this movie as each of these great actors were wonderful in the dual roles in each film version.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I watched my copy last night. Wow! That's all I have to say about the overall quality - audio and video.

All you need do to see for sure that WA has the intended AR on the product is watch that opening POV tracking shot. It has a soft edge circle wipe that's uniform with the same amount of blend on each side of the frame going to full black *just* at the frame edge on all four sides. And you see that effect on several more POV shots done exactly the same way. That was an intentional choice - not by accident.

Santee7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kirk
First time I "watched" March version of Jekyll/Hyde was in the Richard Anoble book, wherein he used still frames from the film to make a "comicbook" ,if you will, of the film. Back in the seventies I never thought I'd actually ever 'see the film" and the book was a cherished possesion to me.
And I of course have the flipper disc from many eons ago.
I always liked this version. Never loved it. Last night, feeling illish, I put on the new Archive version of Jekyll/Hyde...boy was I cured! Watched it twice. Hyde leaps off the screen. What a work of art for the fantasy/horror genre.
As others have said, it was like I never saw it before. Magnificent disc for a beautiful film. Thanks George and Co. This truly was worth the wait.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
First time I "watched" March version of Jekyll/Hyde was in the Richard Anoble book, wherein he used still frames from the film to make a "comicbook" ,if you will, of the film. Back in the seventies I never thought I'd actually ever 'see the film" and the book was a cherished possesion to me.

Wow, memory rush! I LOVED those Richard Anobile books when I was a kid. The original hardcovers (from the 70s?) were a constant library staple for me and, once they started re-printing the oversized paperback versions of some of them (perhaps the early 80s?) I was able to snag a few at our local "Walden" books. I recall it wasn't too long after I "discovered" them at the library that some became more accessible in paperback. Those books were the closest any of us could come (in those pre VHS days) to owning a copy of each given film. I remember the J&H book was from a cut print and he had to describe the missing sections in the forward. I never found a paperback of that one, though, but they did release one.

30832811433_3.jpg

I found a few interior samples from the Frankenstein one:

sample.jpg

cut.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks