What's new

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Does anybody know if the digital release shown on iTunes is the remastered version?
No, I have it from February 2022. It's the old DVD version in sd. :huh: Full of speckles and white vertical lines. This New Remastered Restored version will blow it away. :D Br.com has the New review with over 30 photos !

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Apparently hyperbole is not a modern concept. ;)

1665407889320.png

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
No, I have it from February 2022. It's the old DVD version in sd. :huh: Full of speckles and white vertical lines. This New Remastered Restored version will blow it away. :D Br.com has the New review with over 30 photos !
thanx for the heads up......another great review, with photos!!

kpjwest

Auditioning
Real Name
Kim
It is my recollection that in addition to the shortened 1938 and original 1931 versions, that there was also a European version eliminating the prologue and consisting of different takes, and that the European version was more widely available and not considered to be "lost". Is this correct or is it an example poorly sourced "history"?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If I recall, isn't Jekyll pronounced Jeekyll in this version? And why do you suppose that is?
Possibly for the same reasons that for the last 30+ years most people pronounce "John Constantine" as "Constan-TEEN" when it should be pronunced "Constan-TYNE" (according to the man who created the character).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I can assure you I've seen improper framing of films including a version of LoA on GET-TV that in the tent scene all you saw was the tip Obi Wan's nose & the tip of Dumbledore's nose and tent in between the two (that's all I watched). I'm sure that's not how Mr. Lean intended for it to be shown.

This reminds me of a time back in the day when I was in an on-line discussion of 2010, and happened to mention a scene in the movie where Roy Scheider and James McEachin are on a sidewalk bench with the White House in the background, discussing the issues at hand. Off to screen left, there's a man on another bench feeding the pigeons. That was Arthur C. Clarke. (And yes, he was also the US President, with Stanley Kubrick as the Soviet Premier, on a Time cover later in the film.)

Someone in the discussion said he went back to watch that scene and saw neither hide nor hair of Clarke. I went back to look at my copy to get the time notation for when he appears, and...lightbulb!...realized the problem. I confirmed with the other person that he was watching a pan-&-scan VHS of the film, while I was looking at the widescreen laserdisc.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The censored material hadn't been seen for many years but I believe as much of it as was possible was already added back in for the DVD release from 16mm.
What brought it up to the stunning quality reviews are teasing did the use the OCN for the dvd? I think the dvd was pretty good but not stunning this release sounds like a revelation

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynPaulFan1961
Recent bookmarks