What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dirty Dancing -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Currently, a Best Buy exclusive, Dirty Dancing, that little Vestron title that proved it could be the little engine that could, has arrived in 4k, and it proves once again, that the film stands the test of time as it heads toward its 34th birthday.

A very nice image harvest, for which the 4k difference can be seen if one is closer than normal seating distance, may be an essential purchase if one either loves the film or is a Dolby Atmos fan.

Personally, with its music heavy track, I purchased for Atmos alone.

Color, grain structure (which is a bit sharper than the Blu) overall densities and use of HDR, all work for the release, which you'll see noted below in a new rating - play nicely with projectors.

A sweet film, with superb performances, that still works its magic.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Plays nicely with Projectors - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Currently, a Best Buy exclusive, Dirty Dancing, that little Vestron title that proved it could be the little engine that could, has arrived in 4k, and it proves once again, that the film stands the test of time as it heads toward its 34th birthday.

A very nice image harvest, for which the 4k difference can be seen if one is closer than normal seating distance, may be an essential purchase if one either loves the film or is a Dolby Atmos fan.

Personally, with its music heavy track, I purchased for Atmos alone.

Color, grain structure (which is a bit sharper than the Blu) overall densities and use of HDR, all work for the release, which you'll see noted below in a new rating - play nicely with projectors.

A sweet film, with superb performances, that still works its magic.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Plays nicely with Projectors - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH
Is the original Vestron logo on this one? The Blu's omit it entirely.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I would love to see Jennifer Grey portray Roxie Hart in Broadway’s longest running revival of “Chicago”. It seems to be almost preordained. After all, her Dirty Dancing fictionalization father - Jerry Orbach - originated the role of Billy Flynn on Broadway. Add to that, and for good measure, her real-life dad (Joel Grey) portrayed Mr. Cellophane in the revival, as well.

Of course there’s just one catch.

Can she sing?

Hopefully, yes.:)

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I would love to see Jennifer Grey portray Roxie Hart in Broadway’s longest running revival of “Chicago”. It seems to be almost preordained. After all, her Dirty Dancing fictionalization father - Jerry Orbach - originated the role of Billy Flynn on Broadway. Add to that, and for good measure, her real-life dad (Joel Grey) portrayed Mr. Cellophane in the revival, as well.
Isn't she a tad old for the part? She's 60 and Verdon was about 50 and a far more accomplished stage dancer.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Isn't she a tad old for the part? She's 60 and Verdon was about 50 and a far more accomplished stage dancer.
Joel Grey was 65 when he portrayed Amos Hart; which actually calls in the book for a 30-50 year-old. Poetic licenses on stage can sometimes be allowed. Heck, come to think of it, Norma Shearer portrayed Juliet at the age of 34...and that was a film.

Sometimes it’s about the talent and spirit over the literal age.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Joel Grey was 65 when he portrayed Amos Hart; which actually calls in the book for a 30-50 year-old. Poetic licenses on stage can sometimes be allowed. Heck, come to think of it, Norma Shearer portrayed Juliet at the age of 34...and that was a film.

Sometimes it’s about the talent and spirit over the literal age.
Dancing on a film is quite different from dancing on a stage; age hampers agility when there are no edits.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dancing on a film is quite different from dancing on a stage; age hampers agility when there are no edits.
I am well aware. But no worries, as I am not doing the casting.:)

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
But her nose is only 32 ;)!

1622624088360.png

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Upon release, this 4K/UHD Best Buy exclusive was quickly gone and no longer available within a very short period (except on eBay for $60 and up).

One year later…

Heads up, for those who missed it. Today, I dropped into Best Buy and happened upon a rack that had a few of the Dirty Dancing steelbooks.

Maybe this is due to the release of Jennifer Grey’s autobiography coming out this week.

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I would like to ask someone that has purchased the 35th anniversary 4K disc.

Do you have any problems playing this disc?
I play all my UHDs on my pc either with VLC or MPC.
In this disc, at 7.25'' and on for 20 seconds, the image freezes/stutters. :(
I returned the disc to amazon, and got a new one, and the same thing happens again!!

00081.mpls_snapshot_00.07.29.216.jpg

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd give cleaning the disc a try, but it's strange that it happened on both copies (I assume) at the same timestamp.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I'd give cleaning the disc a try, but it's strange that it happened on both copies (I assume) at the same timestamp.
I cleaned it, nothing.
Yes, very strange.
I initialized a return again and a refund.
I'll get the UK steelbook and hope for the best.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
So, I just got my UK steelbook!
Unfortunately the same problem at the same spot! I don't know what to think!:eek:
Ok, I'm ripping the disc with makemkv to see if it will present the same problem ripped.
But still, even if it's good, take it as an eccentricity of mine, I'd like to watch films from my discs. Not from the rips on my hard drive!

edit: well, it doesn't even rip correctly. In that spot , it jumps to another part of the film.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks