What's new

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Thanks for posting that, I'd forgotten how much I love that picture. It was originally a Coca-Cola ad! John Barrymore is the only star who refused to be a part of it, for some reason. It's beautiful!

View attachment 117258
Will, do you think this may have been taken on a day that Barrymore and Beery weren't required to be on set?

BTW, I own this pic and love it. As a kid in the early 70s I started collecting Coca-Cola memorabilia and have since sold much of it, but have kept some pieces like this along with the 1934 Johnny Weissmuller-Maureen O'Sullivan and 1935 Madge Evans Coca-Cola trays. If it was related to films I kept it. Obviously, MGM had at least a two year association with Coca-Cola to cross merchandise.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Will, do you think this may have been taken on a day that Barrymore and Beery weren't required to be on set?

BTW, I own this pic and love it. As a kid in the early 70s I started collecting Coca-Cola memorabilia and have since sold much of it, but have kept some pieces like this along with the 1934 Johnny Weissmuller-Maureen O'Sullivan and 1935 Madge Evans Coca-Cola trays. If it was related to films I kept it. Obviously, MGM had at least a two year association with Coca-Cola to cross merchandise.
I'd LIKE to think they both preferred a "different" kind of refreshing pause but I really have no idea :lol:

If you have a copy of the actual picture, maybe you can answer a question that's long puzzled me. To me, it looks like an actual color still (as opposed to something tinted after the fact) but, if so, I'd love to know what the process was. It's too early for Kodachrome but the picture has similar light values. Does the actual picture look like it was shot in color to you?

octobercountry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fred
I'd LIKE to think they both preferred a "different" kind of refreshing pause but I really have no idea :lol:

If you have a copy of the actual picture, maybe you can answer a question that's long puzzled me. To me, it looks like an actual color still (as opposed to something tinted after the fact) but, if so, I'd love to know what the process was. It's too early for Kodachrome but the picture has similar light values. Does the actual picture look like it was shot in color to you?
There's something about that advert which makes me think it could be a genuine colour photograph as well... Could it be something like Autochrome?

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt

Will, LOL! I'm sure it was a different type of refreshing pause for Barrymore especially.

I've attached a pic of my ad and I believe it's a tinted b & w photo. Don't know the process. While digging I found another Coca-Cola ad for The Merry Widow (1934). Sorry the pic isn't that great. It's framed in glass and our dining room chandelier is reflected in it covering Mr. Lubitsch, however, I thought the imagery was somewhat appropriate to the subject.

Attachments

• 20211027_210654_resized_1.jpg
    20211027_210654_resized_1.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20211027_211258_resized.jpg
    20211027_211258_resized.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 54
Will, LOL! I'm sure it was a different type of refreshing pause for Barrymore especially.

I've attached a pic of my ad and I believe it's a tinted b & w photo. Don't know the process. While digging I found another Coca-Cola ad for The Merry Widow (1934). Sorry the pic isn't that great. It's framed in glass and our dining room chandelier is reflected in it covering Mr. Lubitsch, however, I thought the imagery was somewhat appropriate to the subject.

The Smithsonian has catalogued the 1934 Dinner at Eight/Coca-Cola advertisement:

Dinner at Eight, Coca Cola advertisment | National Museum of American History (si.edu)

DESCRIPTION
A Nicholas Muray 3-color carbro photograph ca. 1934. Cast of "Dinner at Eight" in a Coca Cola advertisment. The screen stars in the photograph are as follows: Lionel Barrymore, Billie Burke, George Cukor, Marie Dressler, Madge Evans, Phillips Holmes, Grant Mitchell, Karen Marley, May Robinson, Louis Classer Hale, Jean Harlow and Edmund Loewe.
Mount Recto: Signed and dated by the artisit (pencil).Mount Verso: "Dinner at Eight" (pencil). "98" (pencil). Muray stamp.

----

For more about the 3-color carbro process: Carbro | The Printed Picture - A survey of the process (readandnote.com)

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
I just checked my DVD of the movie. It definitely needed an update. But when I tried to buy the BD on-line, all of my regular suppliers had sold out. Must be popular!

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mine will arrive Tuesday from MovieZyng along with the other October titles released. MovieZyng has copies available.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
Thanks for the tips re availability. I prefer to use WOWHD because they offer free postage to Australia. I'm awaiting their re-stocking. Most US sites charge up to $10 postage!

Last edited:

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
Well, I finally finally got my copy and what a glorious print. Mr Harris gave it 4 for video quality but it surely has to be 5. Sadly, as is becoming common, the extras are very poor picture quality compared to the same extras on the DVD. I wonder why they don't re-scan them in HD.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I assume you mean Margaret Dumont.

I don't believe Marie Dressler and Groucho ever worked together (although a photo exists of her and Harpo - not known for his wit - or "whit")
Yes, both are interchangable in my mind, LOL!!! Both are formitable Women!!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I assume you mean Margaret Dumont.

I don't believe Marie Dressler and Groucho ever worked together (although a photo exists of her and Harpo - not known for his wit - or "whit")

Yes, both are interchangable in my mind, LOL!!! Both are formitable Women!!
1639508679555.png

The photo in question ... taken at Xanadu er W.R. Hearst's San Simeon "Castle" ..."La Cuesta Encantada".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks