What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Deep in My Heart -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Ask 100 cinephiles to name their top 50 M-G-M musicals of all time, and the great Stanley Donen's 1954 Deep in My Heart, will probably not appear.

A purported bio-pic of Sigmund Romberg (1887 - 1951), whose most popular operettas were the basis of several films.  The Desert Song, produced three times -- 1929, 1943, and 1953, and The Student Prince (1953).

The New Moon was first produced on film in 1930.  The more popular 1940 version, with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, was recently issued by Warner Archive as a part of it's two package set of the entire MacDonald / Eddy portfolio.

While numerous M-G-M stars take part in this slightly odd film, to me at least, the best number is the only on-screen record of the Kelly Brothers, Fred, and his slightly better-known brother, Gene.  The number is short, but works.

My interest in the film, has little to do with the film, although hearing Jose Ferrer sing, in is role of Mr. Romberg, is an interesting phenomenon.

Released at the very end of 1954, Deep in My Heart marked an end to the use of one of the great staples of the M-G-M musical concept.

Three-strip Technicolor.

Photographed in early Eastman Color, the film has all of the attributes, positive, as well as negative, of the new process.

The film was printed as a single strand, meaning that printer functions were cut in, and dupes abound, but Warner Archive's new release makes the best of it all.

Imagery derived from original negative, or recent IP sources is sharp, and properly colorful, with wonderful shadow detail, nice resolution and stability.

Dupes look like dupes of the era, but cut-ins have been nicely smoothed to better integrate with the body of the film.

The only noticeable fade will be in dupes, such as the opening sequence, featuring Mr. Ferrer conducting an orchestra, with all players in their slightly faded blue tuxedoes, that were originally black.  But that's minor, as the body of the film shines.

One of the other very positive attributes of the new Blu-ray is the track, which I've never heard before in stereo.  A nice treat.

And for those Helen Traubel fans out there, Deep in My Heart will be one of the most important Blu-ray releases of 2015.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Harris said:
And for those Helen Traubel fans out there, Deep in My Heart will be one of the most important Blu-ray releases of 2015.

For Cyd Charisse fans too.

I enjoy this film enormously, not least for the highlights RAH has listed. It is one of the few films in which I find Merle Oberon sympathetic. Too often she has seemed ice cold to me. It is also one of the few films in which James Mitchell dances - he didn't in The Band Wagon - and people who know him from Colorado Territory might be surprised to learn he could dance.

This disc is an essential purchase for me.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Jose Ferrer also appeared in a Broadway musical: The Girl Who Came to Supper with Florence Henderson as "The Girl." This was the musical version of "The Sleeping Prince" filmed as The Prince and the Showgirl with Marilyn Monroe and Laurence Olivier.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw Jose Ferrer live playing the lead role in Man of La Mancha in his native Puerto Rico. He played it in an English-language production.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Robert Harris said:
Ask 100 cinephiles to name their top 50 M-G-M musicals of all time, and the great Stanley Donen's 1954 Deep in My Heart, will probably not appear.

A purported bio-pic of Sigmund Romberg (1887 - 1951), whose most popular operettas were the basis of several films. The Desert Song, produced three times -- 1929, 1943, and 1953, and The Student Prince (1953).

The New Moon was first produced on film in 1930. The more popular 1940 version, with Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy, was recently issued by Warner Archive as a part of it's two package set of the entire MacDonald / Eddy portfolio.

While numerous M-G-M stars take part in this slightly odd film, to me at least, the best number is the only on-screen record of the Kelly Brothers, Fred, and his slightly better-known brother, Gene. The number is short, but works.

My interest in the film, has little to do with the film, although hearing Jose Ferrer sing, in is role of Mr. Romberg, is an interesting phenomenon.

Released at the very end of 1954, Deep in My Heart marked an end to the use of one of the great staples of the M-G-M musical concept.

Three-strip Technicolor.

Photographed in early Eastman Color, the film has all of the attributes, positive, as well as negative, of the new process.

The film was printed as a single strand, meaning that printer functions were cut in, and dupes abound, but Warner Archive's new release makes the best of it all.

Imagery derived from original negative, or recent IP sources is sharp, and properly colorful, with wonderful shadow detail, nice resolution and stability.

Dupes look like dupes of the era, but cut-ins have been nicely smoothed to better integrate with the body of the film.

The only noticeable fade will be in dupes, such as the opening sequence, featuring Mr. Ferrer conducting an orchestra, with all players in their slightly faded blue tuxedoes, that were originally black. But that's minor, as the body of the film shines.

One of the other very positive attributes of the new Blu-ray is the track, which I've never heard before in stereo. A nice treat.

And for those Helen Traubel fans out there, Deep in My Heart will be one of the most important Blu-ray releases of 2015.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH
Agree- Helen Traubel is amazing in the film.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I have the dvd which is pretty good, especially the sound. I think also this was one of those films which was cropped for widescreen though I think unlike many films in the 1953 time frame it was planned that way.

It is an odd movie though. There is that very strange number wherein Ferrer plays all the roles in an operetta. I do think the Mitchell/Charisse number is one of the sexiest ever put on film. I would imagine Mitchell's best known dancing performance was in the film of OKLAHOMA! in the ballet sequence where he plays "Dream Curly."

I saw Ferrer onstage in a touring company of MAN OF LA MANCHA back in the late sixties and he was quite good. At the time of DEEP IN MY HEART he was seen as someone who could do just about anything. I have read some accounts which say that the Jack Buchanan character in BAND WAGON was at least partially based on Ferrer, though not sure that is true.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Who can identify which musical number reuses costumes from an earlier film?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robert Harris said:
Impressive!

I mentioned that in another thread on the movie a few weeks ago. One of the reasons "It!" is one of my favorite numbers in the show.

And, yes, the Jack Buchanan character in The Band Wagon was based on Jose Ferrer. Comden and Green were poking a little fun at a fellow Broadway performer.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
I can't think of many fans of MGM musicals who would EXCLUDE this title from a list of 50 favorites, a list which would likely include "Words and Music" (bio of Rodgers and Hart) and "Till the Clouds Roll By" (bio of Jerome Kern), both films having some terrific set pieces/musical performances in them..

This film was a project very dear to producer Roger Edens' heart. Edens, for those who don't know, was the genius behind the Freed Unit, and the man who cultivated Judy Garland's vocal style. He wrote music, lyrics, arranged music, etc. He is said to be the man who gave Arthur Freed "class".

"Deep in My Heart" attempts to pay homage/tribute to Sigmund Romberg and, in many ways, succeeds.

Highlights include the glorious dance to "One Alone" with James Mitchell and Cyd Charisse, the haunting "When I Grow Too Old To Dream", "Auf Widersehn" sung by Helen Traubel and a lovely, haunting performance by Merle Oberon. For me, it's on a par with "Ziegfeld Follies"...some of it works wonderfully, and some it doesn't work as well (for me). What does work dazzles me. What doesn't apparently pleases many others based on comments above.

The treament of the music is inspired. Much of the orchestration and arranging was done by composer/orchestrator Hugo Friedhofer.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I had this on laser disc and especially remember the rich warm stereo sound. I believe I remember reading somewhere that this was one of the first musicals to use 35mm mag film for recording the music rather than optical, but I may be wrong. I thought the laser had a great mag-like sound to it. Another laser I remember standing out for it's sound was "The Man From Laramie", also in stereo.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
The fact that it is in stereo is interesting and provokes me to ask the following if anyone knows.

Options

1. Was this film originally released in stereo (e.g., 4-track magnetic)? I didn't think so.

2. Was it recorded/mixed in stereo and but never released that way? There are examples in the MGM library.

3. Or, were the stereo tracks more recent additions, having been mixed from multi-track stems?

Thanks to RAH for the interesting review, I will pick it up.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Richard M S said:
Are there any extras?

The extras:

1. The musical short "The Strauss Fantasy" (Johnny Green and the MGM Symphony Orchestra play Strauss waltzes and polkas)

2. The Tex Avery cartoon "The Farm of Tomorrow"

3. Two outtake numbers - "Dance My Darling" and "Girlies of the Cabaret"

4. An audio-only outtake "One Kiss/Lover Come Back to Me"

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Richard Gallagher said:
The extras:

1. The musical short "The Strauss Fantasy" (Johnny Green and the MGM Symphony Orchestra play Strauss waltzes and polkas)

2. The Tex Avery cartoon "The Farm of Tomorrow"

3. Two outtake numbers - "Dance My Darling" and "Girlies of the Cabaret"

4. An audio-only outtake "One Kiss/Lover Come Back to Me"
All of those are on the DVD, along with a trailer. The stereo audio on the audio-only outtake is excellent, by the way. The Dolby Digital 5.0 audio on the feature enhances the music nicely, but it's not especially dimensional. A lossless audio track would be nice; is there one?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Among the great performers and performances in "Deep In My Heart", Helen Traubel is one of a kind. She may not have been versatile enough to have a major Hollywood career, but she is perfectly cast here, and she is such an assured performer that she is not one bit out of place with all that other first-class talent.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I just had time to sit down and watch DEEP IN MY HEART. I have not watch this title for a few years and have always enjoyed it. But to behold the look of the Blu-Ray is completely something else. It is just beautiful and the sound is magnificent. Great job WAC. Keep up the great work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks