What's new

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
Or the producer of the film thinking he might once have made a huge blunder not casting a role on screen with the individual who created it on stage.

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
While the studio that bore his family name repeated that same blunder even more monumentally two years later without him.

mame.program.jpg

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
I watched the Blu-Ray this past weekend. I knew I'd like it right from the beginning with that deep blue night sky over the baseball stadium, which I believe was filmed at Wrigley Field in South Central Los Angeles. (Torn down in 1969.)

The source is unimpeachable. Allan Glasser, to whom Tab was married.

What's the status of "Tab & Tony"? :)

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
There's a good youtube video on movie dubbing called 'Hollywood's Secrets Exposed! The Real Voices of Dubbed Stars.' Interesting that Russell sang live on set in Gypsy for Mr. Goldstone.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
I asked a few people I know if they'd ever noticed this and they hadn't: In the scene right after Verdon and Fosse do their "Who's Got the Pain" number they run off backstage past Joe Hardy and others applauding them and Joe slaps him on the shoulder and says "Great job, Fosse." It's done in a way that's not that apparent, so might not be noticed. I'm not saying it's a mistake, either, I don't think it is. I hadn't even noticed it before over the years until recently.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
'That was terrific Bobby.'
When Gwen rushes offstage right behind Fosse she gives Tab a kiss on the cheek.

According to Tab's autobio an unhappy experience due to Abbot being a jerk. I thought he was more professional than that.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
After rechecking on you tube in one cut he says Fosse and the other he says Bobby. It seems different takes were used for the different editions. I don't have the bluray.

Mark B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
My VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, and Blu-ray all say "Fosse."
This reminds me of the Trolley Song argument that someone calls out "Hi'ya Judy" when it is clearly "Hi'ya Johnny" just before he boards the trolley.

roxy1927

Supporting Actor
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well if it says Fosse that's the take they used. But there is a Bobby take. It's on youtube. On the trolley song if anybody hears Hi ya Judy they need their ears cleaned out.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

MartinP.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Martin
The subtitles say: "That was terrific Fosse."

I'll go with the subtitles.

(I don't think the youtube video [above] sounds like "Bobby", either. A double S and double B sound nothing alike in my opinion.)

Roxy1927, what is the link for the youtube video you say says "Bobby?"

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'll go with the subtitles.
Not that the answer matters to anyone other than the person listening to it, but subtitles are subjective and rely on the vagaries of the person doing the transcribing. They aren't an official anything.

If you don't hear "Bobby" in the youtube clip (or on the blu-ray) then this MAY very well be "what color is this dress" because it's as plain as day to my ear.

Now, I DID go back and watch the blu-ray clip with the subtitles "on" and, with the subtitles "suggesting" that he's saying "Fosse" it was easier to make that leap (though I'm not sure why he would be calling him Fosse when his friends, Gwen included, always referred to him as "Bobby" but that's another story.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred1976