What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Crossfire – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Warner Archive is releasing Crossfire, a 1947 RKO production, directed by Edward Dmytryk, in their normal boring quality, which means virtually perfect.

Lush black and white, with a patina of film grain give the impression that one is viewing a nitrate 35mm print.

The only digital oddity that I noted was in the second scene - and what a scene it is - with wonderful reveals and use of camera - where Robert Young's heavily herringboned suit can't quite handle the digital clean-up in some nearly hidden folds.

Will anyone notice this?

Absolutely not.

For lovers of noir, who may not have seen Crossfire, it's a must, especially in this newly restored Blu-ray varient.

I neglected to make note of an interesting cast. Robert Ryan, Gloria Grahame and Robert Mitchum. So for completists, this is a goldmine of actors.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't get it! How come such a fine movie with such a great BD release only gets one reply to this thread? What a shame. Watching this Blu-ray was like watching this movie for the very first time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don't get it! How come such a fine movie with such a great BD release only gets one reply to this thread? What a shame. Watching this Blu-ray was like watching this movie for the very first time.
In all fairness, there is also a review thread with a few more replies (including one from me).

I still need to pick this one up.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I haven’t received it yet. Looking forward to revisiting this one.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
How indelible is “Crossfire”? Very much so. As far as I can remember, I’ve seen this great film only once; and that was 43 years ago on a goodly sized screen; yet still had never forgotten it. Somehow, be it circumstances, timing or even availability, a desired second viewing never occurred.

Sounds like WAC will be aiding me very well in my rectifying this matter and making up for all of this lost time in-between. And, even better, I also get to own it, too.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

Finally had a chance to watch the WAC Blu on this. Magnificent, a great film gets a great release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks