What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Color of Night -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Back in 1994, I went to a screening of Richard Rush's Color Night and came away wondering what I'd just seen. It tries very hard to be color noir, and the plot gets very close to being as convoluted as The Big Sleep, without half as much fun... "She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up..."

As a Blu-ray double bill from Mill Creek, I was also concerned that I'd be viewing a pixelated mess, but this isn't the case.

Both Color of Night, as well as Andy Wilson's Playing God, which shares the disc, both look really nice. There are no problems. And as a Blu-ray double feature for under $10, that saying a lot.

Worth your time just to be able to gaze for awhile at Jane March -- when will we finally have a Blu-ray of The Lover (1992)?

What I'm finding, and this is in a very general sense, is that the Mill Creek Blu-rays, seem to be a safe buy. I'd not go purchasing before reading reviews, however. Just saying.

A fun film. Not in any way a great one.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

RAH

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I purchased this dual film release for the inclusion of Playing God which I've always enjoyed. The laconic style of the lead character is perfectly suited for David Duchovny. (Plus I love the Porsches in this film, a car brand that seems synonymous with Duchovny after Californication.) :)
A guilty pleasure double feature, IMHO. I haven't had a chance to screen these titles as of yet, so it is nice to hear that the transfers are not a distraction.
- Walter.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I just watched Billy Bathgate which is another Mill Creek Blu ray double feature disc with Blaze and I agree with Mr. Harris, that these discs seem to be safe buy. Haven't seen Blaze yet, but if the quality is as good as Billy Bathgate, then I'll be very pleased.

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Playing God was originally a 5.1 theatrical mix but only 2.0 in this release though.

Real Name
Mark
Pros:
- Positive assessment of PQ/AQ from RAH,
- Jane March in 1080p,
- Comes with bonus movie starring Agent Mulder,
- Gives us (me, at least) a reason to finally try out "Night Mode" on the receiver (this being late night fare),
- Now available on Amazon for 5 clams ($4.99)... still in stock, as of this writing. Link below:
http://www.amazon.com/Color-Playing-Double-Feature-Blu-ray/dp/B008XAT1LS
Couldn't come up with any "cons", so here goes another impulse buy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks