What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Close Encounters of the Third Kind -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
...you did not answer my question. Furthermore you used some random guy at some other forum as your expert. That almost warrants a Jim Downey in itself.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah honestly what the hell were you guys expecting? It's a Zsigmond-shot movie from the 70's. It looks like every other Zsigmond-shot movie of the era. That means grain. GRAIIIIIIIIIIN!

I think the grain of "CE3K" is overstated. Sure, it has a lot of grain, but it's not like the whole thing is dominated by grain. Plenty of scenes show minimal grain, and the movie really looks great!

Dortmunder

Grip
Real Name
joe frady
In the Zsigmond chapter of the 'Masters of Light' book í seem to recall him saying that he found shooting this film tricky as Spielberg wanted him to shoot it ultra-sharp and clean, almost "industrial photography" í think the quote was.Not a style which VS was accustomed to...

So all his considerable skills went into doing just that ~ lens/stock choice, lighting levels, processing, etc. SS wanted minimal grain (for the time) and maximum resolution, to make it seem as if this could really be happening. Which of course it did ;)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This UHD release looks nice, with one caveat: I can't get pure reds. I found this on the BLADE RUNNER disc as well. The intended red on the buttons in the air traffic control room in CEO3K are orange. What used to be much redder neon lights in the BR night streets are orange. No manner of color saturation, tint, and other settings seems to help with this on my 65" LG OLED. Am I the only one who just can't seem to get those deep reds? If so, what is wrong here? The set was professionally calibrated, and I don't want to undo all that work...

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This UHD release looks nice, with one caveat: I can't get pure reds. I found this on the BLADE RUNNER disc as well. The intended red on the buttons in the air traffic control room in CEO3K are orange. What used to be much redder neon lights in the BR night streets are orange. No manner of color saturation, tint, and other settings seems to help with this on my 65" LG OLED. Am I the only one who just can't seem to get those deep reds? If so, what is wrong here? The set was professionally calibrated, and I don't want to undo all that work...
You had an ISF calibrator work on your display and you still don't like the reds?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You had an ISF calibrator work on your display and you still don't like the reds?

Don't know what ISF is, but I had a person who in my state (Maine) is the go-to pro for setting up home theaters and calibrating players and displays. It's not as though I don't enjoy the reds of CEO3K and BL, as much as it is that they don't seem to exist there, at least for me on this set. Orange just isn't the way many supposed-to-be-red elements of these movies appeared on DVD, or even on laser disc. Could be I've still not tried a setting that I overlooked, but I've spend hours trying to attain these colors.

Otherwise, both movies look pretty awesome.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't know what ISF is, but I had a person who in my state (Maine) is the go-to pro for setting up home theaters and calibrating players and displays. It's not as though I don't enjoy the reds of CEO3K and BL, as much as it is that they don't seem to exist there, at least for me on this set. Orange just isn't the way many supposed-to-be-red elements of these movies appeared on DVD, or even on laser disc. Could be I've still not tried a setting that I overlooked, but I've spend hours trying to attain these colors.

Otherwise, both movies look pretty awesome.
ISF is the certification and training that most of us want our calibrators to have in order to work on our equipment. I would complain to your calibrator if this red issue bothers you so much.

https://itstillworks.com/isf-calibration-6647292.html

https://imagingscience.com/about-us/

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So I'm finally checking out the UHD. For shits and giggles, I'm checking out the Special Edition version. Please tell me I'm hallucinating at seeing player generated subtitles In the opening scene.

Alberto_D

BANNED
The heaviest grain situation I ever saw/remamber in a 35 films are :

The Exorcist . The scene of the bridge panorama .
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest : One very fast scene during the party scene, there is one scene with the camera pointing to Danny DeVito character while he walks, with giant colored grains.
Probably result of very high ASA film stocks in particular scenes

I just imagine how these scenes would look in a 4K transfer.
Probbly cases impossible to remove grain.

Alberto_D

BANNED
I'm really sorry to bring this topic again. But I'm very curious about one thing.

The grainy sand storm sequence, Mr Harris refers as quite difficult to Blu Ray to deal perfectly. Is that specific scene encoded in maximum bitrate, or near it, allowed for Blu Ray and 4K Blu Ray encoder ?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just ordered this disc, finally after 5 years. I plan to watch it tonight and I’ll check out the horizontal lines in the titles and the blowing sand!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks