What's new

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I will probably get the Nolan Batman films UHD today with some gift cards. Every other film from Christopher Nolan is a waste of time for me.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
And I want to say he is a masterful movie maker, I just don't enjoy his films outside of the Batman trilogy. I don't loathe his work like another skilled film maker Darren Aronofsky.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I wish that these films had seamless branching for the IMAX sequences. Now that I have a 2.35:1 projection screen, I don't need to (nor can I) expand vertically. Having a director-preferred 2.40:1 framing option during these sequences via seamless branching is desired. I can't see it being troublesome to add, either.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I feel your pain Michael, but for the small % of people in your situation (in comparison to the average household) I'm not sure the studios are going to go to those lengths. But for what it's worth I support your cause!

My "wishlist" item is true subtitles in addition to SDH. I support SDH for those with the need. But for those of us who are just watching at low volumes at night (which I'm sure a lot of us do), we'd appreciate just the dialogue in the subs vs. door opening, or sound comes from offscreen. :rolling-smiley:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wish that these films had seamless branching for the IMAX sequences. Now that I have a 2.35:1 projection screen, I don't need to (nor can I) expand vertically. Having a director-preferred 2.40:1 framing option during these sequences via seamless branching is desired. I can't see it being troublesome to add, either.

I believe the DVD and digital streaming versions contain the 2.20:1 non-shifting aspect ratio of the film. (I didn't check my Dunkirk digital copy yet but that's how all other Nolan films were handled for streaming and DVD versions; the Blu-rays got the shifting aspect ratio and everything else got a constant ratio.)

My "wishlist" item is true subtitles in addition to SDH. I support SDH for those with the need. But for those of us who are just watching at low volumes at night (which I'm sure a lot of us do), we'd appreciate just the dialogue in the subs vs. door opening, or sound comes from offscreen.

I would also like for discs to include both "English" and "English SDH" options for exactly the reason you state.

dobyblue

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Just because I didn't see it answered affirmatively, only Batman Begins has a new master/transfer on the Blu-ray Disc, the other two Dark Knight films the Blu-ray is the same transfer found on the original releases.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Just because I didn't see it answered affirmatively, only Batman Begins has a new master/transfer on the Blu-ray Disc, the other two Dark Knight films the Blu-ray is the same transfer found on the original releases.

The Dark Knight definitely looks different and less edgy in the 35mm scenes, couldn't comment on the third one so far.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think The Dark Knight is clearly sourced from a different master than the blu-ray. I'm watching on a 1080p plasma and the image is significantly better.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Dobyblue - good to see you around! I think the NIN forum is done now? I haven't found it in the google search and I lost all of my old bookmarks.

Did you make it to TAVES this year?

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Watched The Dark Knight UHD tonight. Its better than Batman Begins with the normal stuff, the IMAX is just ridiculous. I saw one review that noted where the non IMAX stuff could show some softness at times, and I saw the same. Still, it looked great. The armored car chase was just that much better with HDR on the OLED. Fire, police lights, etc... and perfect black.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Finally picked up the Batman titles in the 3 for $49.99 Amazon sale. The UHD of Batman Begins is the weakest of the 3. When Bale is about to "graduate" from his training for the League of Shadows the color of his face is not right. His face has a tanned/yellow hue but his neck still has a reddish skin tone and it looks terrible. Liam Nesson is also in the shot and his skin tones don't look messed up. Not sure what's going on there?

In regards to the 1080p discs Batman Begins is the only one with a "new" movie disc. While it did get a new higher bit-rate AVC encode I think it's still the same scan/transfer used on the previous hd-dvd & blu-ray which both had the same low bit-rate VC1 encode. WB also changed the audio from Dolby TrueHD to DTS-HD MA. As for the special features the In-Movie Experience PiP was removed and I didn't see Confidential Files: Discover facts and story points not in the film and the stills gallery on the "new" special features disc. If you want all the extras hang on to the old blu-ray and use that as your special features disc.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Interesting list of Christopher Nolan's 30 favorite films from a article at website Far Out Magazine UK. A few films are on my list too.

• 2001: A Space Odyssey – Stanley Kubrick, 1968
  • 12 Angry Men – Sidney Lumet, 1957.
  • Alien – Ridley Scott, 1979.
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – Lewis Milestone, 1930.
  • Bad Timing – Nicolas Roeg, 1980.
  • The Battle of Algiers – Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966.
  • Blade Runner – Ridley Scott, 1982.
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind – Steven Spielberg, 1978.
  • First Man – Damien Chazelle, 2018.
  • For All Mankind – Al Reinert, 1989.
  • Foreign Correspondent – Alfred Hitchcock, 1940.
  • Greed – Erich von Stroheim, 1924.
  • The Hit – Stephen Frears, 1984.
  • Koyaanisqatsi – Godfrey Reggio, 1983.
  • Lawrence of Arabia – David Lean, 1962.
  • Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence – Nagisa Oshima, 1983.
  • Metropolis – Fritz Lang, 1927.
  • Mr. Arkadin – Orson Welles, 1985.
  • The Right Stuff – Philip Kaufman, 1983.
  • Saving Private Ryan – Steven Spielberg, 1998.
  • The Spy Who Loved Me – Lewis Gilbert, 1977.
  • Ryan’s Daughter – David Lean, 1970.
  • Star Wars – George Lucas, 1977.
  • Street of Crocodiles – Brothers Quay, 1986.
  • Sunrise – F. W. Murnau, 1927.
  • Superman: The Movie – Richard Donner, 1978.
  • The Testament of Dr. Mabuse – Fritz Lang, 1933.
  • The Thin Red Line – Terrence Malick, 1998.
  • Topkapi – Jules Dassin, 1964.
  • The Tree of Life – Terrence Malick, 2011.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
  • JAWS
;)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I’ve never understood why The Spy Who Loves me is held in such high regard relative to all the other Bond films but I’ve accepted that I’m the only one who is baffled by this :D
I think because it's the best Bond film from Roger Moore and it has one of the most beautiful Bond girls Barbara Bach. I like the film and would put it on my top 10 best Bond films.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Interesting list of Christopher Nolan's 30 favorite films from a article at website Far Out Magazine UK. A few films are on my list too.

• 2001: A Space Odyssey – Stanley Kubrick, 1968
  • 12 Angry Men – Sidney Lumet, 1957.
  • Alien – Ridley Scott, 1979.
  • All Quiet on the Western Front – Lewis Milestone, 1930.
  • Bad Timing – Nicolas Roeg, 1980.
  • The Battle of Algiers – Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966.
  • Blade Runner – Ridley Scott, 1982.
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind – Steven Spielberg, 1978.
  • First Man – Damien Chazelle, 2018.
  • For All Mankind – Al Reinert, 1989.
  • Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence – Nagisa Oshima, 1983.
  • Metropolis – Fritz Lang, 1927.
  • Mr. Arkadin – Orson Welles, 1985.
  • The Right Stuff – Philip Kaufman, 1983.
  • Saving Private Ryan – Steven Spielberg, 1998.
  • The Spy Who Loved Me – Lewis Gilbert, 1977.
  • Ryan’s Daughter – David Lean, 1970.
  • Star Wars – George Lucas, 1977.
  • Street of Crocodiles – Brothers Quay, 1986.
  • Sunrise – F. W. Murnau, 1927.
  • Superman: The Movie – Richard Donner, 1978.
  • The Testament of Dr. Mabuse – Fritz Lang, 1933.
  • The Thin Red Line – Terrence Malick, 1998.
  • Topkapi – Jules Dassin, 1964.
  • The Tree of Life – Terrence Malick, 2011.
FWIBW, The Street of Crocodiles is the only one I haven't seen. Doesn't mean a thing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I’ve never understood why The Spy Who Loves me is held in such high regard relative to all the other Bond films but I’ve accepted that I’m the only one who is baffled by this :D

I view it in high regard compared to MOORE's Bond films, as it might be the best of those 7.

Compared to the non-Moore Bonds, though, it's more middle of the pack...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks