What's new

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Another title I had to turn off the HDR , I just find this a total pain, many films look fine on my Sony LCD TV
with HDR, But "Days of Heaven", "Chinatown" and others look like the color is muted, and look better on
my system without HDR
According to members of another site, the Sony XBR-85X900F can only accept low-latency Dolby Vision through HDMI:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
According to members of another site, the Sony XBR-85X900F can only accept low-latency Dolby Vision through HDMI:

What a confusing, complicated headache re: DV support! And that particular case involves Sony's own displays to boot! Makes me sorta glad my setup simply won't (try to) support it at all, LOL!

Unfortunately, there seems to be some odd, exceptional cases where the 4K/HDR encode may be relying way too much on DV encoding/support to the significant detriment of non-DV playback, if I understand correctly (as discussed elsewhere)... :angry::huh:

_Man_

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Another title I had to turn off the HDR , I just find this a total pain, many films look fine on my Sony LCD TV
with HDR, But "Days of Heaven", "Chinatown" and others look like the color is muted, and look better on
my system without HDR

Which UHD player(s) do you use?
The Sony XBR-85X900F needs a player that supports Player-Led Dolby Vision and that option usually has to be set in the menu or you will run into issues.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Which UHD player(s) do you use?
The Sony XBR-85X900F needs a player that supports Player-Led Dolby Vision and that option usually has to be set in the menu or you will run into issues.
Panasonic , tried different settings already

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think much of the problem lies in the fact that there's no standard for what an HDR image should look like. Some are too dark, some are too bright, some too colourful, some too muted. It's all over the place.
This 100%!
HDR is absolutely not for everyone. Watching a film in a completely darkened room is one thing (something not a lot of people do....even with projectors). But the variance of HDR in certain films is at times too great for many people. HDR is typically much darker than a standard BD. Some people don't like that. Understandable.

And again if you aren't watching a film with HDR in a completely dark room, you are doing it wrong!
Something the studios producing all this stuff never told you. Unfortunately.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

This may be a video game but I experienced the same thing on my 65" SONY Z9D (it looked a bit better on my PC monitor). I ended up tuning the HDR off for that because I didn't feel like playing the game in a completely blackened room

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This 100%!
HDR is absolutely not for everyone. Watching a film in a completely darkened room is one thing (something not a lot of people do....even with projectors). But the variance of HDR in certain films is at times too great for many people. HDR is typically much darker than a standard BD. Some people don't like that. Understandable.

And again if you aren't watching a film with HDR in a completely dark room, you are doing it wrong!
Frankly, I think the 4K/UHD format is not for many film purists.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I think the 4K/UHD format is not for many film purists.
Absolutely. I think it is amazing on many films, but when you get into films made 40+ years ago HDR becomes more and more of a tightrope routine. Is it necessary on all films? Absolutely not.
My 4k copy of McCabe, and Mrs. Miller for example....I was just so happy that HDR wasn't applied to that film. I couldn't even imagine how bad it would look if it was.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic , tried different settings already

I just checked and it looks like there is no manual setting for Player-Led / LLDV on the Panasonic players so the next best thing may be to keep HDR switched on but Dolby Vision off.

Gotta love HDR...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Gotta love HDR...
K-E-Y
1719072896310.png
M-O-U-S-E :D!

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I just checked and it looks like there is no manual setting for Player-Led / LLDV on the Panasonic players so the next best thing may be to keep HDR switched on but Dolby Vision off.

Gotta love HDR...
Fw update 1.76 makes several of the Panny players player-led DV with no option for display-led. That was changed with an update that dropped this week, which makes display-led DV an option if the display is bright enough.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
This 100%!

Yeah, all of the mastering takes place in a darker room. Some of it can also depend on a specific display's tone mapping. Some titles can trip it up (especially lower nits flat panels) causing unnatural specular highlight clipping or odd darkness issues, etc.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Fw update 1.76 makes several of the Panny players player-led DV with no option for display-led. That was changed with an update that dropped this week, which makes display-led DV an option if the display is bright enough.
But this is still automatically determined by the player, no? There's nothing in the settings on my UB9000 (that I could find) that allows the user to manually select either option.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, all of the mastering takes place in a darker room. Some of it can also depend on a specific display's tone mapping. Some titles can trip it up (especially lower nits flat panels) causing unnatural specular highlight clipping or odd darkness issues, etc.
There are probably handshake issues a lot of times as well causing more grief for some. I find that anything above 1,000 nits in HDR starts causing variance issues from setup to setup. Heck, just between my two 4K rigs I find alarming differences in HDR. There is no "normal" in HDR. It's the wild west.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
But this is still automatically determined by the player, no? There's nothing in the settings on my UB9000 (that I could find) that allows the user to manually select either option.

From that AVS thread posted earlier, sounds like the setting might only be(come) available IF the player detects that specific capability (and maybe the associated issue) from the display. There's also mention that you might need to do an off/on cycle w/ the DV setting before it might show up.

_Man_

Koro

Auditioning
Real Name
Iain
You know, that video posted about the Assassin's Creed: Valhalla comparison, is all nice and cute, but about as useful as showing someone the benefits of 4K resolution on a 720p monitor.
The reason being, the video is only mastered in SDR, so you're looking at the HDR-version in a SDR-container, so no wonder it looks pretty terrible and dim compared to the SDR-version.
If people find HDR too dark/dim most of the time, I seriously doubt their display's HDR capabilities.

Not trying to be mean to Bryan^H who posted the video here, but the OG uploader should know better.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Cue the hand-wringing over grain reduction in 5...4...3...2...
Actually, I was gonna ask "WHO has been making discs 'with the more recent desire to reproduce every grain'?"
I know of no label that has been accused of having too much grain in their releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rombrk
Recent bookmarks