What's new

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
And of course, for over a year almost all 4K releases do not include digital copies. I purchase all my 4k blu-rays when I’m in the USA.

That probably depended entirely on what you were actually buying.

Almost all 4K discs (and regular BDs) released (more or less directly) by the various major/larger studios have continued to include digital copies here in the USA. It's usually the titles released thru 3rd party "boutique" companies like Kino, Criterion, Arrow, Shout!, et al that don't include digital copies (and they never did).

Of the major studios, offhand, I can only think of Sony specifically under their Sony Classics label/division being the only ones w/ a (very long-running) practice of releasing (mainly) BDs w/out digital copies as usual... though they haven't released any 4K discs AFAIK other than that one big 4K boxset (of a wide mix of international and/or indy-ish films) a couple years back (that yes, also didn't include digital copies).

There might be (very) few other exceptions, but definitely not many at all.

_Man_

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex

Almost all 4K discs (and regular BDs) released (more or less directly) by the various major/larger studios have continued to include digital copies here in the USA. It's usually the titles released thru 3rd party "boutique" companies like Kino, Criterion, Arrow, Shout!, et al that don't include digital copies (and they never did).
alstein is in Canada. They've basically stopped including digital copies with 90% of releases up here it seems.

The only ones that I've seen digital copies on lately are Paramount releases.

alstein

Agent
Real Name
Aron

Of the major studios, offhand, I can only think of Sony specifically under their Sony Classics label/division being the only ones w/ a (very long-running) practice of releasing (mainly) BDs w/out digital copies as usual... though they haven't released any 4K discs AFAIK other than that one big 4K boxset (of a wide mix of international and/or indy-ish films) a couple years back (that yes, also didn't include digital copies).

There might be (very) few other exceptions, but definitely not many at all.

_Man_
Sorry, I was referring to 4k Blu Ray released and Sold in Canada. I’m hard pressed to find any that include a digital copy. Here are a few examples; Oppenheimer, the departed, Dune pt 2, The Fugitive, Rope, Frenzy, East of Eden, Barbie, and on and on.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
alstein is in Canada. They've basically stopped including digital copies with 90% of releases up here it seems.

The only ones that I've seen digital copies on lately are Paramount releases.

Yes, I realized he's in/from Canada, but he also said he bought discs while in USA though, so presumably, he was buying discs released here.

IF he's complaining that the included DCs don't work for him in Canada, that's a different issue... and not what he seemed to be saying.

OK, just now saw his follow-up post clarifying/correcting that right after I replied here, LOL...

_Man_

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
SKY TV in the UK has been running a UHD version of Chinatown for about 2 years now but it looks really weird - as if most of the colour has been drained out of it. Goodness knows when that master was produced. Anyway, I now have the UK 4K disc which I'm glad to say looks nothing like that; in fact picture quality is superb. The physical extras are a bit underwhelming though - I don't think my J. J. Gittes business card is going to fool anyone :)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
SKY TV in the UK has been running a UHD version of Chinatown for about 2 years now but it looks really weird - as if most of the colour has been drained out of it. Goodness knows when that master was produced. Anyway, I now have the UK 4K disc which I'm glad to say looks nothing like that; in fact picture quality is superb. The physical extras are a bit underwhelming though - I don't think my J. J. Gittes business card is going to fool anyone :)

I started watching Chinatown on Paramount+ a while back and it's that same off-color defective master. Switched to Amazon Prime to conclude the film and it looked normal. Very weird.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Roman Polanski's 1974 Chinatown, based upon the screenplay by Robert Towne is a film that belongs in Paramount's "Presents" series.

I've always considered it, even with it's bright California sunlit exteriors in all their heavily warm-timed glory, to be daylight noir.

Paramount's new 4k is a beautiful affair, rendering the film as it was originally seen in the first run of dye transfer prints, only struck for the original release, and just before the Technicolor lab went off the dye transfer standard, which occurred in December of 1974. From my memory, all additional prints struck were Eastman Color.

Beyond color, this release eschews the more recent desire to reproduce every grain, and more properly (in this archivist's opinion) reproduces the appearance of the original prints.

Colors, density, the subdued grain structure, and black levels all seem correct.

I was going to call this one of the great films of the '70s, but I'll make a step forward.

Chinatown is one of the great films. Period.

And belongs in every serious cinema library.

There will be some who mourn the fact that the track has been re-recorded as 5.1, but the original monaural is still there in 2.0. The 5.1 works beautifully.

Most important is the bifold slip, collectible by some standards, which ups the normal printing of the paper insert to include a metallic layer.

Great extras should seal the deal.

Forensic - 10
NSD - 10

Audio – 10 (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 9

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Worth your attention - 10

Slipcover rating - 4

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Paramount-Presents-Chinatown-Jakes-Blu-ray/dp/B0CYK618H9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3C43RPYVEIMLH&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.ny4grhjrAK6dl2MilpxadF1wP225E2c8VsH-vbrvB90tgLJuem5lzd3-CefVZx4WfVW4G-aNDdlc3ZWZJXmgJXN2xeEZUHl126T8TUKZVgsX6x6Me4d_eVtR4uvjZJsukvuhYJWKx7GJolBNg95LOuFr_U_ZtTednJ6nmM7oQjj7KGGhCzkc0LIXQ81VKGsjS6joOKlSplhab-CcaDJ-3g.Oemobr-FIgkkmzEmdF1QdDUFqNnX4k58Ww6AD1zhFU8&dib_tag=se&keywords=chinatown+4k&qid=1718121234&sprefix=chinatown+4k,aps,89&sr=8-1
I was waiting for your comments Mr. Harris.
I agree with every word.
It looks like silk. There’s a fantastic look to the movie I’ve never seen before. It’s alive in 4K.

Watch the textures on Jake’s leather bound binoculars.
As soon as the opening titles begin, waiting for that beautiful Jerry Goldsmith score to start

It is incredible when a great transfer is done on a movie from 50 years ago

It’s easy to take it for granted when watching it, but I think that’s because it doesn’t look 50 years old

It looks phenomenal.

And what they did with the sound
They are very discreet Sound elements coming from each speaker, in the 5.1 mix,

It’s beautiful, beautiful beautiful and yes, I agree also

John Huston. Jack. Just looking like the star he is.

Roman Polanski. Everything that man endured up until that point in his life, I give him Massive credit for being able to stand up and present a masterpiece after the horror.

I don’t think you can nail it down to one decade of greatness, as it’s one of the great films of all time.

Five fists in the air. ✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼

"Forget it Jake it's Chinatown."

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It's no coincidence [pun fully intended] that the rise of the New Golden Age coincides with the abolition of the Production Code and the institution of the MPAA Ratings system and board. It took until 1968 for the ratings to take shape, but in 1967, the MPAA began using the "Suggested for Mature Audiences" tag.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Another title I had to turn off the HDR , I just find this a total pain, many films look fine on my Sony LCD TV
with HDR, But "Days of Heaven", "Chinatown" and others look like the color is muted, and look better on
my system without HDR

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
+ Bonnie & Clyde. The Graduate.

“EASY. RIDERS RAGING BULLS:
HOW THE SEX "N' DRUGS
"N' ROCK "N' ROLL
GENERATION SAVED HOLLYWOOD”

- Peter Biskind

I read this book when when I was 21 or 22

It explained a hell of a lot to me that I’ve never forgotten

I remember Bonnie and Clyde being the big one

And the graduate

And easy rider.

But also Roger Cormans , Hells Angels

Rosemary’s Baby, my favorite Polanski film.

It was an era of change that began with many people contributing to the new age.

And the French cinema had a lot to do with what came after in America.

Goddard, François Truffaut, Fellini

So many factors contributing to a revolution

And this is not to mention the The effect television had on the demise of box office for film

Peter Fonda, Warren Beatty, the late great Robert Evans

But we’re getting off topic here

Polanski Chinatown 4K absolutely stunning

IMG_7683.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another title I had to turn off the HDR , I just find this a total pain, many films look fine on my Sony LCD TV
with HDR, But "Days of Heaven", "Chinatown" and others look like the color is muted, and look better on
my system without HDR
Have you tried re-setting your gear, ie turning it off and on? There are occasional problems akin to what you reference that for some reason will happen during a handshake.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I think much of the problem lies in the fact that there's no standard for what an HDR image should look like. Some are too dark, some are too bright, some too colourful, some too muted. It's all over the place.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
my system without HDR

I don't have this disc yet (nor DoH in 4K), but sounds like there's a tonemapping (or setup/calibration) issue w/ your display.

FWIW, think I've (maybe indirectly?) asked you about your display/settings before when you reiterated that the Arrow The Last Emperor 4K looked too dark.

What model Sony LCD do you have? IF it's really an LCD, not one of the high end variants (and doesn't have great tonemapping to help out), that could be (major) part of the issue. Probably quite normal to have to adjust/tweak the settings some bits in some cases for best results if the (auto) tonemapping isn't good enough -- that's just the reality w/ current state of HDR.

On my own Epson PJ, I sometimes need to adjust its "HDR" tonemapping slider a bit.

_Man_

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I think much of the problem lies in the fact that there's no standard for what an HDR image should look like. Some are too dark, some are too bright, some too colourful, some too muted. It's all over the place.
Wouldn't these be artistic decisions? There's no standard for that. SDR transfers can be colorful or muted and dark or bright as well. If someone is experiencing constant characteristics of one format or another it could be equipment or user error.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wouldn't these be artistic decisions? There's no standard for that. SDR transfers can be colorful or muted and dark or bright as well. If someone is experiencing constant characteristics of one format or another it could be equipment or user error.

There's definitely a general tonemapping problem (largely because no displays actually fully meet specs and vary a whole lot w/ some like OLEDs coming closest it seems) plus lack of standardization w/ the use of HDR. Those are definitely above and beyond any "artistic decisions".

He mentioned LCD. And depending on its exact implementation, LCD could be the worst currently used display tech both for hirez *and* HDR.

_Man_

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I watched this yesterday, and liked how the disc looks. I haven’t seen this film in years, and was impressed with it.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
I watched this yesterday, and liked how the disc looks. I haven’t seen this film in years, and was impressed with it.
Yes,
I totally agree with you JD
I was very impressed with how it looks, although I have different equipment then @Peter Neski does

Watching these films on OLED is very different than an LCD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rombrk
Recent bookmarks