What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Chain Lightning, with Humphrey Bogart in the lead is an odd piece of 1950 (or 1949) entertainment.

Directed by Stuart Heisler with Ernest Haller behind the camera, one would hope it to be better, but it's B quality Bogart.

Finished by the fall of 1949, it was held back for six months. Why is a question I'm unable to definitively answer, but one thing for certain. It ended a long and prosperous relationship between Mr. Bogart and Warners.

Warner Archive's new Blu-ray is lovely in all regards. Nary a problem win sight.

I just wish I could recommend the film. I'd put it in the category of "for aircraft fans, or Bogart completists only."

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

RAH

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This is one of those films I've only seen on television a long time ago. I have no vivid memories of it but I'll probably buy it . . . . . eventually. It's way down the list!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I watched the new stream on HBO Max and immediately could tell it was a major improvement over my previous viewing of this movie. I'll be purchasing it because I love aircraft, Bogart and Eleanor Parker movies.:)
OCN derived.

Reactions: PMF

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
OCN derived.
I'm curious. I have no reason to doubt you, but since there wasn't a press release, how were you able to determine this?

Are you in conversation with someone about this particular transfer? Or is the information actually out there, but just wasn't posted here.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm curious. I have no reason to doubt you, but since there wasn't a press release, how were you able to determine this?

Are you in conversation with someone about this particular transfer? Or is the information actually out there, but just wasn't posted here.
I had asked about this aeons ago, along with numerous other titles, which are just now coming toward release. There's a long lead time on these things - sometimes 24 months or more.

I did notice that recently, info has been dropped from press info, which I presume is just a Covid thing, ie people working from home without full support. As the world re-opens I'm sure that will return, for those who care.

I generally read those announcements more as marketing sizzle or bragging rights, ie. "New 4k scan of three-strip negatives," et al, as opposed to pure information.

There are no secrets regarding nitrate film elements, and what survives - much is available on line, an email query or phone call.

UCLA, BFI have sites. Most of WB material is either at LoC or GEM, with some coming from the BFI, which as I recall has some wonderful elements. A major source in the past for RKO materials has been the UK, as fine grains were shipped over there - in most cases before titles had been re-cut to shorter versions.

In this case, it's also obvious looking at the new Blu-ray.

As an aside, especially at WB, if one sees that something has come from an HD or 2k scan, it probably won't be the prime elements, which are always scanned at 4k for preservation. One of the very positive attributes that came out of Ned Price's work was that original elements could only be accessed if scanned at 4k.

That's proper, and I couldn't agree with his position more.

I always wonder what people are thinking when an entity creates a new Blu-ray, noting that it's from "New 2k scan of the original negative."

That's what IPs and fine grains are for, unless they're the finest extant element - and then...

Last edited:

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
I had asked about this aeons ago, along with numerous other titles, which are just now coming toward release. There's a long lead time on these things - sometimes 24 months or more.

I did notice that recently, info has been dropped from press info, which I presume is just a Covid thing, ie people working from home without full support. As the world re-opens I'm sure that will return, for those who care.

I generally read those announcements more as marketing sizzle or bragging rights, ie. "New 4k scan of three-strip negatives," et al, as opposed to pure information.

There are no secrets regarding nitrate film elements, and what survives - much is available on line, an email query or phone call.

UCLA, BFI have sites. Most of WB material is either at LoC or GEM, with some coming from the BFI, which as I recall has some wonderful elements. A major source in the past for RKO materials has been the UK, as fine grains were shipped over there - in most cases before titles had been re-cut to shorter versions.

In this case, it's also obvious looking at the new Blu-ray.

As an aside, especially at WB, if one sees that something has come from an HD or 2k scan, it probably won't be the prime elements, which are always scanned at 4k for preservation. One of the very positive attributes that came out of Ned Price's work was that original elements could only be accessed if scanned at 4k.

That's proper, and I couldn't agree with his position more.

I always wonder what people are thinking when an entity creates a new Blu-ray, noting that it's from "New 2k scan of the original negative."

That's what IPs and fine grains are for, unless they're the finest extant element - and then...
I'm familiar with all the acronyms except GEM. Please forgive my ignorance. Thanks. Was also wondering why WB hasn't released more of Mr. Bogarts (Mr. Cagney Too) A titles. Do you think there are original element problems with titles like High Sierra and Angels With Dirty Faces for instance.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm familiar with all the acronyms except GEM. Please forgive my ignorance. Thanks. Was also wondering why WB hasn't released more of Mr. Bogarts (Mr. Cagney Too) A titles. Do you think there are original element problems with titles like High Sierra and Angels With Dirty Faces for instance.
The more popular the film, the more problematic the elements. Every title must be restored, and the dollars are significant.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert

GEM = George Eastman Museum, in Rochester N.Y.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I certainly don't know what shape the film elements are in for either film, but there's a rumor going around the WAC FB group that, according to somebody with connections to somebody at TCM (so you can take this information with a grain of salt), High Sierra has been licensed to Criterion, who may be releasing it later this year. As to Angels With Dirty Faces? That film's problems have more to do with some sort of clearance issues preventing it from being released (supposedly something about rights to the story reverting to whoever owns them within the last decade, hence that film's complete lack of availability recently).

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
GEM = George Eastman Museum, in Rochester N.Y.
Well this is embarrassing. I've actually visited the George Eastman House Museum. Took the train from LA to Toronto Canada and had some time between connecting trains at Rochester N.Y. so spent a couple of hours at the museum. The very kind curator even gave me private concert on George Eastman's player pipe organ. Highly recommend a visit. Hope to revisit one day and catch a screening too.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Well this is embarrassing. I've actually visited the George Eastman House Museum. Took the train from LA to Toronto Canada and had some time between connecting trains at Rochester N.Y. so spent a couple of hours at the museum. The very kind curator even gave me private concert on George Eastman's player pipe organ. Highly recommend a visit. Hope to revisit one day and catch a screening too.

One of the few places in North America that can still screen nitrate film for the public - I visited several times for their annual Nitrate Film Festival with treasures from their vaults.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
I might be reading too much into it - or maybe not - but to me it seems there is a lot to come from Warner to the WAC line, then. :)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I got mine Today from Amazon ! A Beauty of a Transfer ! Excellent PQ ! :D Here's some photos.
DSC00436.JPG
DSC00437.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks