What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Casablanca -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What an incredible gift from WB!

Decades ago I acquired a very old 16mm print of Casablanca, printed on DuPont stock, which still had the luxury of high silver content. Details which became undiscernible in later printings almost glowed in that print.

Warner Home Video's newest edition of the film, now scanned, scrubbed, restored and converted to HD, makes that print seem like one was viewing this film classic through a screen door.

Details in facial highlights, make-up, costumes and lighting are fully visible, and while possibly not for the first time, as 35mm prints struck from the original negative six and a half decades ago, must have glistened, they appear for the first time in generations.

Casablanca in HD is a joy to behold. Brimming with special edition extras, this single disc will be one of the very special gifts of the 2006 Holiday season for the cinephile on many people's lists.

Brilliantly processed and brought to HD!

Casablanca comes with the Highest possible recommendation!

and RAH approved.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
I just got goosebumps. It seems that only Warner Brothers has the good sense to treat their catalog of historic films with the respect they deserve. I never thought that I would be more excited about the high definition release of these classic films rather than the various studios' more recent output. I guess it just illuminates how contemporary Hollywood pales in comparison. Thank you Mr. Harris for the good word.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Is this the version processed by Lowry or did they redo the show? I saw some of the Lowry version on 2K DLP 2 years ago and it looked 'processed' (e.g. artifacts).

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have been waiting for Mr. Harris’s take on this. I wasn’t sure I was going to purchase this right away because of the fine SD special edition, but I may have to modify my plans.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've been planning on upgrading my SD DVD version merely because "Casablanca" will be the first classic Academy ratio B&W film ever released on HD-DVD. With a ringing endorsement like this that decision is even easier. Thanks for your impressions Robert!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Already have it on order. This is one of my top 50 Fav. films

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news. I pre-ordered this as soon as it showed up on Amazon. This will be the third time I have purchased this title!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In answer to Mr. Hafner's question, the image has gone through processing, but what has emerged as a product is clean, and without negatives.

The film elements on Casablanca have not been treated kindly over the decades. Dupes abound, with a sometimes heavy and unnatural grain structure.

The HD makes the film appear as it might have at the time of its release.

RAH

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Goosebumps indeed! :) Highdefdigest did their review too and like RAH....were very, very impressed. Cannot freakin' wait to get this baby in my little hands next week! :)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
WoW
How exciting to come to the HTF's HD software forum tonight & see this at the top!
Thanks, Mr, Harris.
Thanks, WB.
Thanks, Casablanca.
Thanks, Boggie.
Thanks, Motion Picture Academy.
Thanks, HD.
Thanks, etc.
Thanks, everyone!!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have this on order and wll order Bounty too.

i wish i would hav e taken mr. Harris' silence on sparticus
as advice.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I've already pre-ordered Casablanca too Tony. Never really liked Spartacus that much myself....:)

Looking forward to seeing the Casablanca HD-DVD during the holidays with my parents. They will be in AWE. :)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Well, RAH just helped sell one more copy of "Casablanca." My defenses were overcome.

And for those of you who haven't seen a high-quality print of a vintage black and white film in several years (or ever), you will not believe your eyes. The textures, the detail, and the clarity of these films can often put color prints to shame.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I remember showing this movie to my then-girlfriend-now-wife for the first time and having her fall in love with it. I also saw this on the Big Screen a few years back in Seattle in the 5th Avenue Theater. Can't wait for this release!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks