What's new

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
What about Copacabana which I didn't expect to but found entertaining? Carmen and Groucho together are the Bergman and Bogart of comedy.
Anybody have any comments on the quality of the bluray?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
What about Copacabana which I didn't expect to but found entertaining? Carmen and Groucho together are the Bergman and Bogart of comedy.
I'm not an expert- but the Olive Bluray is fine.

1668277222731.png

It's from a print and there's been no "restoration" to remove dirt etc - but also no DNR that I could see. The sound is um tolerable but not reference quality by any means.

Koro

Auditioning
Real Name
Iain
The Blu-ray of Copacabana looks fine. Detail is good, with a nice enough layer of grain.
Contrast, black levels and greyscale looked also good to me.
No obvious signs of digital tinkering to my eyes, just a fair bit of specks dotting the image as it's worst offender.

Edit:
B-Roll beat me to it, but he is absolutely right.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I don't own the BD, but looking at screencaps I like the improvements of the UHD BD so it makes it a no-brainer. Going to see if it drops a little by Black Friday.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I got the steelbook today, imported from the UK. Wow. This is the Casablanca box set I’ve always wanted. The press kit! Posters! Lobby cards! This is a set that is finally worthy of the movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got the steelbook today, imported from the UK. Wow. This is the Casablanca box set I’ve always wanted. The press kit! Posters! Lobby cards! This is a set that is finally worthy of the movie.
Didn't we have that stuff from prior home video releases.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Lots of collectibles don't make sense when you think about it. People collect all sorts of weird things like bottle caps, marbles, stamps, postcards, Coke bottles. My wife collects colored-glass vases, bottles, and the like. My mother collected snail-design tchotchkes. The mother of a friend did the same, only with owls instead of snails. There's no rational explanation for it.

I collect movies, books, and comics. Some people don't think that makes any sense, either.

I like SteelBooks because they give a little extra pizzazz to the package. I also prefer hardcover books to paperbacks. I don't try to make sense of it. It just is what it is.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would consider buying/collecting some steelbooks if they were more damage-proof-able. Yeah, I used bags for comics (though I haven't meaningfully added to my fairly modest collection in ages... pretty much since long before DVD), but I'm not too keen on going that route just for a small batch of steelbooks... plus that still doesn't help w/ damages that too often occur before I receive/have them in my possession...

Just not worth the bother to me...

_Man_

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Lots of collectibles don't make sense when you think about it. People collect all sorts of weird things like bottle caps, marbles, stamps, postcards, Coke bottles. My wife collects colored-glass vases, bottles, and the like. My mother collected snail-design tchotchkes. The mother of a friend did the same, only with owls instead of snails. There's no rational explanation for it.

I collect movies, books, and comics. Some people don't think that makes any sense, either.

I like SteelBooks because they give a little extra pizzazz to the package. I also prefer hardcover books to paperbacks. I don't try to make sense of it. It just is what it is.

To be fair, I've never really understood why so many people get bent out of shape about ugly DVD/BD/4K covers, either.

I look at covers for like 2 seconds while I get the disc out of the case! :D

Movie posters - and album covers - I view as art, but DVD/etc. covers just seem utilitarian for me.

So that attitude spreads to steelbooks.

But if people love 'em, more power and all that! :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
To be fair, I've never really understood why so many people get bent out of shape about ugly DVD/BD/4K covers, either.

I look at covers for like 2 seconds while I get the disc out of the case! :D

Movie posters - and album covers - I view as art, but DVD/etc. covers just seem utilitarian for me.

So that attitude spreads to steelbooks.

But if people love 'em, more power and all that! :)

Then maybe you cared more about LD covers/boxes perhaps... and yeah, I would/do too.

For me, the substantially smaller sizes of DVD, BD/4K disc cases certainly reduces that very substantially... though I still don't like to see/have cases/covers damaged regardless -- and that's my biggest beef w/ steelbooks and most of the paper-based (digipak) packaging (though I have sorta liked what Criterion did for some of the big sets at least in recent years, eg. the Ingmar Bergman set though I'm still quite wary of that actual disc storage method itself).

Still, much prefer better cover artwork for at least some cases, but that wouldn't usually stop me from buying (nor do I usually complain about cover artwork on DVD/BD/4K disc cases). I'm definitely more likely to avoid steelbooks (both because of the extra cost and easy damage issue) than ugly cover artwork for these... though I have been tempted to try the steelbook route in the case of The Untouchables, LOL...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF I can (easily, cost-effectively enough) generate/acquire good quality, alternative cover artwork for BD/4K disc cases myself, I'd probably go that route... but I just don't really see that either.

I'm aware some folks go that route, but if I'm gonna bother doing that, I want quality results that at least match, if not better, what usually come w/ the official releases in terms of print quality and paper stock, which doesn't seem feasible to me... and yeah, the gains are probably (usually) too inconsequential to justify the costs to me (in both time/effort and $)...

_Man_

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
IF I can (easily, cost-effectively enough) generate/acquire good quality, alternative cover artwork for BD/4K disc cases myself, I'd probably go that route... but I just don't really see that either.

I'm aware some folks go that route, but if I'm gonna bother doing that, I want quality results that at least match, if not better, what usually come w/ the official releases in terms of print quality and paper stock, which doesn't seem feasible to me... and yeah, the gains are probably (usually) too inconsequential to justify the costs to me (in both time/effort and $)...

For me, it would take more time than it's worth. I have trouble finding the time to watch all the discs I buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks