What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - Candyman (1992) -- in 4k UHD (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Scream Factory's new 4k edition of Bernard Rose's original (1992) Candyman is proof that a modern film, shot on 35/4 can look like a film print on 4k UHD when handled properly.

Everything about this disc is gorgeous - color, densities, grain structure, stability, black and white levels.

Both the theatrical as well as extended versions are on the 4k disc.

Dolby Atmos upgrades the audio from the previous release, which was DTS-HD MA 5.1.

Nice to see one of the best horror films from the late 20th century arrive on 4k.

Nothing more to be said. Best for fans to grab a copy.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Beautifully

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I watched the 4K of the unrated version tonight.. It really looks fantastic and Phillip Glass' score is magnificent. I've seen CANDYMAN many times. I was living in Chicago when it was released, and yes Cabrini Green was bad...actually worse than what was depicted in the film.
I don't ever say that I love a horror film but I do love this soulful, hypnotic film. However, It's now been 30 years and I still will never say Candyman 5 times.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Does the master for the US Scream Factory 4K UHD originate from Arrow Video? I have ordered mine from Arrow Video UK - they always provide comprehensive mastering and authoring information with their 4K UHD special editions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks