What's new

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And the basic choice is get it now instead of waiting 3-12 months -- for some that outweighs the price differential or playing Pawn Stars

A choice is a choice just like with LOTR/Hobbit sets vs waiting 8 months for the presumed combination release. Is the current choice worth the tradeoff, but it beats where it stood 6 months ago with no option at all.

Hopefully it doesn't turn into one of those Blue is the Warmest Color deals where people are now on their 7th year of waiting for the Deluxe Uncut disc that was supposed to appear "soon" or the decades of waiting on the perfect Star Wars releases.

Last edited:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I can outlive this box o'junk. I don't care what they do. And I also don't think it's easy to watch these types of compilations because they skip around in years and directors. I had a hard time sitting through the Golden collections because of this.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
The strange and ironic thing is that I bet that there are some funko enthusiasts out there thinking, "Why must I pay extra for those worthless discs when all I want is the funko. I wish I could just buy the funko by itself at an appropriately reduced price." C'est la vie.

I would like to take a few moments to publicly thank George Feltenstein for having enough faith in the film Mister Roberts that the box-o-junk treatment - complete with a miniature potted palm tree, a cook book with Doc's recipe for faux Red Label, and a facsimile of Ensign Pulver's copy of God's Little Acre with his handwritten annotations - was not necessary. (yes, I'm being a bit facetious).

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I have the Looney Tunes Platinum Collection BDs, volumes 1-3, and have enjoyed them immensely, but I'm not sure how much of the Bugs material is duplicated on this set. Re your comment about the pack-ins, Volume One of the Platinum collection was a "book" style but the subsequent volumes were in standard multi-disc cases. I was happy to get the content, though.
I believe 40 of the cartoons here are new to Blu or haven’t been released before.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
The strange and ironic thing is that I bet that there are some funko enthusiasts out there thinking, "Why must I pay extra for those worthless discs when all I want is the funko. I wish I could just buy the funko by itself at an appropriately reduced price." C'est la vie.

I would like to take a few moments to publicly thank George Feltenstein for having enough faith in the film Mister Roberts that the box-o-junk treatment - complete with a miniature potted palm tree, a cook book with Doc's recipe for faux Red Label, and a facsimile of Ensign Pulver's copy of God's Little Acre with his handwritten annotations - was not necessary. (yes, I'm being a bit facetious).
Now that's a box of junk I'd shell out for, especially that hand-notated copy of "God's Little Acre".

buckmichaels

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I have ordered it. I'm really excited to have more Bugs Bunny on blu-ray. I feel it's important that I support these releases, or there won't be anymore new vintage animation releases. I've also pre-ordered the new Tex Avery blu-ray as well. As the other poster pointed out, if there isn't enough interest, it will be another "Tom and Jerry Vol 2" debacle.

Doug Abbott

Agent
Thanks Howie,

saved me the work of posting my own mockup, yes many of these had been released before but not in HD.

So, this is what we have, and it’s one of those odd things where you are happy and ticked at the same release. It sells well and the possibility exist of maybe a second volume?? Who knows, only the accounting office.

And that is Warner Brothers strengths and weakness, they have such a huge vast library, between Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, the back catalog of MGM, the exclusives on Popeye, Tex Avery. The Original Fleischer Superman's, that at this point has become a Holy Grail if it gets restored and released as its own comprehensive package.

Anything released, is either a boon or a bust, In the way of animation, because in today's modern let's do everything with a computer it's nice to see actual artwork from artists who had a sense of humor and understood timing . Case in point, Porky Pig got 101 titles released, via the archive all in DVD format. Would I love to see every one of these get a complete and total restoration and then a possible HD release, absolutely!!! I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

So, let's look at numbers

A total of 270 shorts were released during the 1930s

A total of 307 shorts were released during the 1940s.

A total of 278 shorts were released during the 1950s.

A total of 147 shorts were released during the 1960s.

A total of 39 regular shorts have been released since 1970.

Grand Total 1041 Theatrical Shorts

This does not take in account, certain WB “official” animated shorts such as Private SNAFU or Mr. Hook, which of course were for the war effort and basically one-off training for military members. And well, maybe not suited for small children to watch. As these were made for adults, the problem therein lies with a lot of the animation from that time frame, it wasn't politically correct, unfortunately parents seemed to think just because it's an animated film that it's OK for children. how many of them would let their kids watch Sausage Party?

Now trying to nail these down to a comprehensive collection that's an entirely different story, 6 Volumes of Looney Tunes Gold Collection, 3 Volumes of Platinum Collection, Looney Tunes: Mouse Chronicles The Chuck Jones Collection, Plus the various shorts that have been released HD as extras or as bonus features on various films.

I do love the fact, that because of HBO Max many of these are being restored, hopefully to their original uncut running, and hopefully many more will be released. But I honestly don't ever see then doing a complete comprehensive set of releases the way that Disney did with the Disney Treasures line of each character. More in line if Warner Brothers wanted to do that they would have to do years instead of characters , you can break it up into two or three year chunks.

I know it's a hard sell, how do you throw somebody like Bosko on the front of a package and get people to buy it, black and white, a character that most people don't even know except for animation nuts, who would be salivating at the chance of having these properly restored and released. All the way back to the original Harman and Ising period, which was in response to Disney. And as we creep slowly towards 2021, and the first of these animated shorts gets closer to the century mark, Bosko, the Talk-Ink Kid (1929), the legacy they started has endured.

For those that do not have it , Thunderbean did a great set of the Private SNAFU shorts, and the up coming Puppetoon II release will have a Bugs cameo, that was done at a different studio. Lets see what happens next.
:D
Are these the new edit copies that removed all violence from the cartoons?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
In the past the content from gift sets from Warner Bros first become available in Europe . No Bugs Bunny 80th is available yet from overseas Amazon sites other than imports of this set but perhaps that is where a disc only set will first be seen. Warner Bros blu rays are usually region free.

My complements to Warner Bros for getting such accurate voice recreations of the classic Warner Bros cartoon characters. In the cartoon celebrating Bug's 51 1/2 Anniversary, included in this set, the voices are spot on.

Last edited:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I don't know, oh, dear God I hope not at that point it wouldn't be Looney Tunes. It just be the same watered-down force-fed crap that Cartoon Network is tried to shove down people's throats for the last 15 years

Nnno. Warner has film prints to restore, not TV ones.

So no, unlike Turner/Cartoon Network, we already got "Bewitched Bunny" on the first Warner Blu set, and it wasn't banned because Bugs saying "Eh, sure, but aren't they all witches inside?" was considered "toxic sexist" and "misogynist"... :rolleyes:

(Not sure about "A Lad in His Lamp", though, Warner had a bad experience with that one personally, and we haven't seen it on disk yet.)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In the past the content from gift sets from Warner Bros first become available in Europe . No Bugs Bunny 80th is available yet from overseas Amazon sites other than imports of this set but perhaps that is where a disc only set will first be seen. Warner Bros blu rays are usually region free.

My complements to Warner Bros for getting such accurate voice recreations of the classic Warner Bros cartoon characters. In the cartoon celebrating Bug's 51 1/2 Anniversary, included in this set, the voices are spot on.
The Bugs Bunny set, including the figure, is getting a U.K. release next week as an exclusive from Zavvi.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
And because everyone is a fan, Zavvi is selling additional figures separately.

1606381684320.png
1606381713547.png

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
And because everyone is a fan, Zavvi is selling additional figures separately.

View attachment 82410 View attachment 82411

ok , so I don't get it, but my grandkids seem to understand, when I visited Disney at the beginning of these damn things, I thought that maybe they would be a little like bobble heads, or that damn singing fish , have it's short time then quietly go away.

I will say that both of these are a better representation than the one that comes in the current release package from the pictures. and i am not saying that I haven't bitten and bought some of these things in the past, both Batman sets, they stay in the box.
really only one set of releases that have come with action figures have had those taken out and are proudly displayed , have their own shelf and everything.
1606402574803.png

by the way they are not action figures, they are toys, not fooling myself one bit , but they do have a sentimental place in my heart, and the fact that I got my youngest Granddaughter to become a Gumby and Davey and Goliath fan at the ripe old age of 4, imagine what happens when I introduce her to Wallace and Gromit at 6.

and a couple of post up the mention of one title, that moves directly to the front the moment it is announced. there are pages upon pages written by rabid fans, of the original theatricals, HB, and to a lesser extent Deitch, Jones

1606403336755.png

MGM's Tom and Jerry are the category's most lauded animated series, winning seven Oscars and being nominated for a total of 13.

hope the day comes that they announce this again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks