What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I listened to the 1969 Cary Grant Q&A on the Blu-ray, and one of the audience members sounds a STUNNING amount like Jeff Goldblum - vocal tones, vocal patterns, whole thing.

Goldblum was 16 and living in Pittsburgh at the time, so it's highly unlikely it IS him.

But DAMN!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
'Bringing Up Baby' is available on HBOMax and we watched it today. I don't own the Criterion Blu-ray but the streaming image quality was better than I expected so it may or may not be the newer transfer.

It was my first viewing of the film. I'm sorry to report that, while I enjoyed the overall storyline and the quality of the acting, I was put off by the indecisive and submissive nature of Grant's character. Jesus man, grow a backbone and take control of your destiny instead of letting surrounding circumstances treat you like a doormat. I know it's supposed to be funny, but there's nothing funny about a male character that seems to have lost his testicles.

Needless to say, I will not be buying the Blu-ray.

Mark

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
It's a farce comedy character not one that is going to have an arc of growth and development. A recognizable stereotype of the absent minded professor that audiences once immediately understood that Grant plays so beautifully.
I mean you're really serious I assume. Maybe that's why in what's up doc Bogdonovich has O'Neil carrying around his igneous rocks with him.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This title must be either extremely popular or supplies are limited due to low replication capability or similar because my copy has been delayed first as Amazon was trying to get stock and now I got notification that shipping has been delayed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Since I only had two Criterion titles I wanted this time, I just went ahead and ordered them from Amazon. Both have been delayed.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This title must be either extremely popular or supplies are limited due to low replication capability or similar because my copy has been delayed first as Amazon was trying to get stock and now I got notification that shipping has been delayed.
I ordered BUB about a week before it came out from Amazon. I separately some undershirts and two of the newer reduced WA blu-rays. They all arrived a day after release day in a cardboard box that was not down by by the river ;)!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Revived my copy last week. Glad I was not delayed. There must have been a greater demand than they anticipated. That’s good news for future releases.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
My favorite thing about Bringing Up Baby is that it is peopled totally by eccentrics. There is no one (well, perhaps the aged lawyer) who isn't quirky, hilarious, and endearing.
Oh, I don't know...I think May Robson's Aunt Elizabeth is a fairly level-headed egg - a no-nonsense gal who is confused by her niece's behavior and all but thoroughly disgusted by David's. Very funny stuff indeed.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting some of you got your discs pretty quickly and Matt is still waiting too for his Criterion titles. It makes sense the Criterion sale has spurred a lot of orders. I have a notification that it will arrive today, but Amazon still shows it has not shipped yet. I’ll let you know.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
May Robson who had quite a range as evinced by Lady for a Day(an Oscar travesty if there ever was one,) Tom Sawyer and BUB does get a bit nutty later in the film.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My copy of the Criterion Bringing Up Baby arrived late in the afternoon yesterday! So that’s cool.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Howard Hawks always delivered, and this is no exception. And the power team of Grant and Hepburn is golrious. I first remember seeing it on TMC, and it seemed to be one of their favorites as well, because it seems to be in their rotation often. It may seen strange to see Cary Grant in a comedy, after films like To Catch a Theif or Soth by southwest.But remember, he was trained in vaudville and even in some earlier films, like Gunga Din, had certain comedic elements. A fun film and one of my favorites Hawks projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks