What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Blue Denim -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Philip Dunne's 1959 Blue Denim, was based upon the play by James Leo Herlihy & William Noble, and brought from stage to screen two of the leads, Carol Lynley and Warren Berlinger.

Young Brandon de Wilde was added to the teen mix for the Fox production.

The concept of teen pregnancy had to be handled delicate in 1950s Hollywood, but the story still works over half a century later.

On the tech side, the film was photographed by Leo Tover, whose career began in the 1920s, and included From the Terrace, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Sunday in New York.

His work is beautifully reproduced in Twilight Time's new Blu-ray, courtesy of a master from Fox. While grain appears a bit diminished, the overall appearance, grayscale, black levels and resolution, are magnificent in projection.

It's going to be the music side however, that will interest many people here, as the score is by Bernard Herrmann, coming off several Hitchcock films, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, and Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot.

The major influence here is Vertigo, Vertigo, and more Vertigo, as themes will pop out as the film moves along. This is one of those times where that isolated score will come in handy.

The track in stereo rounds out the package.

A beautiful look back at a more innocent, but still problematic era, and a lovely Blu-ray release.

As an aside, Marsha Hunt, who plays de Wilde's mother, hit 100 last October.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"Blue" + Blu + Herrmann, too = No Brainer.

P.S. Wouldn't it also be great if someone could take "Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot" beyond its DVD state?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"Blue" + Blu + Herrmann, too = No Brainer.

P.S. Wouldn't it also be great if someone could take "Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot" beyond its DVD state?

It would, along with an isolated score. Last I heard CWF had abandoned their 70mm screenings.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It would, along with an isolated score. Last I heard CWF had abandoned their 70mm screenings.
DAMN. This is a real downer of news. It was only last weekend where I began a conversation with a family member about our making the road trip towards specifically seeing this film and restoration; along with Williamsburg, itself. Thanks for saving me from deeper disappointments. It would had been terrible arriving there, only to discover the bad news at the other end of the journey. Such a shame.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
It's going to be the music side however, that will interest many people here, as the score is by Bernard Herrmann, coming off several Hitchcock films, 7th Voyage of Sinbad, and Williamsburg: The Story of a Patriot.

The major influence here is Vertigo, Vertigo, and more Vertigo, as themes will pop out as the film moves along. This is one of those times where that isolated score will come in handy.

I got more of a "Marnie" vibe from this score.

Neil

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Can anyone verify that it's an isolated score-only track versus a music-and-effects track? If it's music-only, I'm all over it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Can anyone verify that it's an isolated score-only track versus a music-and-effects track? If it's music-only, I'm all over it.

I listened to it while working on my official HTF review (coming shortly!) and it is indeed an isolated score track rather than M&E. You can occasionally hear a cue number being called before the start of a music cue actually begins, but the music itself plays without interruption or distraction.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I listened to it while working on my official HTF review (coming shortly!) and it is indeed an isolated score track rather than M&E. You can occasionally hear a cue number being called before the start of a music cue actually begins, but the music itself plays without interruption or distraction.

Yes!!! Ordered! Thanks Josh!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The score sounded pretty great to me, as well - I am hearing a lot of "Vertigo, Jr" in it, but that's probably much more notable now by a modern viewer like myself that's come of age with Vertigo considered one of the holy grails of film, whereas Vertigo was kinda dismissed on its original release and probably wasn't setting the world on fire with soundtrack album sales back then.

(I hear a ton of Michael Giacchino's Star Trek work in his Doctor Strange score, so it's not like musicians quoting themselves (whether consciously or unconsciously) is limited to the 1950s.)

It didn't really take me out of the movie, but there were a couple times where I sorta smiled to myself during Blue Denim and thought "that sounds awfully familiar..."

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Music only. My recollection is there is also some music on the iso score that is not used in the movie. We had the dubbing notes (we usually have those on Fox titles) so on the isolated track there is some extra music not heard in the movie.

Neil

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Music only. My recollection is there is also some music on the iso score that is not used in the movie. We had the dubbing notes (we usually have those on Fox titles) so on the isolated track there is some extra music not heard in the movie.

Neil

I did some further research after my last post, and it seems that there are a few cues missing from the Film Score Monthly CD release from 2001 (thanks to Bernard Herrmann researcher Bill Wrobel):

"Memory"
"Tree"
"Resolution"

The CD does contain the cues "The Playroom" and "The Letter," which aren't in the film. Perhaps those are the extra cues you're referring to, Neil...? In any case, as a Herrmann buff (okay, fanatic), the promise of a few otherwise-unavailable cues is easily worth the $29.95 plus shipping.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
"Playroom", "The Letter", "The Dress" and "Resolution" are unused. "The Tree" had wow, but was probably dealt with. I haven't heard the final track yet.

Neil

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Philip Dunne's 1959 Blue Denim, was based upon the play by James Leo Herlihy & William Noble, and brought from stage to screen two of the leads, Carol Lynley and Warren Berlinger.

Young Brandon de Wilde was added to the teen mix for the Fox production.

The concept of teen pregnancy had to be handled delicate in 1950s Hollywood, but the story still works over half a century later.

On the tech side, the film was photographed by Leo Tover, whose career began in the 1920s, and included From the Terrace, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Sunday in New York.

His work is beautifully reproduced in Twilight Time's new Blu-ray, courtesy of a master from Fox. While grain appears a bit diminished, the overall appearance, grayscale, black levels and resolution, are magnificent in projection.

The track in stereo rounds out the package.

A beautiful look back at a more innocent, but still problematic era, and a lovely Blu-ray release.

As an aside, Marsha Hunt, who plays de Wilde's mother, hit 100 last October.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH

A much loved favourite film of mine. Saw it several times where I worked upon it's original release. It was called BLUE JEANS probably as few people knew what denim was. Sad that Brandon De Wilde had such a short life. Who could forget him in HUD - a classic film that is long overdue for a bluray release. HUD is one of the all -time greats in cinema.Impeccable casting and stunning black and white cinematograpphy. A flawless masterpiece.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Some macabre trivia: in Truman Capote's book "In Cold Blood," the boyfriend of Nancy Clutter is quoted as saying that a few hours before she was murdered they had made a date to see Blue Denim the next evening. The boyfriend, Bobby Rupp, said that "all the girls" in Holcomb, Kansas were looking forward to seeing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks