What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Blade is one of those films that makes great use of both 4k, as well as HDR. Shot on film, and now scanned at 4k,
it shows off the process beautifully.

Grain structure is fine and present, black levels are magnificent. And shadow detail works nicely.

The new 4k Blu-ray from WB is reference quality, and the film is great fun. I hadn't seen it in years, and
had forgotten much of it, inclusive of the fact that there are creatures of the night involved.

The track in Dolby Atmos is proscenium filling and wonderful.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Definately

Recommended

RAH

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
"Proscenium" sent me straight to the dictionary but I do think I'll be ordering this one again.

Thanks for the recommendation!

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The 4K stream on iTunes looks wonderful as well. A *huge* improvement over the lousy Blu-ray we've had available for years and years.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
holy heck not sure how i missed this, thanks RAH for putting it on my radar. This was great fun and I'm an unapologetic fan. Actually ordered the steelbook from Best Buy...I'd not ordered Steelbooks in a long while, and now I've just gone back to back with this and Total Recall.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Just watched the UHD last night and it is indeed reference quality. The contrast and black levels are as good as you will see on disc. The fine detail is amazing as well; the closeups of Wesley Snipes and N'Bushe Wright show off an amazing amount of the textures of their skin.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
The 4K stream on iTunes looks wonderful as well. A *huge* improvement over the lousy Blu-ray we've had available for years and years.
Just be glad you didn't have to put up with the Canadian Alliance Blu-ray. Movie only, and cropped to 1.78:1. Agree that the 4K stream is a marked improvement, especially the all-important reds.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Just be glad you didn't have to put up with the Canadian Alliance Blu-ray. Movie only, and cropped to 1.78:1. Agree that the 4K stream is a marked improvement, especially the all-important reds.
A bit off topic, but Alliance released From Dusk Till Dawn a while ago. I’m not overly picky about the look of most films on BluRay, but I thought FDTD looks awful. I was glad to see that It’s rumored to be released in UHD (hopefully Lions Gate or some other video distributor is doing it up right).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
A bit off topic, but Alliance released From Dusk Till Dawn a while ago. I’m not overly picky about the look of most films on BluRay, but I thought FDTD looks awful. I was glad to see that It’s rumored to be released in UHD (hopefully Lions Gate or some other video distributor is doing it up right).
I think Lionsgate has the distribution licence on Dimension titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks