What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Black Sails -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Starz!, the American cable entity, has been doing some very interesting work in the past few years, creating programming that takes advantage of digital technology in HD.

Probably their best known are the seasons of Spartacus, which relies extremely heavily upon a digital world which surrounds the actors.

Da Vinci's Demons and The White Queen also make good use of the technology.

But to my eye, the most natural and pleasing work can be found in Black Sails, a pirate drama, taking place in early Nassau, as a community totally pirate controlled.

A superb cast, including Toby Stephens and Hannah New, who is, and is also superb in her role.

The entire cast fills a seaport to overflowing with denizens so dirty, that on panels larger than 55 inches, you can smell them.

Those who read my words will know of my penchant for test viewing cable fair in projection, to see how well it holds up.

In a word.  

Magnificently!  Reality blending with digital work at feature quality.

Which brings cinematographer Gavin Struthers to the fore.

You may not know his name, but you've seen his imagery, and I've a feeling you'll be seeing his work for some time to come.

http://www.gavinstruthers.co.uk/Gavin_Struthers_-_Director_Of_Photography/SHOWREEL.html

Black Sails in great fun, and superior cable entertainment.

The Blu-ray is perfect in every respect.

Recommended

RAH

dvdclon

Second Unit
Real Name
David
I just watched the two presently-released seasons of Black Sails and didn't notice Gavin Struthers in the credits of either. Lukas Ettlin and Jules O'Loughlin are the DP's for those seasons.

Apparently, Gavin Struthers comes in with the third season. I have seen his fine work on Downtown Abbey, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks