What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Birdman -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Let me be plain.

Birdman is my personal Best Picture of 2014, and one that I would consider "cinema."

As Mr. Inarritu's work was shot with an Arri Alexxa, the down-rez to Blu-ray is a simple affair, hence it accurately represents what we saw on screen.

Fox's release is therefore a perfect Blu-ray, with great imagery and an extremely dense, and forceful track.

Color, densities, black levels all in proper place.

I'm not a fan of special packaging, and generally find hard paper slipcases to be an annoyance meant for disposal.

Not so with Birdman.

The disc comes housed in a bright red (scarlet) case, and the ink on the surrounding cover compliments the case. The artwork is special, and will remain with my disc.

One small caveat. With an outer packaging as nice as it is, the matte finish has had two stickers added. And unfortunately, neither is easily removed. While one can peel them away without real damage, layers of glue are still attached. I found that film cleaner does a decent job of removing it. Others will undoubtedly find other solutions.

I would suggest to those who purchase the added stickers (and they are necessary, as they properly hawk the film's various nominations) that more easily removable stickers be used in the future.

No ratings, as the Blu-ray is from a digital source, but the word perfection should sum things up.

Very Highly Recommended.

Birdman is a film that will entertain, as it allows your imagination to soar.

RAH

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, excellent film, excellent blu-ray, and excellent artwork!

Birdman.jpg

Top notch package all the way around.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Agreed- Excellent, excellent. I bought it blindly before reading any review- just saw the clips. The location shots at the St James theater and its surroundings make this unforgettable- a real New York treasure. And the acting all around is just superb-the best Naomi Watts has been in a long time. And the continuous long tracking shots takes makes this a film lovers's delight and gives the acting an unparalleled authenticity. I can't say enough.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
This was my Best Pic of 2014, as well. And the BD is as gorgeous as the film.

Used Goo-Gone to deal with the stickers. Usually, I just toss slipcovers, but this one is too damn nice.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
This was my choice to win Best Picture all the way!!!! And it did!!!

It was also my personal choice for Best Picture as well--not just in winning the Oscar, but my favorite film of 2014 which I place atop a list of films I enjoyed as released this past year.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'll be using a heat gun to warm up the stickers to get them off. The BB price sticker is even tougher to remove.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
While I don't really care about the Academy Awards at least this is a Best Picture winner that I actually really liked and deserved to be in contention.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks