What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Beverly Hills Cop, a 1984 production from Martin Brest, is, or at least was, a film that I enjoyed far more than Coming to America.

It's still a fun film, but to me, it doesn't stand the test of time. It looks and feels like an early '80s film that hasn't bettered with bottle age. Nor do the performances, across the board.

It's a gorgeous 4k release, in Dolby Vision and DTS-HD MA, but even with those textures found on every Bruckheimer-Simpson production, and the requisite track that comes along with it, it no longer rings true.

Sorry to be the naysayer on these films.

I wish that Trading Places had been given the 4k treatment. I really like that one.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Recommended

RAH

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The relationship between Reinhold’s and Ashton’s characters is fun to watch too.

Agree - my comments sold the supporting cast short, as most of them do fine work. Even the brief turn by Damon Wayans amuses.

That said, it really is Murphy's movie. While the others add flavor, he's the reason it's still a classic! :)

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Great scene where the tractor trailer is smashing up a bunch of cars while The Pointer Sisters song Neutron Dance is playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artscience100