What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Below & The Darkness -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another double bill from Echo Bridge, this one fares better in terms of quality than The Human Stain.

Below is a genre-bending film from David Twohy and co-screenwriter Darren Aronofsky. The genres, war and supernatural.

Darkness, from filmmaker Jaume Balaguero, stars Anna Paquin (before she discovered vampires), along with Lena Olin and Giancarlo Giannini.

Of the two, I probably skip Darkness, and give some time to Below, and fortunately at $13 street, one can do that without feeling taken.

The big questions on these double bills, is how do they look? And fortunately, Below looks and sounds fine. And no, it does not have uncompressed audio.

Below:

Image - 4.5

Audio - 4

Recommended.

RAH

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
Below isn't lossless? I also read from forum members that it isn't even 5.1 but rather has been down mixed to 2.0.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
DARKNESS lacks a lossless 5.1 track*, but oddly has an uncompressed 2.0 track. Personally, I'm a fan of DARKNESS and am happy with the Blu-ray, especially at this price point!
Vincent
* To be clear, it HAS a 5.1 track, it's just not lossless.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Very impressed with the PQ on BELOW. First time I've been impressed by one of their Blu-rays. Well worth the $7 I paid. As for DARKNESS, I lost count the number of times Echo Bridge has released it but at least its the longer cut this time. So-so film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmCaudata