What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Barbarella -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I thought the ratings systems (in both US and UK) had got a lot stricter with nudity since the 60s-70s. I think it's a lot to do with neo-Puritanism (masquerading as anti-sexism), but where like you, Brandon, I can recall lots of movies from that era with nudity, I can't recall seeing anything since about 1990 (at G/PG or U/PG) that's shown so much as a flash of skin. Especially since Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" at Superbowl 38 seems to have traumatised America ;)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
ahollis said:
i always thought that BARBARELLA was a fun campy film that can enjoyed with a few glasses of wine or a few bourbon and cokes with bunch of friends.  A very guilty pleasure of mine and I look forward to the Blu-ray. 
The theme song alone gets you giddy . It was the 60s Flash Gordon

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
I'm glad to hear that presentation expectations are high for BARBARELLA PSYCHEDELLA. It's on my A-list of pre-orders this year. I never tire of listening to the pop stylings of The Bob Crewe Generation on the soundtrack! All I can say when I get it is: HELLO PRETTY PRETTY!
Not to mention I named my dog PUGARELLA!

Kosty

Supporting Actor
Real Name
blueshadow
ahollis said:
i always thought that BARBARELLA was a fun campy film that can enjoyed with a few glasses of wine or a few bourbon and cokes with bunch of friends.  A very guilty pleasure of mine and I look forward to the Blu-ray. 
I just love that this type of film is coming out on Blu-ray.

Kosty

Supporting Actor
Real Name
blueshadow
Mark Oates said:
I got gouged on Amazon for a copy of the DVD of WDRTE, but all-in-all it was worth it as the disc is the most magnificent cheese-fest - it includes Hammer's magnificently idiotic space western Moon Zero Two.
That film sounds like fun.
[VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQYPgx2FdwQ&feature=related[/VIDEO]

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Has the edited version ever been issued on video? I have the 1981 CED videodisc and the 1990-something widescreen laserdisc- both are a bit beyond today's PG standards, but same could be said for a lot of other movies.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
TheVid said:
I'm glad to hear that presentation expectations are high for BARBARELLA PSYCHEDELLA. It's on my A-list of pre-orders this year.
For me too. It's always been on the short list of most wanted Paramount titles for me. Honestly didn't expect to see it when we are still waiting for so many other A list classics.
Happy to hear the quality looks good from a cursory view. I've seen the slip case for this, and - no kidding- it's a stunner The panel opens up to provide a gorgeous bit of unadulterated McGinnis poster art from the original release. Very classy packaging for a kitschy film with dubious sales potential.
Between this, Outland, Coma, Altered States, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers,Twins of Evil, and the Marilyn Monroe films- July might just end up being the biggest Bd month of the year for me. Pretty unexpected.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I love how Duran Duran's "Arena" long form music video is a pseudo sequel, with Milo O'Shea reprising his role.
And pretty please, Paramount, release Diabolik, with both English dubs if possible?

Kosty

Supporting Actor
Real Name
blueshadow
SilverWook said:
I love how Duran Duran's "Arena" long form music video is a pseudo sequel, with Milo O'Shea reprising his role.
And pretty please, Paramount, release Diabolik, with both English dubs if possible?
Here you go.
Duran Duran- Arena The Return of Duran Duran HQ
[VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkOfwdRkmy0&feature=related
[/VIDEO]

adklz

Agent
Real Name
jim
The comic strip "Li'l Abner" had two feature length films. The first in 1940 and the second, based on the Broadway musical, in 1959.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
adklz said:
The comic strip "Li'l Abner" had two feature length films. The first in 1940 and the second, based on the Broadway musical, in 1959.
Oh yes, let's have a Blu-ray of the 1959, what a great movie.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I don't think the PG edit of Barbarella has ever been put out on home video. I'd put votes in for Diabolik and Lil Abner in a split second.
I'd also love to see Jane and the Lost City on Blu (a British Brenda Starr style WWII adventure)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Mark Oates /t/321593/a-few-words-about-barbarella-in-blu-ray#post_3939307
I thought the ratings systems (in both US and UK) had got a lot stricter with nudity since the 60s-70s. I think it's a lot to do with neo-Puritanism (masquerading as anti-sexism), but where like you, Brandon, I can recall lots of movies from that era with nudity, I can't recall seeing anything since about 1990 (at G/PG or U/PG) that's shown so much as a flash of skin. Especially since Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" at Superbowl 38 seems to have traumatised America

It's my understanding that the MPAA have always been puritanical when it comes to nudity and sex on screen but they don't mind someone's head being blown off, in the UK we have always been less restrictive on sex and nudity but more strict on violence, things improved considerably when James Ferman retired as the head of the BBFC as far as the latter goes and indeed as far as censorship in general, i don't miss those dark days of censorship under Ferman's reign, he would often deem a film suitable for the cinema required cuts for the home video market and thus as a film fan i hated that, under his reign many a good film was denied a home release.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The MPAA was actually far less conservative in the 60s/70s when it came to nudity. The G rated Planet of the Apes (Heston's rear) and The Andromeda Strain (nude corpse) are examples of this.

The muddiness of the MPAA ratings system began in the mid-70s with the G rating being pigeon-holed as "kids films" due to lots of Disney films such as The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes and the Love Bug films. Basically, G became socially unacceptable by "cool" people who wanted to see movies for "grown ups". Hence by 1977 you get the kid in Close Encounters lamenting seeing Pinocchio because "It's a stupid film rated G for kids" and Star Wars adding the bloody severed arm to get a PG.

This, in turn, weakened the PG rating, because studios started to see the writing on the wall for G rated films at the box office. So more and more films that could have got a G rating were given a PG rating. This broadened the category to an extent that, though Raider of the Lost Ark is just as violent, it took until 1984 and Temple of Doom and Gremlins for families - who were seeing PG as "G but socially OK for adults to see with their kids despite being labeled "parental guidance suggested"" - to complain about it, as if PG meant what G was supposed to mean. Hence, the PG-13.

Now, the same marginalization that occurred with G in the 1970s has occurred with the PG. Studios avoid PG because it's seen as "for kids" and uncommercial. Gee... this sounds familiar... Now you get films like Up getting a PG rating for " some peril and action" or Napoleon Dynamite's PG for "thematic elements and language". Heaven forbid that Up have peril or action! And what thematic elements in Napoleon Dynamite warrant a PG? Teasing? And that LANGUAGE - the harshness of "hecka" and "dang it" just cannot bear a G! They should have been honest with the later and said "Rated PG because if it was G no one over the age of 6 would go see this movie because as a society we're overly conscious of our social status". Tell me - what exactly was in The Muppets this past year to warrant a PG rating? According to the MPAA "some mild rude humor". What rude humor was that, and why didn't all the previous muppet films get a PG instead of a G since they have the exact same style of jokes?

And because completely harmless, family safe movies are getting PG instead of G, the studios push everything that needs to attract a teen audience into PG-13, just like they did with PG in the lat 70s. Now, G means "movies strictly meant for kids - adults need to only grin and bear it" and PG means "movies meant for families, i.e., safe for kids but can be enjoyed by adults".

Therefore, the compete uselessness of the G & PG ratings today.

Ironically, if Disney would resubmit Pinocchio to the MPAA today it would get a PG-13 for depicting minors drinking alcohol and smoking tobacco.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Horses for courses, I suspect, Brandon. Here in the UK they consider bad language far worse than violence. A single f*** will get a 15 certificate in an otherwise U rated picture, while you can depict the most appalling violence in detail. God knows what you need to show to get an 18 or a ban!
Barbarella went out in 1968 with a fully-fledged X. Now it's a 15 and if it goes through the BBFC for the Blu-ray it could wind up with a 12 given what's been getting past the Board the last couple of years. I think it may be able to use the current certification, though.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Returning to the original point, which was that Barbarella went out unrated. For re-issue, with cuts, it received a PG.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Mark Oates /t/321593/a-few-words-about-barbarella-in-blu-ray/30#post_3939463
Horses for courses, I suspect, Brandon. Here in the UK they consider bad language far worse than violence. A single f*** will get a 15 certificate in an otherwise U rated picture, while you can depict the most appalling violence in detail. God knows what you need to show to get an 18 or a ban!
Barbarella went out in 1968 with a fully-fledged X. Now it's a 15 and if it goes through the BBFC for the Blu-ray it could wind up with a 12 given what's been getting past the Board the last couple of years. I think it may be able to use the current certification, though.

A single F word usually gets a 12A but it depends on the context and type of film, it's the C word ( i hate that one ) that will get you in trouble and a minimum of a 15 certificate, use that one several times in a film and it gets you an 18 certificate.

Sexual violence is heavily frowned upon at the BBFC and the type of film which shows that or even implies it can sometimes get banned or cut.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Speaking of Ms. Fonda i hope her best film she was in (so far) and one of the best films of the 1970's comes out on Blu-ray and that is Alan J. Pakula's "Klute" (1971)...great film and excellent performances by Fonda and Donald Sutherland and cinematography by the great Gordon Willis.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I suspect if Barbarella had been released around the holidays instead of Summer, it would have probably gotten an M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks