What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Back to the Beach, a 1987 satire directed by filmmaker Lyndall Hobbs, is based upon a huge series of films produced at Paramount during the 1960s. It's quite an oddity, as it turns 180 degrees from those original films - that began with Beach Party (1963), followed by well over a dozen "beach" and "party" films during that decade - Muscle Beach Party (1964), Bikini Beach (1964), Pajama Party (1964), Beach Blanket Bingo (1965), Ski Party (1965), How to Stuff a Wild Bikini (1965), followed by the topic of this thread Back to the Beach, over two decades later.

Many of these films feature Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello, two stalwart and happy performers in Back to the Beach, who in those earlier films portrayed the darker side of humanity. Beneath all of these "party" and "beach" monikers lay some of the finest and darkest noir since the 1940s - many from the pen of the great John Paxton.

Rarely have there been a series of motion pictures dealing with the darkest attributes of the human soul.

Paramount's new Blu-ray of Back to the Beach, with the number 34 on the spine, is a colorful effort. I have no idea if the grain is correct or real, as it doesn't matter in this situation. What we want are jelly bean colors, blue water and most important, wonderful flesh tones surrounding all those bikinis.

Tremendously entertaining - nominated for four Academy Awards, Back to the Beach is one of those treasures that one will want to pass down from generation to generation, warranting that special spot in the Paramount Presents pantheon.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Surf's Up Dude!!!
Ocean Surf GIF

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I thought BACK TO THE BEACH was nominated for five Oscars, not four. In addition to the usual categories, there was also excellence in surf wrangling.

Btw, Frankie Avalon's performance was definitely echt Noir, especially when he smiled and showed his capped teeth.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I placed my order with Diabolik and am looking forward to getting it when my preorders come along.

As with most fans, I can't believe this film was snubbed when it should have bested the Ben Hur nomination record before Titanic and Lord of the Rings came along. Best make-up for Frankie's hairpiece was a given.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I placed my order with Diabolik and am looking forward to getting it when my preorders come along.

As with most fans, I can't believe this film was snubbed when it should have bested the Ben Hur nomination record before Titanic and Lord of the Rings came along. Best make-up for Frankie's hairpiece was a given.
All joking aside, I love this film. And as far as BEN HUR is concerned, if you're looking for breathless suspense, forget the chariot race. There's edge of your seat thrills in BACK TO THE BEACH wondering where Frankie Avalon's toupee is going to end up.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
All joking aside, I love this film. And as far as BEN HUR is concerned, if you're looking for breathless suspense, forget the chariot race. There's edge of your seat thrills in BACK TO THE BEACH wondering where Frankie Avalon's toupee is going to end up.
the toupee seperates from Frankie, goes to France and starts his own winery!!

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I loved Annette, and I still do.
Have most if not all of her recordings.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
All of the 1960’s Beach films were made by American International Pictures. ( I know you’re funnin’ with us in your review, but crediting Paramount appears to be an honest error )

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
All of the 1960’s Beach films were made by American International Pictures. ( I know you’re funnin’ with us in your review, but crediting Paramount appears to be an honest error )
Check trade marks for 1963-64. Paramount took (and still owns, and protects) the word “Annette.” Disney most likely failed to file along with “cubby,” “Sharon,” “bobby” and “Madge.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks