What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ Back Street (1961) – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Third time was not the charm for Fannie Hurst's novel, which had been previously produced on film in 1932 and 1941, directed by John Stahl, with Irene Dunne and John Boles in the leads, and nine years hence by Robert Stevenson directing Charles Boyer and Margaret Sullivan.

I occasionally occurs that I confuse directors, and that happens with Back Street, as being a Universal film, it's perfect fodder for Douglas Sirk, who unfortunately directed his final work, Imitation of Life, in 1959, at which time he moved to Switzerland.

As directed by David Miller, whose best work is probably Lonely are the Brave.

Unfortunately, Back Street, in it's third incarnation just isn's a great film.

It was however, photographed by Stanley Cortez, which might have meant something, had the transfer been of even average quality.

It isn't, and appears to possibly go back to the days when Roosevelt was in the White House - Teddy, not Franklin.

We'll leave it at that.

Image – 2.5

Audio – 4

Pass / Fail – Fail

Upgrade from DVD - No

RAH

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
An easy pass. It's really a dreadful film that makes hash of the story. The best version is the original 1932 film. At least we know that whoever releases it has access to the gorgeous master that recently played the Criterion Channel.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear the transfer is subpar. :( I've not seen the 1932 version (I love Irene Dunne in comedy but can't abide her weepies) and I find the 1941 version creaks too much (I kept yelling at Margaret Sullavan, "Dump him! Find somebody who'll treat you right!") but there's the glam factor that makes the 1961 eminently watchable for me. Guess I'll stick with the DVD.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Is there a reason you mention the actors for the two prior versions, but neglect to mention them for the title that is actually being reviewed?

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Frankly, I find the 3rd version the only watchable one. Of course it's preposterous, but so are the other two films, and the attractiveness of this cast, both their physical appearance, and their many haute couture/bespoke fashions, plus a really fantastic performance from the gorgeous (oh how I wish she were in VERTIGO), Vera Miles, make this the only one I would ever watch, again. Too bad the Blu-ray appears to be a bust.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I find the 3rd version the only watchable one. Of course it's preposterous, but so are the other two films, and the attractiveness of this cast, both their physical appearance, and their many haute couture/bespoke fashions, plus a really fantastic performance from the gorgeous (oh how I wish she were in VERTIGO), Vera Miles, make this the only one I would ever watch, again. Too bad the Blu-ray appears to be a bust.
Outside of the "wish she were in Vertigo" comment (unless you mean in the Barbara Bel Geddes role ;)) , I'm in total agreement.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby

Completely agree with you about Vera Miles, disappointing that the image isn't better, but still an essential purchase for me.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
After the Cinerama equipment was removed, Back Street was the first movie to play at the New Warner Hollywood theatre.

warnerh102661.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonrany
Recent bookmarks