What's new

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
another change - when Mamae asks Patrick to read to her the words he does not understand, one of them is heterosexual, in the play its homosexual.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
"It was ghastly... just ghastly" "I'm so pleased to make your acquaintance." "Patrick, I didn't know your aunt was literate."

Looking forward to this one.
WARNING: Young Ladies should not drink Dr. Pepper while watching this film!!! ;)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
This is the most exciting release Warner Archives has ever offered in my book, even more so than Dorian Gray and Lust For Life. Hope they mine the 50's classics even more in upcoming months.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
TCM is airing three Rosalind Russell films tomorrow: Never Wave at a WAC, Mourning Becomes Electra, and Man-Proof.
Let's see, first we have a Russell release of "Auntie Mame";
and then today, on television, we have a Russell film entitled: "Never Wave at a WAC".
Is this a coincidence or just some form of subliminal advertising?:D

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I've never been prouder that Rosalind Russell and I have the same birthplace: Waterbury, Connecticut. Sounds like another winner from the Warner Archive. I wish another studio based in Burbank that used to make watches in Waterbury would sit up and take notice. There weren't many extras but they're still there. Meanwhile, her co-star in The Trouble With Angels made two wonderful movies that got fully loaded DVDs and barebones Blu-rays.

They also managed to preserve the rhyme structure though it came at the expense of the alliteration of "behind" and "banned".

Of course, by the time My Fair Lady came to the screen two years later, the bloomin' arses and damns—outnumbering those of Rhett Butler, an anachronistic reference in Lucy's Mame—came with it. Nearly two decades later, when the Production Code was dead and buried, Carol Sobieski put language far from pure into Annie to avoid the stigma of a G rating*, and a decade after that the subsequent Gypsy TV stagings kept the uncensored line.

*Speaking of anachronisms, you can't give them flack for being three years early to Camille and still let Who Framed Roger Rabbit off the hook for being two years early with Goofy Gymnastics and 10 years early with Frank Sinatra's "Witchcraft" as the singing sword's song. None of these anachronisms are arbitrary, however. John Huston co-wrote the screenplay to Jezebel in which Bette Davis (a "Let's Go to the Movies" reference) makes a mention of Camille. With the rabbit, Sinatra, of course, co-starred with another Disney hybrid star (none of the animated characters from either of the studio's 1970s hybrids appeared even though their films were set before 1947), Angela Lansbury, in The Manchurian Candidate. Her first husband, Richard Cromwell, was also in Jezebel.

The Russell building is still there downtown, I drove by it last week!

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I recall the trailer on a dvd being in stereo. And as of this time all disc s should look better becuse of less conpression and les s distance among other things.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
This is the most exciting release Warner Archives has ever offered in my book, even more so than Dorian Gray and Lust For Life. Hope they mine the 50's classics even more in upcoming months.
Yes!! And I hope for a nice remaster of THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks