What's new

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
2. I’m hearing that burned discs, derived from ISO files, may have slight differences in imagery from pressed, which are otherwise compressed and authored., This really only comes into play for review purposes - but can affect the image in small ways.
Affect what aspects of the image? I wouldn't ordinarily expect the color balance or densities to be among those.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I thought it was the best film of its year, it's one of Burt Lancaster's greatest performances, and Louis Malle's direction is, to use a rhyme, perfection. For me, this kind of release is shameful in just about every way. This film did very well for Paramount. I'll probably buy it just to have it but I probably shouldn't because they learn NOTHING when we all lay down our coins for these things.
Burt Lancaster probably would have won the Oscar, if not for a strong Campaign to give it to Henry Fonda (deservedly so, IMO). Lancaster was terrific.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Lancaster versus Fonda.

Both were at their best and most nuanced.

Years such as this is what lends credence to the George C. Scott argument on the Oscar.

IMHO, since the award was still to be presented; better for Fonda to win the trophy, as he had received none throughout his career and the recognition was long past due.

Last edited:

Paul Penna

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
2. I’m hearing that burned discs, derived from ISO files, may have slight differences in imagery from pressed, which are otherwise compressed and authored., This really only comes into play for review purposes - but can affect the image in small ways.

Affect what aspects of the image? I wouldn't ordinarily expect the color balance or densities to be among those.
In case I came off as dismissive, that wasn't my intention. I'm genuinely curious about the possible effects on the image and how they might manifest themselves in viewing. Thanks.

The Drifter

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Atlantic City is one of my favorite movies, and IMHO features Lancaster's best performance (though I admittedly haven't seen many of his older films)

Very good storyline, and the ambiance/vibe of early '80's AC may as well have been another character in the film.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In case I came off as dismissive, that wasn't my intention. I'm genuinely curious about the possible effects on the image and how they might manifest themselves in viewing. Thanks.
You were not dismissive.

I’m receiving multiple opinions, and the differences seem to br based upon how, and by whom an ISO file is created. The files are supposed to perfectly contain all of the bits and pieces that would make up the final disc - less the disc.

David MacKenzie confirms that files should be identical.

Last edited:

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I have a blu ray of the restored “Atlantic City” which I purchased in Paris a couple of years ago.
There is a 2 minute short about the restoration.
Good news .....all region and has removable subtitles and the quality is excellent!

Attachments

• 7708AEFC-8EE2-41F5-B9B7-CB67E2E8328F.jpeg
    7708AEFC-8EE2-41F5-B9B7-CB67E2E8328F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I've never understood why Louis Malle's 1980 production, Atlantic City, hasn't had a respectful life on home video.

After a foreign release on Blu-ray, it's being offered by several vendors - Target via Allied Vaughn, Best Buy (coming in May) and Amazon, from whom I purchased my sample.

The disc and packaging do not use the Blu-ray logo, merely acknowledging that this is a Blu-ray disc, as opposed to something else.

The Amazon copies are burned, not pressed, and as noted on the packaging, manufactured by Amazon, in Columbia, S.C.

Whether the other examples will be pressed or burned remains to be seen, but the message is clear. Paramount doesn't care about this catalog title.

And that's a pity, as it's a wonderful film, with terrific performances.

Having nothing to do with either the Dutch or cigars, the source appears to be an old master, presumably from an IP.

Minus density is apparent, but never disturbing. Hi-con titles appear a bit ragged around the edges, but acceptable within the scheme of things.

Overall, the release finally allows fans to add a Blu-ray of more than decent quality to their libraries.

There's now no reason for the studio to create anything better.

And that's a pity.

After all, the film was nominated for five Academy Awards - Best Picture, Actor (Mr. Lancaster) in a Leading Role, Actress (Ms Sarandon) in a Leading Role, Directing and Writing.

Who cares?

All three vendors show the product as sharing the same UPC Code, which is odd.

Image - 3.75

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Recommended

RAH
Get the blu ray from France. It is a restoration.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I guess I did. AlI I can say it looks fantastic and I’m glad I have a quality blu ray. I certainly am not going to post the documentary about the restoration.
I’ll have to look into this. It’s interesting that someone other than Paramount would have done a restoration of a film that one would presume did not require it.

I’m wondering if only domestic rights are held, and the elements are in France?

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I’ll have to look into this. It’s interesting that someone other than Paramount would have done a restoration of a film that one would presume did not require it.

I’m wondering if only domestic rights are held, and the elements are in France?
This is the information I have about the blu ray.
The aspect ratio of Atlantic City is 1.66.

"Special Feature: ‘ATLANTIC CITY’ Restauré [2016] [1080p] [1.66:1] [1:59] This special feature shows us the film ‘ATLANTIC CITY’ that has been now restored to 2016 standards via GAUMONT Video. So what we get to view are certain scenes from the film ‘ATLANTIC CITY’ to show the cleaned up version, compared to the original film. We also get a one still image from the film where a tear is soon, that was again cleaned up. There is no sound."

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is the information I have about the blu ray.
The aspect ratio of Atlantic City is 1.66.

"Special Feature: ‘ATLANTIC CITY’ Restauré [2016] [1080p] [1.66:1] [1:59] This special feature shows us the film ‘ATLANTIC CITY’ that has been now restored to 2016 standards via GAUMONT Video. So what we get to view are certain scenes from the film ‘ATLANTIC CITY’ to show the cleaned up version, compared to the original film. We also get a one still image from the film where a tear is soon, that was again cleaned up. There is no sound."
What is your feeling about the presentation. How would you rate it?

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I compared it to the iTunes HD version. The French Blu-ray does not have a Paramount logo, instead it’s Gaumont. The opening sequence is shorter as all credits are about 3 minutes into the film.... Atlantic City USA. The Paramount logo version extends the opening scene with Susan Sarandon an Burt Lancaster and has credits of the main cast and the title ......then the credits resume three minutes later.
The French Blu-ray is superior. All artifacts and blemishes have been removed. The colors are stronger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markmcca