What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Army of Darkness -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I did a quick census, and can report that Sam Raimi's Army of Darkness, has been released in virtually every home video format, over the past two plus decades, in several hundred variants, most notably (as I recall) quite a few DVDs from Anchor Bay, some in special packaging, limited editions, which sell in the thousands of dollars on eBay and other rare home video fodder auctions.

All of that aside, Scream Factory seems to be offering the consulate, ultimate dream edition for the many lovers of this film, and Bruce Campbell fans.

Three Blu-ray discs:

The Theatrical version at 81 minutes, the Director's Cut, at 96 minutes, as well as the International 88 minute cut, and the 90 minute TV cut (in SD).

While I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, as I don't see these films coming out in UHD, this is a title that should never have to be touched again.

Scream Factory's new three-disc set leaves nothing that could seemingly be bettered.

Great color, a beautifully resolved image, superb audio.

It's all there, and it isn't even a limited numbered edition.

Army of Darkness fans, Rejoice!

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It helps that the basis for this release is an all new 4K scan of the International Cut elements, which is far less processed looking than the harvest used for the HD DVD and BD "Screwhead Edition" releases. Apparently the 4K harvest was conformed to the Theatrical Cut and Director's Cut (with additional elements added from other sources), which created a glitch with some players on the Theatrical Cut. I have only watched the Internationnal Cut so far, and it is the best this film has ever looked, which is not damning with faint praise. The number of process shots in this film (including the "Introvision" elements) made the HD DVD look like parts of it were taking place in a snowstorm.

Does it show that I'm a huge fan of this movie?

CobraVerde

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
It WILL be touched again, and soon, since Scream Factory's theatrical edit is missing a shot or two (as well as the International missing a few different shots). They are consulting with Universal and will supposedly be issuing replacement discs.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
CobraVerde said:
It WILL be touched again, and soon, since Scream Factory's theatrical edit is missing a shot or two (as well as the International missing a few different shots). They are consulting with Universal and will supposedly be issuing replacement discs.
I suspected something was amiss. When I opened the package, bits of blue plastic fell out.

Might those be the missing pieces?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
RAH, CobraVerde is making reference to the glitch I described. All the material is there, but an authoring artefact causes some players to skip a shot in the theatrical cut. I haven't checked yet to see if mine is affected.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I was quite happy with the French BD, but the Scream Factory release appears to be definitive. I only wish they'd given the Director's Cut (my preferred version) as much love as the other cuts, but it appears to be the same as the French BD, just slightly lighter in the gamma department. Still, the remastered International Cut and at least partially remastered US Cut (and of course, all the extras) make this the release to have.

Debating whether to wait for replacement discs to be issued, or just buy now and deal with the replacement program later. Either way, as a big Evil Dead fan, I'll be picking this up...and kudos to Shout! for finally getting the US Cut to look (mostly) good. While it may be my least favorite version of the bunch, it didn't deserve the wretched transfers that found their way on to every previous release.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Stephen_J_H said:
It helps that the basis for this release is an all new 4K scan of the International Cut elements, which is far less processed looking than the harvest used for the HD DVD and BD "Screwhead Edition" releases. Apparently the 4K harvest was conformed to the Theatrical Cut and Director's Cut (with additional elements added from other sources), which created a glitch with some players on the Theatrical Cut. I have only watched the Internationnal Cut so far, and it is the best this film has ever looked, which is not damning with faint praise. The number of process shots in this film (including the "Introvision" elements) made the HD DVD look like parts of it were taking place in a snowstorm.

Does it show that I'm a huge fan of this movie?

The Director's Cut was sourced from the extant MGM transfer, it wasn't created from the 4K International scan. And while there have been a couple of editing boo-boos RAH is still correct in the main: the Shout set is superb.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I do kind of wish that they'd done for the Director's Cut what they've done for the US Theatrical Cut...used the bulk of the new 4K scan, and simply spliced in the necessary bits and bobs from the previous master. Not sure why they didn't. Either way, though, for a fan, this set is a must-have.

And while it may not have gotten the same love the International Cut received (or even the spliced-together "best we can do" treatment the US Cut has gotten), my favored cut has come a long way over the years, as well. I remember being really excited when the Director's Cut was first released on DVD...only to find that the extra footage was sourced from a degraded videotape. A pretty big disappointment there. At least until I got the Hong Kong edition of the DVD. That held me over nicely until the French BD came around.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Army of Darkness disc exchange:

CORRECTION: We apologize for any confusion, but this is the correct URL (for step 1 below) to enter your shipping and contact information:

http://cart.shoutfactorystore.com/redeem/default.aspx?sys=SHO&promocode=AODREPLACED1&look=SHO2&pin=AODREPLACE

On behalf of Scream Factory, we want to thank everyone that has purchased our recent Collector’s Edition of ARMY OF DARKNESS. We hope you are enjoying it and all the work that went into bringing it to you, the fans.

It has come to our attention that there is footage missing from both the theatrical cut and the international cut of the film. We will be issuing replacement discs (#1 and #3) to anyone that has been affected.

If your copy of ARMY OF DARKNESS is missing footage and you would like a replacement disc sent to you, please follow these instructions:

Please fill out the form on this page with your shipping and contact information.
Please send an email to [email protected] with your proof of purchase (a photo or scan of your printed receipt or your digital receipt if from on-line retailer).

Replacement discs will begin shipping out in the next 2-3 weeks. When your replacements do ship, you should receive an automated shipment confirmation via email.

If you have any questions or concerns about this replacement program, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected]. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,

Scream Factory

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Received an email Wednesday saying my replacement discs have shipped.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Discs showed up yesterday. By looking at the discs the replacements have a "V2" next to the 5 digit serial number along the edge.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't received a confirmation email or any replacement discs. Have others started receiving them?

I am wondering if I need to reach out to Shout Factory or just be a bit more patient.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Rodney said:
I haven't received a confirmation email or any replacement discs. Have others started receiving them?

I am wondering if I need to reach out to Shout Factory or just be a bit more patient.
I got mine but I'd guess that there's a chance that they didn't get enough discs to meet all the requests so they just haven't gotten to you yet. It couldn't hurt to e-mail them and ask since others have gotten their discs though.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I emailed them about five minutes after I posted on this topic. My patience didn't last very long. :)

They have replied, asking me if I filled out the online form, which I did back in November. I went ahead and filled out the form again, and then again sent them proof of purchase.

Now hopefully I will get a replacement disc soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks