What's new

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The Medved brothers claimed, in one of their books, that the one-two punch of STAR! and DARLING LILI tanking in a big way is what ultimately put the kaibosh on it. Do we know if that's true?
Hugh Fordin's great book tells it all, great info on Annie Get Your Gun and also Say It With Music. Amazon product

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As I recall, Julie Andrews was paid a million dollars by MGM for canceling Say It with Music where she had a pay-or-play contract. When MGM canceled the film, their first alternative was to do She Loves Me with Julie and Dick Van Dyke (oh, the pain of that not getting made with them; perfect casting) and then when they had second thoughts about that, I Do! I Do! with the pair was suggested, but in the end, MGM paid off Julie and made nothing.

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
A shame Garland couldn’t do Annie. It would be a treat to show Annie Get Your Gun & A Star Is Born on a double bill. Variations on the same basic plot: one a musical comedy and the other a musical tragedy.

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Even though it's an occasionally odd, and imperfect musical, Annie Get Your Gun remains one of my absolute favorites.

Re-cast due to the death of Frank Morgan and the illness of Judy Garland, I've always though it would have been better had they placed Ethel Merman in the lead role.

Betty Hutton lovingly bounces about and mugs her way, using her comedic talents, and at 28, appeared more in tune for the role.

But Annie is supposed to be far younger than Ms. Merman's 41 years. What worked on stage - I saw her in the wonderful 1966-67 NY run - from a proper seating distance, won't work for close-ups on screen.

The new Blu-ray, from Warner Archive, is from the finest surviving nitrate elements - mostly the original negatives, with a couple of reels (lost in the Rochester fire) filled in with nitrate masters.

I'll leave it to readership to try and figure out what's original and what ain't.

AGYG is another three-strip success for Warner Archive, and should be in every serious library.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Without a doubt

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
The soundtrack CD released by Rhino (WB) featured some tracks in stereo. It would be wonderful if - where some songs were available with a stereo track - that those portions of the film were featured in stereo - or give us a bonus of the part-stereo version together with the standard mono mix...The stereo "extra" of the extended Atchison Topeka number on Harvey Girls is a revelation - a shame we cant enjoy it in the context of the film. Looking forward to Showboat where I understand a stereo soundtrack has been constructed. Looking forward to watching both on my theatre system!

MatthewA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
As I recall, Julie Andrews was paid a million dollars by MGM for canceling Say It with Music where she had a pay-or-play contract. When MGM canceled the film, their first alternative was to do She Loves Me with Julie and Dick Van Dyke (oh, the pain of that not getting made with them; perfect casting) and then when they had second thoughts about that, I Do! I Do! with the pair was suggested, but in the end, MGM paid off Julie and made nothing.

Did Dick Van Dyke get paid off, too? It is interesting that this played out at M-G-M when if that movie had happened, Warner Bros. would own it now while today's MGM owns his UA musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (along with the nonmusical films he made there such as Cold Turkey and Fitzwilly).

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
No, Dick Van Dyke did not have a pay or play contract. He was not a part of Say It with Music which is where Julie's contract came from. The other potential films never got to the contract stage with him. (At least, not to my knowledge. I'm operating on memories as a teenager when I devoured Variety each week.)

OLDTIMER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken S-B
Just got my copy of Annie. Mostly looks fantastic. Some of the later scenes obviously didn't come from the original negs as the quality is not quite as good. Sadly, once again Warners have mucked up the extras which look pretty awful. I understand this is in the transfer from SD to Blu-ray because Blu-ray does not support SD. I copied the extras from the Annie DVD to a blank DVD and put it with the Blu-ray in a double-case.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Sadly, once again Warners have mucked up the extras which look pretty awful. I understand this is in the transfer from SD to Blu-ray because Blu-ray does not support SD.

Not to be "that' guy, sir, but what you mean to say is that blu-rays don't support SD content progressively transferred at 24fps (as DVDs do) and forces it to appear interlaced on blu-ray at 30fps/60hz. This is why the DVD counterparts of SD content are almost always more desirable.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Which would be why the wonderful bonus short feature 'The Gay Parisian' on the 'The Maltese Falcon' blu ray is sadly virtually unwatchable.

Well, not to derail the thread too much, but that's a case of the short also being sourced (for some strange reason) from an entirely different and vastly inferior element on the FALCON blu-ray vs what was on the DVD. (I still scratch my head over that one.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
narkeshubneha