What's new

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I'm glad this is out in good shape, but although I love musicals, I've never really warmed up to this one. It might be the lack of chemistry between the leads, or the plodding story. I also found Betty Hutton unwatchably manic; talented, yes (and more suitable than Garland, for sure) but just...too much.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
.Annie Get Your Gun will get my full-priced support and attentions, without a blink nor hesitation.:thumbs-up-smiley:

I'm sorry but I just noticed this. While I appreciate your enthusiasm, Philip, why full-priced? Anything you pay between the wholesale rate and the "out the door" price benefits the middleman and has no bearing on what the content producer gets. Or do you just mean you won't wait for a sale?

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm sorry but I just noticed this. While I appreciate your enthusiasm, Philip, why full-priced? Anything you pay between the wholesale rate and the "out the door" price benefits the middleman and has no bearing on what the content producer gets. Or do you just mean you won't wait for a sale?
Well, Will, if it doesn't benefit the content producer...

Just wanted to support the 3-strip cause and WAC's restoration program.

Nonetheless, I won't be waiting for a sale - although tips to whenever they'll have one, again, are always welcomed. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I have a silly question perhaps someone might be able to answer for me. I've tried to find the answer but to no avail. Where does the title "Annie Get Your Gun" come from? Was it a well known phrase at the time the show premiered?

I ask because there's a 1940 Warner Bros mystery movie starring May Robson (based on the 1937 Perry Mason novel The Case of the Dangerous Dowager) called GRANNY GET YOUR GUN. Was THAT a well known phrase at the time? It would be six years before the Broadway show premiered so I'm wondering if "Granny..." was a song or a well known phrase (a la "Katy, bar the door!") that the show is having fun with?

I guess I'm asking which one is the parody title? IS GRANNY a jokey take-off on ANNIE or is it the other way around?

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Wubble

Grip
Real Name
Stuart
I have a silly question perhaps someone might be able to answer for me. I've tried to find the answer but to no avail. Where does the title "Annie Get Your Gun" come from? Was it a well known phrase at the time the show premiered?

I ask because there's a 1940 Warner Bros mystery movie starring May Robson (based on the 1937 Perry Mason novel The Case of the Dangerous Dowager) called GRANNY GET YOUR GUN. Was THAT a well known phrase at the time? It would be six years before the Broadway show premiered so I'm wondering if "Granny..." was a song or a well known phrase (a la "Katy, bar the door!") that the show is having fun with?

I guess I'm asking which one is the parody title? IS GRANNY a jokey take-off on ANNIE or is it the other way around?

Both titles are a play on "Johnny Get Your Gun" which was a well known saying in the early 20th Century used on military recruiting posters and the like and also used in the song "Over There" which was a sort of US military anthem during WWI. The rhyming nature of Granny and Annie is likely just coincidence.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Harrumph!!

ff6caa7d01acfb20c4a512b8b3f40227 (1).gif

Last edited:

JoelA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt

Interesting question Will and it lead me to do a little online research. All I could find was that the original title was simply Annie Oakley and somewhere along the line it was changed to Annie Get Your Gun, but nothing regarding whose idea it was or the origin.

RobertMG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Years ago before Turner bought MGM I had a friend at MGM in NYC I would always ask about the film and if it would ever be seen again - he always told me Irving Berlin refused to let it out because he was really hurt when the mgmnt regime canceled his and Arthur Freed's musical that was meant to be a super duper spectacular musical during the 1960's. He always said the minute Berlin passed away MGM would make the deal with Berlin's estate. And it happened! Seems like the same situation with Goldwyn's Porgy And Bess which WPIX in NYC always ran!

JoelA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Years ago before Turner bought MGM I had a friend at MGM in NYC I would always ask about the film and if it would ever be seen again - he always told me Irving Berlin refused to let it out because he was really hurt when the mgmnt regime canceled his and Arthur Freed's musical that was meant to be a super duper spectacular musical during the 1960's. He always said the minute Berlin passed away MGM would make the deal with Berlin's estate. And it happened! Seems like the same situation with Goldwyn's Porgy And Bess which WPIX in NYC always ran!
Say It With Music, the Berlin/Freed musical that was in development hell for years at MGM and cancelled for good after James Aubrey took control of the studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genechips