What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Along Came Jones -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Classic Flix continues their offering of independent productions with Along Came Jones, an oddity, produced (and starring) by Gary Cooper, in an unexpected comedic role.

And it works, with a screenplay by Nunnally Johnson, based upon a novel by Alan Le May.

I should make note of a pre-feature warning that arrives on screen, telling viewers, that while this is the best the film has looked since 1945 ((I don't believe that), that there were insurmountable problems, so seat belts should remain securely fastened at all times.

To my eyes, every defeat is obvious, but what appears to be either some nitrate decomp or water damage aside, along with momentary loss of audio, there's nothing untoward here against which children must be protected.

The element, especially post-digital cleanup, looks quite nice.

As noted above, this is a most un-Cooper-like performance.

It's an extremely low budget work, with obvious rear projection, and several painted backdrops, which at times makes it look like what it is, but it's a small, good-natured film, that works.

Loretta Young, William Demarest, and Dan Duryea (still partially in noir mode), bring it all together.

Image - 4

Audio - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, another BD release I'm looking forward to so I can discard the MGM DVD that I purchased many years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks