What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ All My Sons – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
All My Sons is quality, classic cinema as seen via the optics of HUAC as it was transformed from it's stage origins to more populist entertainment.

Based upon the play by Arthur Miller about war, greed and love, this is a brilliant film showcasing the talents of Edward G. Robinson, with support from Burt Lancaster and a superb cast.

Kino has presented this Universal film via Universal as opposed to their Paramount holdings, and I expected a better quality Blu-ray.

There's nothing really wrong, but presuming the studio holds better elements, a new transfer would have been nice.

This is derived from a dupe of some sort, with less than wonderful gray scale, and constant tiny movement within the frame - just a slightly ticky image. I presume the original negative is held, and it's a film worth returning for a new master. There was aso a problem in printing the fine grain, as splices were kicked out of alignment on many cuts. A bit of stabilization would help.

Image – 3.25

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
All My Sons is quality, classic cinema as seen via the optics of HUAC as it was transformed from it's stage origins to more populist entertainment.

Based upon the play by Arthur Miller about war, greed and love, this is a brilliant film showcasing the talents of Edward G. Robinson, with support from Burt Lancaster and a superb cast.

Kino has presented this Universal film via Universal as opposed to their Paramount holdings, and I expected a better quality Blu-ray.

There's nothing really wrong, but presuming the studio holds better elements, a new transfer would have been nice.

This is derived from a dupe of some sort, with less than wonderful gray scale, and constant tiny movement within the frame - just a slightly ticky image. I presume the original negative is held, and it's a film worth returning for a new master.

Image – 3.25

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Recommended

RAH
How come Universal didn't return to the original negative? It was a Universal production.

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
I got this on a MOD DVD several years ago, but I'm not sure I need to upgrade. Even if Robinson is a favorite of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks